Can Dentists In Thailand Prescribe Painkillers?

I had a wisdom tooth extracted and part of the bone removed as well as a few stiches put in at Phuket Dental Center about a week ago. I was very impressed with their work and how well they treated me there. The only thing is they told me they would prescribe me painkillers during the procedure and I ended up walking away with a small baggie of Ibuprofen that lasted about 3 days. I was surprised as Vicodin/Hydrocodone is usually what I've received after this type of work in the USA. I didn't take good care of keeping the area clean the week after so a very painful infection started and I had to go back anyways to have the stiches removed. This time it was a different dentist who worked on me and I asked him if he could prescribe me stronger painkillers as the Ibuprofen wasn't working well. He then gave me paracetamol (which I later realized is just acetaminophen after I had left the office). The first dentist told me during the procedure that they don't use nitrous oxide in Thailand (I didn't want to be put to sleep), so this whole thing is making me now wonder if dentists can even legally prescribe real painkillers like Vicodin. Anybody know what the deal is?

p.s. I want to make it clear that I'm not complaining about Phuket Dental Center. I'm still very happy with my experience there and they were also cheaper than many other places I called. I would recommend them and definitely go back if I need any more work done. I just want to know about the legality when it comes to dentists and prescriptions.

Edited by TallFarangPhuket

Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory.It will take the swelling down and relive the pain. My Dentist in the UK prescribes pain killers, so i don't see why a Thai dentist should not.

Thailand is very restrictive about prescribing pain killers even in a hospital. Not like the West at all. I had major surgery and only got morphine in the hospital for 3 days which was about two days short of what was needed.

Better still try Tramal / Tramadol or one of the many copies. Tramadol was developed by the Germans during WW2 as a replacement for codeine (which was unobtainable).

You can LEGALLY buy Tramal from a pharmacist in Thailand. It is touted as a non-addictive form of Codeine.

Cheers, Admiral Ken

Discussion of illegal activity deleted.

It is completely illegal to purchase OTC drugs which by law are restricted to sales by hospitals (with strict reporting requirements) - illegal for both buyer and seller and jail time can result.

As mentioned tramadol is legal OTC and would be the best recourse if NSAIDs (ibuopriofen, Ponstan etc) and paracetemol don't work. Like any drug, read up on contraindications and side effects.

the other option is to go the dentistry department of a hospital, in that case they will be able to provide an opiate when necessary. vicodan is not registered for use in Thailand but hospitals all have paractemol + codeine. Do not however expect to be given lavish amounts, you won't.