Driving During Songkran

SidJames

Folks,

I'm flying from Swampy on the evening of the 19th but I've been advised that Pattaya comes to a complete standstill on the 18th & 19th due to traffic coming into town for Songkran & all the RTAs that are caused by it.

What advice do you have on driving out of south Pattaya to get onto the 7 to BKK?

Thanks

SJ

Songkran ends on the 16th. Don't see why you would have particular traffic problems on the 18th and 19th.

Leave early in the morning I'd say.

WRONG I guess you don't live in Pattaya, the main day for Pattaya is the 19th. All roads will be log jammed until late evening, including Sukhumvit. I would leave very very early or overnight on the 18th close to the airport.

Edited by RabC

I disagree. I have spent many songkrans here and have NEVER seen sukhumvit that crowded even between Pattaya Nu and Pattaya tai.

Not 1 time have I EVER seen sukhumvit at a stand still.

I disagree. I have spent many songkrans here and have NEVER seen sukhumvit that crowded even between Pattaya Nu and Pattaya tai.

You're surely on a wind up there fella

I made the mistake about 3 years ago to do a visa run on the 19th and it took over an hour from BPH to Pattaya Klang at which point the driver kicked us all out of the van. That was about at 16:00. Up to you whether you listen to someone who has been caught in it or an ill informed opinion.

Edited by RabC

You're surely on a wind up there fella

Similar problem here. I am flying in on the 19th @09:00 & live in Jomtien. I had considered staying in BKK for the night but I really want to get home so I will either catch the regular bus , the bus stop in Jomtien is only a few blocks from the condo , I would run the gautlet , would have to be the 11:00 one as you can't book in advance. The Bell bus that I usually catch would be no good as the mini bus from North Pattaya goes all over the place dropping people at hotels. Second plan is a taxi or limo straight down Sukumvit/Tepprasit.

Will these main roads really be closed late morning, early afternoon ?

Songkran ends on the 16th. Don't see why you would have particular traffic problems on the 18th and 19th.

WRONG I guess you don't live in Pattaya, the main day for Pattaya is the 19th. All roads will be log jammed until late evening, including Sukhumvit. I would leave very very early or overnight on the 18th close to the airport.

No, I dont live in Pattaya. REAL happy about that, too.

But if you say the main day is 19th, who am I to argue? Just wonder why it is on the 19th in Patters.

No, I dont live in Pattaya. REAL happy about that, too.

But if you say the main day is 19th, who am I to argue? Just wonder why it is on the 19th in Patters.

For some reason only the City Hall can understand Pattaya actually has a full week of it, which culminates in gridlock and standstill on the 19th.

I believe you Rab but Gone sounds like he has a way around things on the Suk wink.png

Not really. I also HATE songkran in Pattaya and try to stay in but several years I was the guy driving my pick-up while my Thai friends, gf etc. were in the back but I knew it would be gridlock no matter where we went and it was kinda funny although never again. lol

But as far as Sukhumvit goes I never really had problems, just drive slow because there are a lot of people and action of course but I have never been at a stand still for more then a minute or 2 while being sprayed etc then just moved on.

As soon as you turn off of Sukhumvit (and all the turning lanes) then it is gridlock. Sukhumvit is 4 lanes so usually there is at least 1 or 2 lanes you can drive strait on at a slow pace.

I do admit that Pattaya has to be one of the worst places (I should say IS) in Thailand for songkran and most of that is tourists with high power PVC guns and pissed to the guil.

I believe you Rab but Gone sounds like he has a way around things on the Suk wink.png

Not really. I also HATE songkran in Pattaya and try to stay in but several years I was the guy driving my pick-up while my Thai friends, gf etc. were in the back but I knew it would be gridlock no matter where we went and it was kinda funny although never again. lol

But as far as Sukhumvit goes I never really had problems, just drive slow because there are a lot of people and action of course but I have never been at a stand still for more then a minute or 2 while being sprayed etc then just moved on.

As soon as you turn off of Sukhumvit (and all the turning lanes) then it is gridlock. Sukhumvit is 4 lanes so usually there is at least 1 or 2 lanes you can drive strait on at a slow pace.

I do admit that Pattaya has to be one of the worst places (I should say IS) in Thailand for songkran and most of that is tourists with high power PVC guns and pissed to the guil.

I will endure it in Isaan where the foreign residents and tourists are vastly outnumbered by Thais and I will still have to drive with my windows up and the doors locked, with nary a farang in sight.

Edit out parts.

Edited by chuckd

From the Bell travel web site:

Please be informed that on April 19, 2012, Bell Travel Service in Pattaya will not provide a pick-up or drop-off services between

Bell Office and hotels in Pattaya due to Songkran Festival in Pattaya city.

One of the reasons is that it doesn't make sense to celebrate in Pattaya from 13-15 April, because most Thai inhabitants of Pattaya will be in the outback with their families.

I'm living in Bang Saen at the moment, and I'll move to Jomtien Complex for 3 days, during Songkran. Bang Saen is a real mad-house for 5 or 6 days.

Anyway.......if one doesn't like Songkran or the traffic congestion during Songkran.......stay at home or stay away!!

19-4 is THE day and Pattaya should be avoided!

To have any hope of getting out of Pattaya on the 19th, you would need to be gone, very early in the morning --- say 6am or 7 am. Forget buses --- private car is your only choice. Having said that, I always thought the blowout was on 20th.