Tampons In Bkk

jjjthai

I am having issues finding Tampax compak pearl tampons. There only seems to be one brand OB. I have gone to Boots, Watsons, supermarkets, pharmacies, and even gas stations. Anyone know where I can buy some? Or, must I order them from drugstore.com?

Thanks!

Thanks sbk. Didn't think about humidity affecting the cotton. Guess I'll have to find someone to send them to me every few months.

@boo: without getting too graphic. OB isn't as comfortable to insert and I can't get it positioned correctly without feeling like something is about to fall out :)

I know this isnt what you asked, maybe try practicing with ob style? Not just more convenient and small, but also a lot less waste. With applicators being thrown out each time, its really seems like quite a lot of (relatively) unnecessary extra rubbish/garbage in the world. Just a thought (not a criticism!)

Eek, I've tried using them for over a year when I was back in the US because my best friend swore by them. She refused to let me use any other brand to help save the environment. After about a year I gave up on OB.

I actually use a feminine cup but have found that it is quite inconvenient in public places which is why I'm looking for tampons.

Edited by jjjthai
  • Like 1

Hmm, see your problem. You may have to switch to nappies (sanitary pads) as OB are all you can find here. At least you have a whole wall of choices in Tesco in comparison to the OB limited mini, medium and heavy flow choices! It annoys me so much but I've learnt to live with them!

Sonds like you need a dessicant to absorb the humidity. Seal the tampons in an airtight container with uncooked rice. Makes a great dessicant and is readily available anywhere in Thailand. Dry fried rice (Kao Tua?) might work as well.

Silica dessicants would probably work as well but, I would worry a little about silica residual on tampon and sensitivity of area where tampon does its intended job. Good luck --otis

most tampons are individually wrapped so no problems with environmental conditions...when in Nicaragua in 1986 I went to a chemist to find some for an english girl friend...the shop owner was anti-sandinista and said: 'go back to your own country as you can surely find them there...'...it took every effort of will to not lunge over the counter and grab him by the throat...but that's what he would have wanted...

we made do with maxi-pads...tampons and their insertion are considered to be 'inappropriate' in places in latin america...maybe a roman catholic religious concern...the 'holy Father' has blood on his hands...worse than fckin' muslims...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I use a feminine cup (diva cup) and I have never had issues in public bathrooms with them. I just roll up a big wad of TP and set it on that. It's gone with me all over SE Asia and never an issue. Does have a learning curve. At $25 every 5 to 10 years... can't beat that!

I refuse to go back to pads/tampons with all of the unsafe chemicals.

@jjjthai - I had the same issue as you. I tried to use OB for a long time because I don't like generating extra waste, but I could never get them to stay in right and they were incredibly uncomfortable! Plus the obvious problem of them being very messy without an applicator. Definitely not something I want to deal with - especially in Thailand where there may or may not be soap available in the bathroom - don't get me started!

I am really surprised that there are no other kinds of tampons for sale in BKK. Here in Pattaya there are several places I can buy Playtex brand tampons (both regular and super). One of the places is Central in the grocery section - might want to give them a try as I believe there are several in BKK - ? Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I might beable to help? I worked out of Thailand off and on from 2005 - 2010 on an international development project for the Canadian International Development Aency. I often ran into this problem when I really needed/missed something that I could not find. For example I have curly, unruly hair and I desperately searched for hair shampoo and leave in conditioner but it was a challenge. Or when I needed to recolour my hair - which I do myself - I was unable to find a colour (auburn) in the drugstores (Boots, Watsons, etc). I really needed someone to send me those few special products from Canada! When I returned to Ottawa I was asked by former friends and colleagues still living in BKK to buy and send them products they desperately missed and or wanted (Rolo Gold pretzels, Bubblicious, prescription meds from their Ottawa doctors, etc). If you do need something I am happy to assist with finding it here (in Ottawa) and sending it over to you? I call myself "Care Packages from Canada" if I can be of any help at all.

@pxlgirl: I don't understand either. Every Thai woman that I have spoken with about tampons think its weird. That's the first thing they ask me when we get to talking to each other. Why Americans like to use tampons. I don't understand. It has nothing to do with being American? I spoke with one lady and she said it got lost inside her!

@vcbalderson: Thank you very much for offering to help send care packages. I go back to the US once a year, so I'll just make sure I get enough to last me LOL! And my husband comes back every couple of months, so he can bring me some :) I actually found some Playtax at Central World. Expensive, but will work if I need it. I do miss home and the convienences we had there. A quick run to Target or Costco was all we ever needed. Now I find myself craving for some real Cheetos lol

• 3 weeks later...

A few of my thai friends say they have very heavy flow and therefor dont like to use tampons [fair enough]

Im going home for a month' s visit this month can bring you some back ?

PM me if you want me to!

Edited by Carry

Alas, another advantage to menopause.

I once upon a time stocked up on them from Boots as it was the cardboard style most simiar to Tampax brand. Just cotton no perfumes, etc., though I guess bleached w ... dioxins? At least the tube is bio-degradable. Those plastic platex pink horrors are all over US east coast beaches. ( <deleted> Trout it's called.)

I disliked OB too, for hygienic reasons, who wants to dig around in a public loo, and it wasn't absorbent enough. I have used two at a time in fact. MAybe that's how one got " lost " as that other woman was saying.

Maybe that is why Thai women prefer pads, they haven't had a decent choice of tampax.

yes, weird the entire aisle of pads and nothing but.

Once on another forum they were ediscussing why Thai women wore granny panties so often , I had to explain 6th grade female hygiene to them.

Edited by StarFighter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to add to this oldish thread. I've been in 3 large wholesale pharmacy supply warehouses over the past few weeks and none stocked tampons. When asked why, the response was the same at each one "there's no demand as Thais don't use them". I hope that helps.