Motorcycle Tax And Insurance Expires

docspinoff

In September 2011 I bought a New Honda Wave ,it came with Tax and insurance. But the time has come for me to go home to England ,But when I return to Thailand in November 2012 the Tax and insurance will have expired ,So is it best to get a friend to Re tax and insure it ?

or is it easy on my return to re tax it my self ? don;t we have to get new plates each time we tax it ?

any help would be good I now live in Hua Hin

and also do I need to notify any body that i have moved ?

There is no problem to pay expired road tax and purchase the basic govt required insurance after it has expired.

You need to buy the insurance first, as they won't let you pay the road tax without it.

As far as changing your address in the greenbook, it's entirely up to you.

Edited by BigBikeBKK

This happened to me last year. Original registration was September, but I didn't return until late October last year.

Drove (illegally, I suppose) to the nearest LTD to up the rego and insurance. I did point out that I was late, but both insurance lady and rego lady just smiled and gave me the necessary papers and stamps.

When I indicated that I'd be doing the same thing again this year, and I anticipated some problem, she clearly said, "No problem."

So, doing it a month or so late seems to be no difficulty at all. I still worry a bit riding about for a few days until I get it done, as the rego and insurance have clearly expired, but I guess the bureaucracy doesn't mind.

This happened to me last year. Original registration was September, but I didn't return until late October last year.

Drove (illegally, I suppose) to the nearest LTD to up the rego and insurance. I did point out that I was late, but both insurance lady and rego lady just smiled and gave me the necessary papers and stamps.

When I indicated that I'd be doing the same thing again this year, and I anticipated some problem, she clearly said, "No problem."

So, doing it a month or so late seems to be no difficulty at all. I still worry a bit riding about for a few days until I get it done, as the rego and insurance have clearly expired, but I guess the bureaucracy doesn't mind.

Same thing here, went back to UK, left motorbike with GF, came back, she hadn't bothered doing it and seemed not too fussed. I rushed down to DMV thinking I'd be taken away in handcuffs or something, the girl at the counter wasn't bothered, made me pay a 'fine' of 1 baht per overdue month!!!!!

The whole process seems to be like anywhere else, take bike to approved garage for check, take paperwork back to DMV, get insured, get taxed. No changing of plates.

I've parked next to bikes in town with reg stickers long expired (talking years), so I think you would be really unlucky if you got pulled for being a month or two overdue.