Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

The AFL have dropped all charges against Essendon's Dr Bruce Reid.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8725259

Good to see this... Of all the people charged in this little drama I felt it was a bit stiff that Doc Reid got dragged in considering his position on the matter..

The entire thing has ended in farce really. Remember at the beginning of the year when the crime commission announced the biggest doping scandal in Australian sport?

What have we seen proved so far? Couple of staff suspended ...coffee1.gif

One would have to assume there is more to follow or else it has been a huge over-reaction.

I remember hearing "one of the blackest days in the history of sport etc etc".

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The AFL have dropped all charges against Essendon's Dr Bruce Reid.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8725259

Good to see this... Of all the people charged in this little drama I felt it was a bit stiff that Doc Reid got dragged in considering his position on the matter..

The entire thing has ended in farce really. Remember at the beginning of the year when the crime commission announced the biggest doping scandal in Australian sport?

What have we seen proved so far? Couple of staff suspended ...coffee1.gif

One would have to assume there is more to follow or else it has been a huge over-reaction.

I remember hearing "one of the blackest days in the history of sport etc etc".

I can't believe I forgot that quote facepalm.gif

I know that there were issues about being able to gather evidence and force people to give testimony etcetera, but come on...the Australian Crime commission really ballsed this one up. They should not have done a huge public announcement without actually having charges to be laid.

Here is a a press release from the ACC in May:

The Australian Crime Commission (ACC) released the Organised Crime and Drugs in Sport report on 7 February 2013 in a very deliberate manner following careful consideration of the issues involved. In releasing the report, the ACC consulted with a range of partner agencies involved in the ACC Special Intelligence Operation including the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA), the Therapeutic Goods Administration and ACC Board member agencies.

The ACC also provided in-depth, detailed and classified briefings to key sporting codes. The ACC then invited the major codes to be involved in the launch of the report. This was done as the sporting codes are considered a strong part of the solution to the issues raised in the report.

The report was never exclusively about criminal arrests, charges and prosecutions because the behaviours of the serious and organised criminals in some instances were not in, and of themselves, always criminal offences. An ACC Special Intelligence Operation is about understanding risk, threat and vulnerability and finding solutions to harden the environment from serious and organised crime. In this instance, it was about hardening the Australian sporting environment from serious and organised criminal penetration. People who have exclusively sought arrests and prosecutions as a result of the ACC report do not understand the concept of an ACC Special Intelligence Operation.

See Full press release Here

Edited by BookMan

Watched Grandstand this afternoon. They were saying that Hawthorn have withdrawn their offer to Buddy Franklin. Apparently they cannot match GWS. The Grandstand commentator stated that Buddy will be in GWS colours next year. 

I was astounded to hear Jeremy Cameron saying he would play in defence to let Buddy play up front...

Another report was saying maybe Patton would leave.

Talk about an embarrasment of riches if they get Buddy.

They'll get major local publicity and support if they get him.

Just heard on the radio that ASADA is expected to hand down infringement notices to possibly 9 senior Essendon players who could be looking at 2 yr bans.

They must have read my post yesterday about their inaction laugh.png

Seriously though...2 year bans for the players....a one year ban for the coach who instigated it? blink.png

Just heard on the radio that ASADA is expected to hand down infringement notices to possibly 9 senior Essendon players who could be looking at 2 yr bans.

Seriously though...2 year bans for the players....a one year ban for the coach who instigated it? blink.png

Hird maybe on of those facing life time bans from ASADA for trafficking. Apparently ASADA have to act or WADA may come in over the top of them.

Hird maybe on of those facing life time bans from ASADA for trafficking. Apparently ASADA have to act or WADA may come in over the top of them.

interesting....The AFL has imposed some sanctions, but now ASADA or WADA want tougher penalties?

interesting....The AFL has imposed some sanctions, but now ASADA or WADA want tougher penalties?

The AFL sanctions as they said from the beginning are in house penalties. A little like little Johnny takes mum's car for a joy ride, gets in a pursuit with the coppers and smashes into parked cars. Johnny gets grounded by mum and sent to his room but is still facing criminal charges by society.

• Like 1

We may very well see the like of Watson rubbed out for 2 years. He did publically admit that he took the substance.....
Bombers in ASADA's sights: reports
14:16 AEST Thu Sep 19 2013

More than a dozen Essendon AFL players and officials are in line to receive infraction notices from ASADA, according to newspaper reports.

The Australian says officials are preparing the legal paperwork to issue infraction notices to at least seven AFL players and officials resulting from the long investigation into the suspect supplements program at Essendon in 2012.

But the final numbers of those who may be implicated may be more than a dozen, the paper says.

The first wave of infraction notices would be issued at the conclusion of the current AFL season.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8726000

Edited by chooka

We may very well see the like of Watson rubbed out for 2 years. He did publically admit that he took the substance.....

More than a dozen Essendon AFL players and officials are in line to receive infraction notices from ASADA, according to newspaper reports.

The Australian says officials are preparing the legal paperwork to issue infraction notices to at least seven AFL players and officials resulting from the long investigation into the suspect supplements program at Essendon in 2012.

But the final numbers of those who may be implicated may be more than a dozen, the paper says.

The first wave of infraction notices would be issued at the conclusion of the current AFL season.

Here is a hypothetical:

If ten or twelve players do get 2 year bans then what about Hird?

As an Essendon supporter and one of the banned players you would have to be filthy with him about it. I have yet to see him feeling sorry for anyone but himself.

Should Essendon players be able to sue hird and/or the club for duty of care breaches, loss of earnings etcetera?

Edited by BookMan

Here is a hypothetical:

If ten or twelve players do get 2 year bans then what about Hird?

As an Essendon supporter and one of the banned players you would have to be filthy with him about it. I have yet to see him feeling sorry for anyone but himself.

Should Essendon players be able to sue hird and/or the club for duty of care breaches, loss of earnings etcetera?

This has the potential to seriously gut the club. No club could afford to lose 1/2 of their senior group for two yrs. Then you have players who have approached AFLPA in regards to being classified unrestricted free agents based on the grounds that Essendon failed to provide a duty of care or a safe work place.

Lose say 12 by suspension from ASADA then another dozen opt out as free agents and no draft picks to cover them all Essendon could be in a big pile of poop and battle to field a team each week.

In relation to Hird I would say he is one of those facing a life time ban from all sports.

Hawthorn

IN

Lance Franklin , Cyril Rioli

OUT

Matt Spangher (Omitted), Jed Anderson (Omitted)

Geelong

IN

Josh Caddy , Jordan Murdoch

OUT

Paul Chapman (Suspension), Taylor Hunt (Omitted)

Fremantle

IN

Michael Johnson

OUT

Tom Sheridan (Omitted

Swans

IN

Ben McGlynn , Gary Rohan

OUT

Kurt Tippett (Knee), Tom Mitchell (Ankle)

ODDS

----

Hawthorn $1.42 - Geelong $2.95

Fremantle $1.30 - Swans $3.55

Edited by Ron19