Lifan Cross 200

loserlaser, I would have thought his name..canuck-amuck...would have spelled out that he doesn't follow the worldwide view of a stereotypical Canadian (even though I've never seen him post anything onerous on this forum).

And the other posters are right; you're posting as poorly as Tony does when he spams the Honda threads. I'm sure that canuckamuck is incredibly sorry you understood his post to be insulting to your dear departed mum, and he will show sensitivity in the future to where you do not have to concern yourself with this thread.

As Pat Condell says "Peace".

Yes your right Dave, the mom comment went a direction I hadn't intended. I would apologize without hesitation but seeing as though he had go at my mom, my race, and made actual threats, I won't

But I do maintain that LL only comes to this and the other Lifan threads only to belittle the brand and the owners. We have heard his comments; they are the same over and over. I have a Lifan Cross and have had it for more than a year, I like it, I don't love it. I am quite happy that there is more chatter about the bike, for a while I seemed to be the only one out there.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just put a deposit down on the cross,the guy is changing the front fender and headlight and casing for me and also hand guards and small square mirrors and getting me a price to powder coat the wheels black.will post pics when i pick it up.

Took the Lifan on a 260K trip yesterday! Thanks to "DutchRider" from this forum for taking me out and introducing me to some great trail rides around Lam Nang Rong Dam in Isan, near the Cambodian border.

Here's the nice clean Lifan when we finally hit the dirt.

Lifan-Clean.jpg

Here's the Lifan after splashing through a few mud puddles.

Lifan-Dirty.jpg

Here I am at the Lam Nang Rong Dam.

LIfan-Me-Lake.jpg

Taking a break...

Lifan-Me.jpg

Edited by ryanwiley
  • Like 2

And, finally, here's me having a bit of fun with the Lifan torque. ...rolling along mid range, 2nd gear...lean back, hold on tight, and gun it...let the Lifan torque do the rest! PHOTOGRAPHY BY "DUTCHRIDER."

Mighty-LIFAN-Wheelie-5.jpg

Edited by ryanwiley

Nice pics, you seem happy with your new toy.

I took mine out yesterday on a trail I have been meaning to try. About 40k round trip, all of it bush road. I enjoyed it so much I brought my wife with me today and did the same trail.

I was impressed that the bike handled quite well despite the added 50+kg on the back. What I lost in handling I gained in traction. Just about 140kg for the two of us

Anyhow this was quite a test for a bike as there are several steep climbs and a lot of ruts to navigate. Despite the constant bumps we only bottomed out once in the back and not at all in the front

The bike never missed a beat and a good time was had by all.

So, how'd the Lifan do? It was great. I took off at 9 am and drove 50K on the road from Buriram to Nang Rong, where I met up with "DutchRider." My cruising speed was about 80KPH. The Cross 200 will cruise faster, but that's where I feel comfortable on this bike, on the pavement, on off-road tires--especially with all the dogs, cows, chickens, kids, cars and buffalos alongside the road. After Meeting up, "DutchRider" and I drove about another 50K on the back roads to the Lam Namg Rong Dam, where we hit the dirt.

Here's a GPS track on Google Maps--looks best using the "satellite" option, really cool if you use Google Earth.

https://maps.google....95cc43e9e0a8450

Along the route, we hit thick sand, big holes, bumps and ditches--and even even a few good mud puddles. I'm 90 Kilos. I hit everything as hard as I could handle--and I was trying my best to catch a little air whenever I could--and the Lifan powered through all day with no problems! It's got lots of torque, decent suspension, and I felt no weird vibrations or rattles.

After a great day on the trails, we rode about 65K on the pavement back to "DutchRider's" place, where he introduced me to his family, bought me a cold drink, and showed me around his beautiful countryside home.

At about 5 pm, I hit the pavement back to Buriram, about 40K away. Today I took the Lifan to a detail shop and got a 100 Baht washing. With all the mud gone, I gave the bike a good looking over. Other than the chain being bone dry from all the dust, everything was in order, and I'll be riding it to work in the morning.

For those wondering about "getting what you pay for" here is my take on my 45,000 Baht Lifan Cross 200 compared to "DutchRiders" 140,000 Baht Kawasaki KLX 250. First of all, look at the picture above of the 2 bikes side by side. You'll see that the KLX has massive front suspension compared to the Cross. Also, you can't see it in the picture, but the KLX has a huge center spring with a hydraulic canister where you can quickly and easily adjust the firmness of the ride.

This difference in suspension size and strength made a huge difference in performance. We hit a section of dirt road that had massive holes and ditches. I'm a fairly experienced off-road rider, and I was pushing hard, but, still, it didn't take long before "DutchRider" was out of site. He stood on his pegs, gunned it, and let his bike absorb the terrain. I found him a bit later on the side of the trail waiting for me to catch up!

The KLX also has a 250cc, water cooled engine, compared to the 200cc, air-cooled Cross. This, obviously, gives the KLX a huge power advantage. Still, though, I think the biggest performance advantage, off road, was the far superior suspension.

In addition, the KLX has a stronger, smoother 6-speed gear box, compared to the 5-speed Cross, which gives the KLX a huge advantage when cruising back home on the highway. Where I'm comfortable cruising at 80-90K the highway on the Lifan, the bigger, heavier, better-geared KLX is smooth at much higher speeds--still got to watch out for buffaloes, though.

The KLX also has lots of better ancillary features, such as nice digital dashboard. Overall, the KLX is a much bigger, stronger machine with far superior components, which gives it a huge performance and reliability advantage.

Still, the Cross performed quite well, even with a 90 Kilo guy giving it a good beating. My overall assessment is that the Lifan is a low-tech machine that can't really compete performance-wise with the much bigger, stronger, more expensive, Japanese bikes. It's no joke, though, and I think the Cross 200 is well worth the 45,000 baht price tag.

Happy trails!!

Ryan

Edited by ryanwiley

So easy to get the front end up then,thats good news.any problems with the bike while out riding?

No problems at all. There was a slight "grinding" kind of noise coming from the from wheel when I took it out this morning. After reading about Canucks bearing problems, I was a bit worried. I was going to take it to the dealer to have a look after the washing. After a good washing, though, the noise was gone. ...I think just some muck jammed up into the front brakes.

Nice pics, you seem happy with your new toy.

I took mine out yesterday on a trail I have been meaning to try. About 40k round trip, all of it bush road. I enjoyed it so much I brought my wife with me today and did the same trail.

I was impressed that the bike handled quite well despite the added 50+kg on the back. What I lost in handling I gained in traction. Just about 140kg for the two of us

Anyhow this was quite a test for a bike as there are several steep climbs and a lot of ruts to navigate. Despite the constant bumps we only bottomed out once in the back and not at all in the front

The bike never missed a beat and a good time was had by all.

Sounds like a nice ride Canuck. Great that you have a wife who's game for a bit of riding! Even with 140K on top, these bikes have plenty of torque for climbing!

Have just put a deposit down on the cross,the guy is changing the front fender and headlight and casing for me and also hand guards and small square mirrors and getting me a price to powder coat the wheels black.will post pics when i pick it up.

Congrats, Moto! What color did you get--guessing black since you're powder coating the wheels. Just curious, why are you changing the front fender and headlight casing? I went to a shop today to see about getting a stone guard under the gearbox--they were closed. Hopefully be able to sort one out next week.

Well Ryan, i couldn't describe yesterday's ride better, btw my thaivisa name is Dutchbike.

As seeing the Lifan cross in action and have a close look at it, i really think it's good value for it's money, for those who are wondering....... nothing fell off smile.png

We hit some pretty rough trials and the Lifan could go where the KLX went, sometimes at a bit slower speed, but that's because of the suspension which is far more superior on a KLX ( which is 3 times the price of a Lifan) you get what you pay for and for those who are on a budget or just don't want to spend much on a bike it's in my opinion a good choice, 45k for a brand new off road bike.... which really CAN go off road.

Of course the future will tell how it's holding out in a year or 2. but parts and maintenance are cheap.

happy trials

Dutchbike

Congrats, Moto! What color did you get--guessing black since you're powder coating the wheels. Just curious, why are you changing the front fender and headlight casing? I went to a shop today to see about getting a stone guard under the gearbox--they were closed. Hopefully be able to sort one out next week.

Let us know about the the stone guard, I need one too. Also if anyone is looking into changing forks I would be happy to learn whats available.

Getting a blue one,having black hand guards fitted and small mirrors,changing the front fender to a bit of a lower one and a better headlight and casing,as for the wheels i have always had black rims on my other mx bikes and thought i would do the same this time,but waiting to hear how much,maybe a waste of money but always want my bikes to look good!will try to post pictures but don't know how to do from the i pad!

other than the issue i have had with it not shutting off, which turned out to not be a short but a loose connector due to my stuffing too much crap under the seat my only real complaint to date is the quality of the bolts that hold the body panels on which seem to be made of a very durable form of playdough. Kudos for saving weight but the heads strip really easily. Any better replacements? Also looking for the stoneguard...

No different mirrors on that one,but i am putting on black rectangle small ones,the shop wanted to give me a free helmet but i have an arai helmet so said to put the new mirrors instead for free,they have a blue tint to the glass and are smaller and sit down lower so maybe will not break if and when i drop it!

Looks great! I love those brush guards, and the mirrors are cool. ...not totally sold on the headlamp for a dirt bike. ..looks a bit "racey" for my tastes. With the Motard tires it would look cool, I think. In any case, nice mods! How much were those brush guards? Any word back on the price for powercoating the wheels?

I just dropped off my bike for the 1000K service. I have no idea what they're doing. I just drove into the dealer and pointed at the odomoter. Guy said "yeah, yeah' yeah, and off he went with it! ....It will probably come back a different color!!

After lunch, I'm going to another shop to see about a stone guard.

Also, I'm thinking about buying this riding set and having it shipped here. It's $87 for Pants, Jersey and gloves. With shipping, its about $130 + import duties. Before I get something like this shipped all the way over here, does anyone know of a local place to buy this stuff. It seems much more expensive here!