Weight Losss With Exercise / Without Exercise

robblok

People are more and more putting down weight loss through exercise. I do agree that exercise is not the most efficient way to loose weight. Basically eating less then you burn will lead to weight loss.

There are however certain advantages to exercise too.

-You loose less muscle and that is good because muscle burns more calories as fat.. if only a little bit but on the long run it counts.

- You end up less flabby and will have some nice muscles to show for it. (there are skinny fat people)

- Its good for your heart.

- Weight lifting can increase bone density. Good for people as it protects them

- Stamina.. good for all kinds of things even between the sheets

I have found there are some disadvantages though, but they can be countered.

I noticed that for me its hard to accept i have lost fat when i don't see the scales go down. Basically this is because the other ways of measuring and looking at it are less accurate. So that is for me a big drawback. However when i put on an old pair of pants and i had to use the last hole in my belt to fasten it i knew i made progress. Before i needed that hole at a lot lower weight. So i can only imagine it was muscle i gained and not fat. For other people there are other indications.

I also believe its better to change your eating habits for long term health then temporarily crash diets. Weight always seems to get back then. But i must admit its hard to change your eating habits permanently. I do crave some foods now and again.

Well, I do agree with you that changing eating and drinking habits are prime to loose weight (I just lost 20kg in 3 months). And I also agree and feel with you that it is hard to keep up with the "diet", so I allow myself one free day every week where I eat all I want to (like cheese fondue, chocolate, risotto, goulash etc etc.). But since I keep a healthy lifestyle for the reminder of the week (with meat and vegetable but no pasta, bread, cheese, beer...), I do still loose weight in the long term.

But without sports... I don't think my weight would have gone down so fast - and with sports (I only do crosstrainers / walking / swimming, no weight), I feel much more energy, I don't sweat walking up the stairs or do some body work, thus for me, the combination of the two is the ideal for everybody who does want to loose weight permanently and improve the general health.

I am not saying the exercise won't help because it does. But diet is the most important part of the two. I also have the occasional cheat day else its just not possible to have a normal life.

I am all for exercising I do it a lot because i think the benefits of it are worth it.

just dieting is for people that are to lazy to exercise if you get of you back side and exercise you can eat drink anything you want

i always find it funny people looking for an easy get slim quick fixes for being overweight guess what there ant any.

i train twice a day i eat fried food sweets drink beer and im nearly 40 not one ounce of fat on me all you need to do is sweat for two hours a day

and your sorted if people spent half the time doin exercise instead of reading diet websites promising rapid weight lose it would be time better spent .

you have to train your mind as well as your body plan your day around exercise not exercise around your day

at least 8 hours sleep a night dont have late nights often have a regular sleep patten in bed before 12 up at 6

you dont have to spend lots of money on gym member ship or fancy gear just buy a sit up bench some weights not expensive both of these things

will cost you about the same as one months membership 600 sit ups a day some weight work will kill any fat remember folks diet is important but nothing

have ever been better for losing weight then good old fashioned sweat get of the sofa and give yourself some pain

bitewhentested.. im pretty sure you have at least 10lbs of fat on you, if not more. Also.. 600 situps is excessive.. I have no idea what your trying to do.. there is no such thing as spot fat reduction.

bitewhentested.. im pretty sure you have at least 10lbs of fat on you, if not more. Also.. 600 situps is excessive.. I have no idea what your trying to do.. there is no such thing as spot fat reduction.

Situps to lose bodyfat is a training technique from the dark ages. I can't believe anyone is touting this kind of nonsense.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Situps to lose bodyfat is a training technique from the dark ages. I can't believe anyone is touting this kind of nonsense.

eh are you agreeing or disagreeing with robblok? I am scratching my head alittle. 600 seats up a day seems like a express train ticket to back injuries

Edited by barefoot1988

eh are you agreeing or disagreeing with robblok? I am scratching my head alittle. 600 seats up a day seems like a express train ticket to back injuries

He is agreeing with me.. i mean what the guy is saying is outdated to say the least.

He is agreeing with me.. i mean what the guy is saying is outdated to say the least.

It's not even a good calorie burner. 50 or so higher intensity situps or crunches (with weights or added resistance by machine) twice a week should be enough to bring out the ab muscles which will only show once the fat has been removed anyway.

I think people get the mistaken notion that the lactic acid burn from high rep situps is burning away fat.

Edited by tropo

600 seats up a day seems like a express train ticket to back injuries

Especially if you're not balancing them out with back extensions or other back extensor exercises.

Apart from that, a more boring exercise routine would be difficult to find.

Too many people decide from reading this and that whats best...i recommend go to a professional if you want results, get a structured plan and stick to it...end of story and a positive result.

I don't think too many people would be formulating their exercise programs based on aimless rants on here.

Professionals? That's a joke. No two "professionals" will agree on an exercise program, and if you saw all the "professional" personal trainers down at my gym you'd cringe - provided of course you knew enough to evaluate the ridiculous ways they personally train people.... that's apart from the fact that few (in my estimation - your standards could be lower) have anything like decent physiques themselves.

I will have to agree with Tropo here. Many of the professionals don't know much either. Many of us enthousiasts know a lot more because we usually have been in the gym for years and have read a lot too. However there are also a lot of people here who just write down some crazy stuff. Its hard to know who is right for a beginner.

But ask yourself would you trust a fat diet advisor ? Or a fat fitness instructor. The least it proves is that they have no determination.

I wont say that a guy who is musclebound and ripped knows it all because genetics play a part too but at least he done something right because you don't become ripped and muscle bound by accident.

But i trust rippetoe as a good advisor but he is not ripped or muscle bound but he is considered to be good at what he does.

If you go to bodybuilder forums you will be able to get loads of information from the sticked topics about what is good. Because its usually written by people in the know. Also mistakes will be corrected in general.

But still there is a lot of conflicting information around. This is because some people react different to some things. You will still have to find out what works for you.

But one thing is for sure all those get lean and loose weight in a month things don't work. Else we would all be ripped.

I am now on a long and slow road to become real ripped (lean) i am already in a shape that most people would want to have but i still consider it fat. Only when i have a good 6 pack will i consider myself lean. But for now there is no belly to speak off and a clear difference between my upper and lower abs. But its still covered by fat.

You have to think in months (minimum 3) not in weeks to see progress and how more overweight you are the faster you loose your weight. But the closer you come to your goal the slower it will go.

Edited by robblok

But i trust rippetoe as a good advisor but he is not ripped or muscle bound but he is considered to be good at what he does.

Sure, there are good professionals in the world. Most of us couldn't afford them and they are not in Thailand. Most good professionals have been in the trenches themselves.

I was mainly referring to "professionals" available in Thailand. Jinjinswing in post #11 was suggesting people should go to a professional in order to get results. People may like to know who and where?

Sure, there are good professionals in the world. Most of us couldn't afford them and they are not in Thailand. Most good professionals have been in the trenches themselves.

I was mainly referring to "professionals" available in Thailand. Jinjinswing in post #11 was suggesting people should go to a professional in order to get results. People may like to know who and where?

I agree there.. there must be some good ones but they are hard to find.

But i think it is important for people to have a good program and learn a bit about food if they want optimal results. I lost a lot of time and effort when i was young. If i only knew then what i know now.

• 1 month later...

I agree there.. there must be some good ones but they are hard to find.

But i think it is important for people to have a good program and learn a bit about food if they want optimal results. I lost a lot of time and effort when i was young. If i only knew then what i know now.

I have done once a year detox by joining fasting program, I loss 3-4 Kms after 3-4 days fast with herbal steam bath, and anticellurile treatment. Anyway dietary controled afterward is reccommended to maintain the weight.

Loosing so much with a fast is quite normal as you don't have any carbs in your body anymore. Then water is lost. Its impossible to really loose 3-4 kgs in 3 days because 1 kg is 7000calories that makes 21.000 calories.

A normal human burns around 2000 calories a day so its impossible that its all fat usually its a load of water and the fact that you dont have any food in your body

Loosing so much with a fast is quite normal as you don't have any carbs in your body anymore. Then water is lost. Its impossible to really loose 3-4 kgs in 3 days because 1 kg is 7000calories that makes 21.000 calories.

A normal human burns around 2000 calories a day so its impossible that its all fat usually its a load of water and the fact that you dont have any food in your body

Isn't 1kg of fat more like 7700 calories? Assuming the BMR is 2000 and all the energy over a 3 day fast came from fat, you'd only use 6000 calories - not even 1 kg and even less as you'd be getting some of the energy from protein and carbs during that fast. If you weren't doing much exercise, which is quite likely during a total fast, you'd probably lose some muscle mass and hold onto fat because a lot of the muscle mass is stored energy.

You can notice this if you stop training for 3 or 4 days - your muscles go flat and lose that pumped up feel you get if you train everyday.

Edited by tropo

Tropo about the fat i heard stories from 7000-9000 so i just say 7000. Anyway my muscles are flat now because what i am on. This was my last day on it and soon my muscles will fill itself with energy again and get bigger.

It was a nice experiment but im not sure its worth the discomfort i felt the last 5 days. (first few days are ok).

• 3 months later...

Exercise is necessary to maintain the health, lose the extra body weight , and improve the fitness level.

Nobody can't get fitness without the regular exercises.

To shape up your body you should do some exercises regularly.

More preferable are the cardio exercises, you can also do some weight exercises at gym but more effective are jogging, running, and swimming.

Edited by Kim25

Exercise is necessary to maintain the health, lose the extra body weight , and improve the fitness level.

Nobody can't get fitness without the regular exercises.

To shape up your body you should do some exercises regularly.

More preferable are the cardio exercises, you can also do some weight exercises at gym but more effective are jogging, running, and swimming.

Actually you hear a lot about the opposite that weight training is more beneficial. But i think if it comes down to just burning calories cardio still wins.