Divorce Issues

Jobo

I divorced my Thai wife a few years ago. Under the agreement she retained custody of our boy and in addition to some other financial arrangements I pay her 25k baht/month child support plus all his private school fees.

The questions I have for any legal experts are:

1. Pertaining to Thai Family Law - I'm now retired and those payments agreed to when I was working are proving a little difficult to afford. What are my options in regard to that 25,000 baht per month?

Not worried about the school fees.

2. The ex has since remarried (may impact question 1?) and this year will move to USA with the new hubby and my son.

What are my legal obligations in regards to continuing any payments once they leave Thailand under Thai and US law?

I don't need any discussion of my moral obligations. I know what they are thanks.

What are my rights under Thai Family Law in regards to contesting her decision to take the boy away?

Any advice appreciated.

Normally child support in Thailand is bewteen 3,000 and 6,000 baht, plus that you share medical and educational costs.

The question is if you entered the fianncial arrangement into the records when you divorced your wife at the amphur. if the agreement was recorded it is a contract that you have to honor. If it was not recorded on paper, there is no contract and you could change the arrangement. if it was officially recorded, it will be difficult to change and might need to go to court.

The first step will always be to try and work out a deal with your ex, if you both agree to a change than there is nothing to worry about. If you can't work it out, you will need to consult a lawyer.

The fact that they will move to the US might be in your favour, but that is something for a lawyer.

The fact that she is remarried doesn't matter. The chid is yours and your responsibiity too. But when she lives in the US, things could change by that fact. Especially if she would divorce again, as in some states her ex-husband would be liable for child support).

The contract must be honoured, but contact a lawyer about under which circumstances you can ask a judge to alter the agreement.

A good lawyer regarding family law is isaanlawyers. I'm sure they can answer some basic questions regarding this if you contact them.

• 1 month later...