First Computer Tablets Likely To Arrive In April: Thailand

webfact

First tablets likely to arrive in April

Chularat Saengpassa,

Supinda na Mahachai

The Nation

30178425-01_big.jpg

Chinese firm may be asked for an initial 50,000; Anudith rejects bribery claim

BANGKOK: -- The Chinese supplier in the government's "One Tablet Per Child" project is expected to deliver the first batch of the 900,000 devices by the middle of next month.

Representatives of Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development, which has now been officially confirmed as the chosen supplier, will likely fly to Thailand to sign the purchase contract with the Information and Communications Technology Ministry next week.

Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec) secretary-general Chinnapat Bhumirat yesterday said delivery of the first batch of tablets would arrive within 15 days of the contract being signed.

"It is not going to be a government-to-government purchase contract" as had been widely believed, ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap said after coming out of yesterday's Cabinet meeting. "We will sign the contract directly with the Chinese firm."

He said the Chinese government had just notified the Thai authorities that pursuant to its laws, the Chinese firm must sign the purchase contract itself.

"We have consulted the Council of State and the Office of the Attorney-General and they have confirmed such a contract can be entered," the minister said.

He added that the purchase contract would simply be based on the memorandum of understanding inked by the two countries late last year.

Anudith said the contract would specify the exact number of tablets to be bought, the spares needed, the total cost and the number of offices the supplier would have to open in Thailand.

"It must open offices here to provide after-sales services," he said.

Chinnapat said Obec would likely ask that the first batch of tablets total 50,000 units. "During the negotiating rounds, we talked about 2,000 units in the first lot, but we may well need to increase the number," he said.

Chinnapat explained that Obec would need the devices early to train the trainers on their use before the end of April. In early May, Obec would then have to provide training to about 15,000 teachers and educational supervisors, too.

The agency chief said not all Prathom 1 students would get the devices at the start of the upcoming academic semester.

"I think the second batch will arrive when the semester has already started," he said.

"The delivery will likely be made in three big lots."

Critics have said that attempted bribery in the negotiations might have caused the delayed decision over which firm should be the supplier for the project, an allegation strongly denied by Anudith yesterday.

"They are just rumours," he said.

Shenzhen Scope's name emerged as the firm with the lowest bid on March 5, but the Cabinet only confirmed it as the supplier yesterday.

The ICT minister insisted that the procurement and selection process had been fully in line with the law.

"The panel in charge of procurement comprises senior government officials," he said. "We have got a better deal" after talking to the suppliers again.

The Chinese firm will even upload about 300 learning elements into all of the tablets, he said, adding that although the unit price remained US$81 (Bt2,495), it now also covered transport of the devices to Laem Chabang Port.

The One Tablet Per Child project is based on an election policy pledge made by the ruling Pheu Thai Party.

"The Cabinet has already approved the purchase framework," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-21

"The Cabinet has already approved the purchase framework," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.."

The tablets will be environment friendly and will use solar cells. No charger needed? jap.gif

"The Cabinet has already approved the purchase framework," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.."

The tablets will be environment friendly and will use solar cells. No charger needed? jap.gif

If that isn't a first, since such a device doesn't exist yet worldwide.

Yesterday the news was that Ministry of Education confused everybody with their extra plan to buy better, more expensive tablets for Matayom 1 students. Ministry of Information, Communication and Technology is assigned to buy tablets only for Pratom 1. MoE obviously wants in on the action and doesn't like MICT taking away its business.

Today it appears that MICT has won but then the announcement is from MICT itself, they won't admit to any potential snuggles. Note that they only intend to sign the contract, they haven't looked into details yet and haven't had them vetted by relevant agencies (not tablet specs but the conditions of the deal with Scope). Chinese government apparently has washed its hands and won't guarantee that Scope will actually deliver.

Scope a no name company that has never done business in Thailand, or elsewhere, usually Thai government purchases go to vendors with solid backing and backgrounds, there's a certain amount of paperwork to be filled in. MICT opens itself to all kinds of lawsuits if they break the rules.

Scope's offer is too good to be true - the price, the warranty, delivery to Thailand, service - they promise quite a lot for a lot less than more established companies in this business.

It is quite possible that MICT purchase will fall through, that way MoE can take over the budget and handle all purchases, both for Pratom and Matayom itself but that would mean delaying the scheme until the second semester.

Or it's possible that MICT will handle just this one contract and then MoE will take over.

. MoE obviously wants in on the action and doesn't like MICT taking away its business.

Chinese government apparently has washed its hands and won't guarantee that Scope will actually deliver.

An important aspect that occurred yesterday when they cancelled the government-to-government contracting.

Any problems develop along the course of this sham and it's, "Scope? Scope who?" from the Chinese government.

Scope a no name company that has never done business in Thailand, or elsewhere, usually Thai government purchases go to vendors with solid backing and backgrounds, there's a certain amount of paperwork to be filled in. MICT opens itself to all kinds of lawsuits if they break the rules.

Scope's offer is too good to be true - the price, the warranty, delivery to Thailand, service - they promise quite a lot for a lot less than more established companies in this business.

When they can underbid such well established and already-rock-bottom-priced Chinese manufacturers of electronic junk like Haier and TCL... you know the quality of Scope crap is headed for the trash bin soon.

There's a reason why we don't see Samsung or Toshiba or Dell competing in this bidding process.

• Like 1

The Chinese firm will even upload about 300 learning elements into all of the tablets, he said

There's your software.

where?

no information on WHAT the learning elements are. Do you believe that a 2nd tier manufacturer will have Thai and English education software available????

• Like 2

Go to Scope website, if you are lucky to connect and read it, and hunt for mistakes.

This is from About Us page

"Now we have 7 product lines, and aging assembly lines, silk-screen device and painting workshop, annual production capacity is more than 5 million units."

"Our company purpose: "take of high-tech equipment, high and new technology, effective management, quality service to contribute customers, commitment to social responsibility and mission."

What kind of educational elements these guys with broken English all over their site are going to "upload" for Thai kids?

This is from their spec page for the Scopad:

Main Features: WiFi, strong signal with excellent receiving

Ultra-Slim Design, aluminium alloy body,thickness: min 5.8mm

Nor hot for long time.

Ideally it's the Thai government that should provide them with "learning elements" (<deleted> is a "learning element" anyway?) developed for Thai students, not introduce it with the word "even", as in "The Chinese firm will even upload about 300 learning elements", as if it's something totally unexpected from a tablet specifically meant for school kids.

• Like 1

This is an exchange from their "View Messages" page

http://www.scope.com.cn/en/MessageList.asp

"Mr.

Mr. Diginyet 2012-2-5 15:19:38

i need scopad firmware, my scopad stuck on bootloader and need reinstall firmware.

please send me firmware and guide to reinstall

Reply:

Diginyet President, I suggest that you machine Depot Repair, software, upgrades, tools, drivers are very difficult to send you.The cus"

Cut off mid-sentence but it's clear where it's going.

Edited by volk666

The Chinese firm will even upload about 300 learning elements into all of the tablets, he said

There's your software.

where?

no information on WHAT the learning elements are. Do you believe that a 2nd tier manufacturer will have Thai and English education software available????

Well exactly.

Since w KNOW China is overflowing with Thailands programing elite, and all Chinese read Thai fluently.

(I know I am mightily impressed with all the Chinese translated to English in products I get from mother China....)

And it'as so nice to see the MinofEd posting a public listing of what 'Learning Elements'

it finds important for the Chinese to put in their computer tablets

Edited by animatic

Somewhere earlier in this or related topic it was stated that Thailand would send the apps to be pre-loaded on the tablets to China. Loading of these apps together with the operating system (so they will most likely be non-removable (unless rooted)) would be done by said manufacturer.

http://www.scope.com...MessageList.asp

"Mr.

i need scopad firmware, my scopad stuck on bootloader and need reinstall firmware.

Reply:

Diginyet President, I suggest that you machine Depot Repair, software, upgrades, tools, drivers are very difficult to send you.The cus"

'Direct to the Circular file'.

Translated from Yank English to Brit English

' Right in the tip'.

Let's ignore the fact he could have a remote hard disk download site

and hand out the link for a 'Full OS and Firmware upgrade

and Windows interface software available for free world wide.

And that Android should be available easily.

"software, upgrades, tools, drivers are very difficult to send you.The cus""

Edited by animatic

Somewhere earlier in this or related topic it was stated that Thailand would send the apps to be pre-loaded on the tablets to China. Loading of these apps together with the operating system (so they will most likely be non-removable (unless rooted)) would be done by said manufacturer.

So who wrote Android OS compatible learning apps for the tablets?

Suitable for the OS, suitable for the amount of RAM and Memory storage?

Not a word, but this is not off the shelf stuff.

Or did they think the apps from a Windows Laptop will just work on Android?

Edited by animatic

Yesterday the news was that Ministry of Education confused everybody with their extra plan to buy better, more expensive tablets for Matayom 1 students. Ministry of Information, Communication and Technology is assigned to buy tablets only for Pratom 1. MoE obviously wants in on the action and doesn't like MICT taking away its business.

Today it appears that MICT has won but then the announcement is from MICT itself, they won't admit to any potential snuggles. Note that they only intend to sign the contract, they haven't looked into details yet and haven't had them vetted by relevant agencies (not tablet specs but the conditions of the deal with Scope). Chinese government apparently has washed its hands and won't guarantee that Scope will actually deliver.

It is quite possible that MICT purchase will fall through, that way MoE can take over the budget and handle all purchases, both for Pratom and Matayom itself but that would mean delaying the scheme until the second semester.

Or it's possible that MICT will handle just this one contract and then MoE will take over.

It's like watching a train wreck in process, isn't it?

I'm very supportive of initiatives like the One Laptop Per Child, well thought out, clear implementations, addresses the problems of deploying an maintaining the computers. This thing has all the looks of an empty electoral soundbite that now they are trying to flesh out running around like headless chicken.

It's not just going full steam ahead towards failure, I fear the disaster will be such that it will set back the access to classroom computers for every kid by years.

• Like 1

I think the basic problem here is one of "face" and all these adverse comments, whilst fully valid, are not helping. I would think by now the government is well aware that this is a nonsense scheme, they, I am sure, would like to quietly bury it, but Abhisit and co won't let the issue drop. If this issue would just vanish off the media radar, I am sure it would fade away.

Apart from anything else the Thai Internet system just could not handle the higher traffic load, let alone the International portals.

This is just ugly vote buying. "Vote for me and I (uuhh I mean the tax payers) will give your child a computer"

This will cost the tax payers USD 100,000,000. Within 1 year 80% will be broken. This is (one of) the biggest jokes ever.

This government is all about buying, promissing and spending. Anything to get in power and stay there.

Oh well, the PM is showing her expertise in this field as well. How reassuring. And the tablets should be delivered in April, that would be on the 1st then.

Edited by Tanaka

Personally I missed the news that MoE has any apps ready to use. The only thing I heard they had a meeting with publishers regarding e-book formats and some unspecified studies of a suitable curriculum changes.

PDFs are not the best solution because they are meant to reproduce printed documents and so some important things are permanently fixed, like number of words on each line or page margins, when you view those documents on a tablet (or a phone, or computer screen) you can only zoom in or out to fit the page but that makes scrolling a real bitch and a drag on processing power, at least on Android devices.

There's a reason ebooks are published in any number of formats but PDF, they are essentially good old html pages with some extra tags thrown in for security and such.

http://www.scope.com...MessageList.asp

"Mr.

Reply:

The end of the sentence goes like this... "...The customer's own upgrade is likely to cause the machine to adverse"

man.gifCEO

Mr. Hernando Garcia 2012-2-4 9:53:03

Edited by ThaiKiwi

Removed my comment as has been said before but probably lost in the din of back slapping going on about how bad this scheme/government/planning has been. I honestly believe that the democrats like the majority on here really do think the promise of a tablet for the kids got the PTP into power.

Keep up that kind of thinking and they are going to be in the wilderness for a very long time.

Edited by phiphidon

Removed my comment as has been said before but probably lost in the din of back slapping going on about how bad this scheme/government/planning has been. I honestly believe that the democrats like the majority on here really do think the promise of a tablet for the kids got the PTP into power.

Keep up that kind of thinking and they are going to be in the wilderness for a very long time.

Personally I think most Democrats and lots of members here believe the 'tablet for the kids' is one of the election promises which got Pheu Thai lots of votes. The other promises would include '300B/day', 'higher rice price for farmers (but not consumers of course)", 'no more flooding / no more draught', 'this is not about k. Thaksin' and a few more like that.

Ignoring all this seems to go easy on some of the other posters who have faith, are touched by some spirit, or simply say things because it's not their country nor their problem anyway.

IMHO.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

Personally I think most Democrats and lots of members here believe the 'tablet for the kids' is one of the election promises which got Pheu Thai lots of votes. The other promises would include '300B/day', 'higher rice price for farmers (but not consumers of course)", 'no more flooding / no more draught', 'this is not about k. Thaksin' and a few more like that.

Ignoring all this seems to go easy on some of the other posters who have faith, are touched by some spirit, or simply say things because it's not their country nor their problem anyway.

IMHO.

Did PTP really say no more flooding prior to the voting in their election campaign?

Indeed appropriate.......yet another fix required where the Democrats failed......another promise to be fulfilled

Along with the Tablets

And the minimum wage rise

all coming along nicely..........

Well done Yingluck........