Thaksin Sets Himself As A Role Model For Students

george

Thaksin sets himself as a role model for students

Youngsters told how to master English

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra set himself as a role model for students nationwide in practising English language skills to enable them to communicate with the outside world. Talking to students at the Expo for Communicative English Language Learning (ExpoCEL) at Impact Arena at Muang Thong Thani in Nonthaburi, the prime minister turned his luncheon table into an English language debate and told the young guests how he had improved his own English-speaking skills.

Twenty-two students aged between six and 25 who can speak English fluently, with some having won national and international speaking debates in English, were invited from around the country for the luncheon.

Among them was one blind grade 11 student from Nakhon Ratchasima.

Praising them for their efforts in mastering their English-speaking skills, the prime minister said the main problem for students in improving their conversational ability was that they tended to think in Thai, then translate their thoughts into English before speaking or writing.

''I still remember that in my first semester as a university student in the United States, I felt very nervous because my English was not good. Every time I spoke, I did not think in English but in Thai.

''In the second semester, one of my friends told me to think in English and I did it and it made my English better,'' he said. He said he understood that thinking in English in Thailand was difficult, so English teachers must encourage students to think in English whenever they wanted to speak.

The prime minister cited himself as an example. He said whenever he had to attend international meetings he would prefer to speak English and not Thai through interpreters to capture the attention of the participants. He believed that speaking English would enable him to have free-flowing thoughts, even though his English was not yet good.

The prime minister urged Thai students to speak English as frequently as possible with their peers at school and university or even with their parents at home.

Mr Thaksin said he would support schools promoting English language learning for their students with modern technology and foreign teachers.

The students who joined the two-hour discussion said they were happy to have a chance to talk and lunch with the prime minister.

Kanokwan Mahitthikorn, a Matthayomsuksa 5 student of Pak Chong school in Nakhon Ratchasima, said she was excited when she talked to the prime minister. Ms Kanokwan said her English was better because she had practised by listening to songs in English, watching English language movies and surfing internet websites.

--Bangkok Post 2005-12-18

Kanokwan Mahitthikorn, a Matthayomsuksa 5 student of Pak Chong school in Nakhon Ratchasima, said she was excited when she talked to the prime minister. Ms Kanokwan said her English was better because she had practised by listening to songs in English, watching English language movies and surfing internet websites.

Yes, rap music, Ali G and thaivisa will help considerably. :o

He did learn but he'd never make it as a tv newsreader here... He still has a lot of work ahead of him.

I believe one his first tries at the english language as a student in the U.S. was " How much for shipping Mercedes to Thailand?" which he really did... (a bio says he worked at Mc Donalds back then :o )

Yes, rap music, Ali G and thaivisa will help considerably. :D

I think the reporter misunderstood the situation.... this is what the young lady REALLY meant:

Kanokwan Mahitthikorn, a Matthayomsuksa 5 student of Pak Chong school in Nakhon Ratchasima, said she was excited when she talked to the prime minister, because her English was better than his.

as is my barber's English... and he never went further in school than Prathom 4.

Anyone who's heard the PM simply mangle the English language will likely laugh as much as Kayo mentioned. I know I did.

The PM lecturing others on how to master English.....

I nominate that for JOKE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!

:o:D:D

This thread had me laughing outloud. The mans a natural comedian, if not a circus clown aswell

Just a thought now, but how about adding some more english education programs to Thai TV.

No.....no for the expats....just for the kids who haven't got the money to continue school after the age of twelve.....

now that might work.

HM the King speaks very good English (he was born in Boston while His father studied at Harvard). He also speaks good French, and plays the clarinet at a high level.

My question is:

Is this country going backward or forward?

My vote is for 'backwards'. The fact that Thaksin is still in office after raping the country and mishandling almost everything he touches says it all.

He's a role model for racism (Thai Rak Thai) and arrogance.

Oops, this is supposed to be funny... sorry.

There once was a Thai man in Texas

He worked at McDonalds so he says

He cheated on tests

As that was his best

Now everyone must do what he says :o

thanks a lot.... i've wet myself laughing...

An entire team of the best comedy writers couldn't come up with some of thaksin's material.

He really missed his calling by not going around on the stand-up comedy circuit.

Just like Gallagher, an other stand-up comic,

bio29.jpg

Thaksin uses stage props. :o

240px-Thaksin.jpg

thaksin_chicken.jpg

story.thaksin.bush.afp.jpg

Edited by penzman