Yingluck Gets By With A Little Help

Lite Beer

FCCT ANNUAL DINNER

Yingluck gets by with a little help

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation on Sunday

30178690-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Prime minister charms invitees and takes critics in her stride as she handles foreign correspondents in English

Some members of the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand (FCCT) didn't expect much from Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who gave a keynote speech and answered questions at an annual dinner event on Friday night.

One Western correspondent said as hundreds sat down for dinner he expected many long moments of awkward silence as the PM struggled with her English and mispronunciation. The PM is known for her infamous gaffe when she welcomed US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, saying "overcome" instead of "welcome" and the more recent controversy surrounding her Thai-language address to Japanese investors in Tokyo - without a simultaneous interpreter or translated text.

"It's a pity because she looks very beautiful tonight," said the same journalist, who sat at one of the VIP tables at the Intercontinental Hotel. Yingluck looked charming yet business-like in a light grey jacket and skirt with a hint of stronger colour from a purple shirt.

FCCT President Nirmal Ghosh assured me on the phone just prior to the dinner that the PM would deliver her speech in English but said some ministers accompanying her may answer questions on her behalf.

Not long after Yingluck began her speech, mostly read from a script, she warmed the crowd by urging them to please be kind to her, adding the Thai phrase "na ka" or "please", which succeeded in drawing a round of applause.

Through the course of the question and answer session, she occasionally sought assistance for words and sentences that she didn't quite hear or understand, however.

Some, like a prominent Western Ambassador who sat next to me at a VIP table, appeared to have been won over by Yingluck's charm and pleasant look despite the premier's delicate English.

"Her English is very good. Her English is not bad at all," the Ambassador, who asked not to be named, quipped. When Yingluck ran into trouble, not understanding one question blurred by an Irish accent, the same diplomat interjected: "Irish accent! I don't understand either."

Yingluck survived the grilling in English with some witty remarks, coy demeanour and pleasant smiles, however.

Shawn Crispin, a former Far Eastern Economic Review correspondent now with yellow-shirt-leader Sondhi Limthongkul's Asia Times Online, asked Yingluck if she and her older brother, the ousted fugitive former premier Thaksin, were playing a double game, in which Yingluck presents a smiling face to the public while Thaksin works behind the scenes to undermine his rivals and the judiciary in an effort to gain an amnesty.

"Sorry I don't understand the double game [allegation] because I never play games," Yingluck replied, winning applause.

When I asked Yingluck what she could say to change the minds of millions of Thais who continue to believe that this government is in fact run by Thaksin and not Yingluck, she replied: "Time will prove me."

On why foreign businesspeople should continue investing in Thailand when the minimum daily wage will soon be increased to Bt300, the premier said the move was sought to help workers survive as no major wage hike had taken place over the past decade. She said she would see to it that more infrastructure is built and was confident that Thailand is strategically placed for trade and investment.

At least half a dozen times an aide and the FCCT's Ghosh had to help the prime minister with questions in English that she didn't fully grasp. I helped her once with a shout from my table, which was not far away from the stage, with a Thai translation of the word "prosecution".

There was plenty of delicious English from the PM, such as when she referred to the need to make greater Internet connectivity available in order "to get the broader mind, to get the deeper information".

Nick Nostitz, a German photographer and red-shirt sympathiser, wasn't fussed. He felt people who obsessed about Yingluck's level of English were like "fascists".

Midway through the question and answer session, Yingluck employed more wit and appeared to have pulled it off. Even Crispin, an ardent critic of Thaksin, acknowledged privately at the end that her answer made him look like a bad guy trying to pin her down.

Some continued to comment about Yingluck's English, however. One expat suspected that Yingluck might in fact understand English better than we think she does - and just pretends not to understand in order to deflect questions that she has no wish to answer.

When it was all over, Yingluck thanked the FCCT in English: "Thank you for help me to translate."

And as I made my way out of the Grand Ballroom I ran into Pheu Thai MP Jarupan Kuldiloke and told her that perhaps the premier would benefit from some English-language practice.

But Jaruphan said the prime minister wasn't taking any tutorials as she was very tired at the end of every working day.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-25

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thank you for help me to translate."

Kentucky State University ( Masters ) cowboy.gif

And your masters is from?

And your fluency in Thai is?

The PM's command of the English language is still better than other important foreign leaders such as Putin of Russia, and Merkel of Germany. And the President of the USA speaks how many foreign languages?

BTW, how many expat managing directors ent over to manage the local company units actually speak Thai? One would think that such people living and working in Thailand would be fluent.

Criticism of the PM's English language skills is petty and usually made by insecure people.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Ok, she's an attractive woman and speaks ok English. That's the dessert, where's the main course?

That she inherited a country in the midst of a world economic crisis, on the verge of war with Cambodia and at the time of the worst flooding experienced in Thailand in more than a century. Seems that she has held up rather well as the war was prevented, the nation cared for during the floods, and she has managed to deliver benefits to the poor in a world where other countries are reducing benefits.

• Like 1

Well as for her command of English I personally find it OK for a Thai but not OK for a Masters in a English speaking Collage.

As for the rest she relied on her looks, wit and dress when ever a question came up she had some one else answer it.

The PM's command of the English language is still better than other important foreign leaders such as Putin of Russia, and Merkel of Germany. And the President of the USA speaks how many foreign languages?

BTW, how many expat managing directors ent over to manage the local company units actually speak Thai? One would think that such people living and working in Thailand would be fluent.

Criticism of the PM's English language skills is petty and usually made by insecure people.

Haha! My Masters? Marky Mark and the funky bunch are not my masters but they do have less flying butt monkies within their ranks. Simply pointing out that a person who actually learned English should at least be able to put the correct words together in some sort of properly diagrammed sentence. If i had my druthers she would only speak Thai as she is Thai. But when you come with, "Thank you for help me to translate." it makes me think she should be wearing a helmet. I give her credit for trying but she does have a masters degree from an American university. Did the knowledge dribble out her ears? Thailand is a very small country and the language is not universal as in it would only be used in Thailand not the same of the international language for business which is English.

Don"t have masters, degree in culinary arts.

Edited by FOODLOVER
  • Like 1

And why would anybody want to speak Thai.. English is the language of the financial world, the language of international business, and also the main on-line language, go across the border to poor repressed Burma, and anyone with even a formal education speaks pretty damned good English.. go curl up with your red shirt wife and dog and give us all a break... Speak Thai ...haha... might as well speak Martian... khrup..

• Like 2

I see good old Nick is in there batting away................in the normal role of unbiased journalist.whistling.gif

I actually used the term "language fascists" when i had a chat with Pravit over these ridiculous attacks regarding Yingluck's English.

I have also said, as others have pointed out here as well, that there are more than a few Prime Ministers, Ministers and Cancellors from all over the world, including from some of the richest countries, whose English is far worse than Yingluck's. I can't see what her English language abilities have to do with her capabilities as Prime Minister, and if you believe that stating this is "biased", than i just can't help you.

Personally i find attacks regarding her English language abilities extremely bad mannered.

The overwhelming opinion of most who attended the event was that Yingluck did quite well, deflected the critical questions well enough, and has disarmed many with her charm. Some questions, such as the one asked in a heavy Irish accent, were indeed quite difficult to understand, and others were so convoluted that i also wondered what the heck these people were asking, or if they just enjoyed hearing themselves speak.

Many were quite suprised that Yingluck pulled the event of that well. My view is that many people underestimate her. I have followed her quite closely during the election campaign (as i followed Abhisit), and thought her far more capable than public opinion, and didn't really expect any less of her. Yingluck is not a great public speaker (to which she quite freely admits to), but is very eloquent and knowledgable in a more private setting. Abhisit is a brilliant public speaker and it takes a lot of mental preparation to find a question that unsettles Abhisit. Abhisit though, when he was Prime Minister, was in a more private setting far more guarded and uptight (with occasional burst of Engish humor and sarcasm), while Yingluck is extremely charming, far more open, and quite self-depreciating.

On both sides of the political divide there are politicians that are likable, and politicians that are everything else than. On a personal level - both Yingluck and Abhisit belong to the former. The latter i will not name here.

Edited by nicknostitz
  • Like 2

What a nonsense!!!

First she is Thai PM. It is very good if she can speak good English but it isn't the most important thing.

If she is dressed nice or bad, if she is looking sweet or ugly and says "na ka" or not is complete irrelevant.

It is about what she says, not about the language and the clothes. Would there be the same story if she would look like Samak?

A shame that the Thai PM makes the "help the lovely girl" show and the Nation things it is great.....

Ok, she's an attractive woman and speaks ok English. That's the dessert, where's the main course?

That she inherited a country in the midst of a world economic crisis, on the verge of war with Cambodia and at the time of the worst flooding experienced in Thailand in more than a century. Seems that she has held up rather well as the war was prevented, the nation cared for during the floods, and she has managed to deliver benefits to the poor in a world where other countries are reducing benefits.

Anyone with a brain knows the verge of war was put up to help Big T and the PTP get back in power. It all appears very suspecious that as soon as PTP and Big T win the tension on that area of border evaporated.

Add in her administration's heavily panned and pathetic FROC response to the flooding and that rather than "deliver benefits", all we've heard about are huge reductions and delays on her broken election promises.

• Like 2

The overwhelming opinion of most who attended the event was that Yingluck did quite well, deflected the critical questions well enough, and has disarmed many with her charm. Some questions, such as the one asked in a heavy Irish accent, were indeed quite difficult to understand, and others were so convoluted that i also wondered what the heck these people were asking, or if they just enjoyed hearing themselves speak.

Did I just hear a journalist praising a politicians ability to not answer questions???

• Like 2

Shawn Crispin, a former Far Eastern Economic Review correspondent now with yellow-shirt-leader Sondhi Limthongkul's Asia Times Online, asked Yingluck if she and her older brother, the ousted fugitive former premier Thaksin, were playing a double game, in which Yingluck presents a smiling face to the public while Thaksin works behind the scenes to undermine his rivals and the judiciary in an effort to gain an amnesty.

"Sorry I don't understand the double game [allegation] because I never play games," Yingluck replied, winning applause.

As usual insightful questions from Crispin. No surprise a lame deflection gets applause from the crowd though

Nick Nostitz, a German photographer and red-shirt sympathiser, wasn't fussed. He felt people who obsessed about Yingluck's level of English were like "fascists".

lol. And 'sympathizer' is one way of putting it

• Like 1

I have also said, as others have pointed out here as well, that there are more than a few Prime Ministers, Ministers and Cancellors from all over the world, including from some of the richest countries, whose English is far worse than Yingluck's.

That's true. I don't know how many of them received master's degrees in the United States though

I see good old Nick is in there batting away................in the normal role of unbiased journalist.whistling.gif

As opposed to hmmm, say, Shawn Crispin, "a former Far Eastern Economic Review correspondent now with yellow-shirt-leader Sondhi Limthongkul's Asia Times Online"?

Did I just hear a journalist praising a politicians ability to not answer questions???

It's a bit like a football game - when an opponent has played well, you will respect your opponent. A politician's job is, when faced by critical questions by journalists, to deflect so well that we can't get them. And so it continues.

If a journalist wants inside information, he anyhow knows that he won't get that in a public Q&A. That happens in off the record talks, by confidential sources, etc.

Being too hostile in a public Q&A will result in being cut off from inside information. Hard questions are good, but it still has to be done fairly. And most importantly, it needs preparation, otherwise the journalist can easily end up looking like a fool.

Maybe here on this very hostile forum Crispin gets the applause for his question - but be assurred - in the ballroom of the Intercontinental it was Yingluck who got the applause from the audience, and as you can see from Pravit's article - Crispin knew that he has lost the match. This usually happens when you underestimate your opponent, or when you allow your emotions to run wild.

Haha! My Masters? Marky Mark and the funky bunch are not my masters but they do have less flying butt monkies within their ranks. Simply pointing out that a person who actually learned English should at least be able to put the correct words together in some sort of properly diagrammed sentence. If i had my druthers she would only speak Thai as she is Thai. But when you come with, "Thank you for help me to translate." it makes me think she should be wearing a helmet. I give her credit for trying but she does have a masters degree from an American university. Did the knowledge dribble out her ears? Thailand is a very small country and the language is not universal as in it would only be used in Thailand not the same of the international language for business which is English.

Don"t have masters, degree in culinary arts.

A masters degree from a US university does not require English fluency. Perhaps if you had attended university you would appreciate the number of foreign students in graduate programs that are unable to express themselves in the english language. The language of chemistry is not english, nor is it the language of physics, nor math, nor biochemistry. PM Yingluck's masters is in an MIS related field. How many english speaking IT personnel have you met that are coherent?

It is wonderful that you have a diploma form a technical school in food preparation. However, I do not think this provides you with the experience or knowledge to comment on the PM's academic abilities. I sincerely hope you spend as much time in preparing your meals as you do in petty nitpicking.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I have also said, as others have pointed out here as well, that there are more than a few Prime Ministers, Ministers and Cancellors from all over the world, including from some of the richest countries, whose English is far worse than Yingluck's.

That's true. I don't know how many of them received master's degrees in the United States though

Writing and speaking a language is not the same. Another matter is that public speaking is quite different from having a conversation. In a more private setting Yingluck's English is far better than on the stage.

I cannot understand many Irishmen and Scotsmen, I have severe problems following the dialogue in American films, yet I am a native Englishman with several degrees. There are many overseas students, including Thais, at English colleges, most do a summer induction course to learn enough English to cope with their course material, they are not expected to be proficient, just adequate. So those who criticise Yingluck's English abilities in relationship to her Masters degree simply display their ignorance of the academic system in relationship to overseas students.

As to her letting others answer some questions, this is perfectly normal, ask a British PM a question on the environment and he will most probably pass it to the Minister for the environment. This is why all governments are split into departments, we live in a specialised age with specialised departments dealing with them.

• Like 1

Criticism of English language ability <--- insecurity. Sorry, don't quite follow the causality, GK. Please clarify. Thanks.

Writing and speaking a language is not the same. Another matter is that public speaking is quite different from having a conversation. In a more private setting Yingluck's English is far better than on the stage.

such as this one on one conversation she had with ABC News Zoe Daniel.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2