In Desperate Need Of Role Models In National Politics: Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

In desperate need of role models in national politics

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's democratic process is doomed if we continue to be plagued over and over by greedy, self-serving politicians and their business cronies

The ongoing political infighting among the two major political parties has been going on for the past 10 years. A deep-rooted ideological divide is just one of the many cracks that rip through our society. The political conflict is not going to end anytime soon. It is a disappointing setback to the kingdom's long and painful struggle towards some form of democracy. Our constitutional democracy is not making much progress. Yet there's a useful lesson that must be learned: our political world, increasingly dominated by politicians of the 1950s and 1960s generation, simply lacks inspiring role models.

Increasingly exposed to politics played out on television, our children are growing up watching unsavoury characters caught up in the relentless material pursuit of power, uncontrolled extravagance, influence and wealth.

Thailand is still stuck in an era in which politics remains a family business. There are dynasties out there waiting to carve out their piece of the cake. It's a domain where young people with education and the intent to better this society cannot thrive on their own merit, with their own ideologies, commitment and good intentions.

We see these well-educated, well-groomed politicians from well-known families bowing to the allure of power, wealth and prestige. They are focusing less on ideologies and policies and more on personal political clout and connections. They feel they need to belong to a political clique, a faction, or a vaguely defined political movement to thrive and achieve their own ends.

Look around the political landscape and the picture is murky. We have a national leader who doesn't seem confident leading the kingdom on her own terms; a former prime minister who's on the run from jail; banned politicians about to re-enter national politics; convicted former ministers who go into hiding in neighbouring countries to escape corruption charges; and greedy politicians too busy jostling for top posts. Now we have a general who was behind the 2006 coup, telling us in his ironic capacity as chairman of the National Reconciliation Committee to forget everything in the past as part of the reconciliation process.

And that's just one area. Beyond this, a top civil servant is accused of amassing unusual wealth; narcotics-suppression officers rounded up for doing drug deals; and double-dealing businesspeople who bribe politicians for their own ends. In academia, attempts exist to stifle outspoken members. We are so disappointed with the 1950s and 1960s generation. They are outdated and drag down our democratic ideals. They refuse to show us that they can serve as good examples to society.

We need to show kids that there are good examples out there to follow and count on. Instead they see animosity, hatred and anger growing in Parliament and on the streets.

If a role model is the epitome of goodness, then this is what our country is lacking. We need change. But change begins with a change in thinking. All of us need to raise the moral tone of society by imparting the ethics of truth, integrity and common purpose at the highest and lowest levels of society.

The educationally privileged need to see that they share a responsibility for social improvement through individual exertion. They need to consider that there's purpose and self-fulfilment to be found in distributing national wealth evenly and in ministering not just to the economic, but also the moral needs of the downtrodden. Together we need to develop mutual assistance and solidarity.

The point is, we need people who can communicate moral truths across the political and economic spectrum. By integrating moral rights and ethical principles into national politics, society can tackle social ills and further the Thai democratic ideal in the longer term.

What we need is to eradicate greedy capitalists from political life. To develop that kind of society, both the well-to-do and the less fortunate need to come together to connect and engage and develop a pervasive liberal and moral political culture in mainstream politics that is fair to all.

The country's political path rises and dips. But the privileged and downtrodden alike need to understand that only they, not any short-lived undemocratic force, can pull themselves up by the bootstraps, in an effort to develop constitutional democracy.

The problem is that the intellectual elite has little contact with the less fortunate in society, and ignores the economic wellbeing of the less advanced majority. Where's that vibrant community spirit that once drew village folks together to lend a helping hand during the harvest season? Where's the Thai adherence to the liberal culture of Ayutthaya, where anyone was free to choose their own religion and career? Where's that freedom of spirit that arrived during the Fifth Reign as slaves ceased to exist and men lived as equals?

We need public moralists who can communicate moral messages, a vibrant atmosphere of thought and a body of ideas that will at once provide unity and direction to our society.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-28

Role model? After the King, Prem is the 2nd best role model. Third is Mark. Follow closely by Sondhi who dare to fight evil Thaksin.

Mark: inefficient, braking Thailands and international law (Victor Bout). Sondhi might have done great things but a leader must be clean and Sondhi has a dark spots in his dark.

The sad thing about this article is the expectation that somehow politicians can be role models. This is not possible. Such people are takers and self consummed narcisists by nature. The call of easy money and power with no need for competency or responsibility is simply too irresistable for these types, so government is rife with them from top to bottom. They give lip service to serving the public, but these people have no understanding of service and certainly could care less about the public. Obama is a perfect example of such a person in my own country - a nobody who rises to power out of nowhere through corrupt money to serve as their puppet to do only their bidding and nothing else. Such people NEVER put the public's interest ahead of their own or those who hold their purse strings under any circumstances. This is especially true in a country like Thialand were wealth, or the appearance of it, means literally everything. Here's an idea - how about having the parents step up? Nothing makes me prouder than when my daughter is asked who is her most influential positive role models and she says "her parents!"

If you go back in history you find some role models in US history....not the Bushs and Obamas but at the founding.....

I don't know where these rose tinted specs come from to claim that this has only been an issue for 10 years. Politics all over the world is a pretty dirty game, Thai politics has been some of the dirties for ever. No one enters politics in this country because they have some desire for public service. Thai politics is so entwined with business, it is difficult to know where politics ends and business begins. And as for public interest, that tends to equate directly to the size of the bank balance of the dominant company in their given Thai market.

Just about every major company in the country has some kind of government granted license, or is protected behind legal barriers to prevent competition, and this situation has been perpetuated by ALL parties since time immemorial, and meanwhile, screw the little guy.

The sad thing about this article is the expectation that somehow politicians can be role models. This is not possible. Such people are takers and self consummed narcisists by nature. The call of easy money and power with no need for competency or responsibility is simply too irresistable for these types, so government is rife with them from top to bottom. They give lip service to serving the public, but these people have no understanding of service and certainly could care less about the public. Obama is a perfect example of such a person in my own country - a nobody who rises to power out of nowhere through corrupt money to serve as their puppet to do only their bidding and nothing else. Such people NEVER put the public's interest ahead of their own or those who hold their purse strings under any circumstances. This is especially true in a country like Thialand were wealth, or the appearance of it, means literally everything. Here's an idea - how about having the parents step up? Nothing makes me prouder than when my daughter is asked who is her most influential positive role models and she says "her parents!"

If you go back in history you find some role models in US history....not the Bushs and Obamas but at the founding.....

gandhi? annie besant? mandala? aung san su chi? - nothing near any of them here but they did (do?) exist but they have to have ETHICS and care more about changing history and serving than taking - a very, very rare thing but it is possible

An interesting angle which was not pursued by the article is how to become a politician in Thailand.

There are numerous legal, financial and administrative barriers which prevent people who are neither connected, wealthy or members of a clan both successfully managing to get their name on a ballot paper or having any access to the media.

If they do surmount these very formidable obstacles and try to reduce corruption, they are likely to be either sidelined or if that doesn't work, shot.

Very difficult to even try to find here, as near all (even the general public) have got some fingers in pies. Most M.P.s seem not to be individual thinkers, they are caught up in the Thai game called R.Slickers. and rarely speak their true feelings, as the greed overcomes them, accruing personal fortunes. Every area of government is and has been infected for a long time now.

Asking for younger independent persons to rise up to the high levels-near impossible, these are noted and kept from office. VERY SAD situation. It's Thailands choice and they made it last August, now to live with it as the power is too much to change.

Anyone who posts on Thai Visa and advocates this government is wonderful, needs urgent therapy, especially when they openly applaud corrupt decisions, and never criticize the wrongs that occur. Why can we not have more transparency with posters, and speak honestly about the powers that be.

I speak mostly against the said government because my home beliefs tell me I can smell a rat when there is one. Enjoy T.V. be more open minded. like me -Bash when needed.

An interesting angle which was not pursued by the article is how to become a politician in Thailand.

There are numerous legal, financial and administrative barriers which prevent people who are neither connected, wealthy or members of a clan both successfully managing to get their name on a ballot paper or having any access to the media.

If they do surmount these very formidable obstacles and try to reduce corruption, they are likely to be either sidelined or if that doesn't work, shot.

Not least of which would be that if you try and succeed in pushing a real politically heavyweight family out of parliament, you will probably get shot anyway.

"The ongoing political infighting among the two major political parties has been going on for the past 10 years. A deep-rooted ideological divide is just one of the many cracks that rip through our society. The political conflict is not going to end anytime soon. It is a disappointing setback to the kingdom's long and painful struggle towards some form of democracy"

The political infighting,....er'.. the political diversity...will continue for how many years?....10?.....I certainly hope not. Democracy is made of such diversity, so infinitum, I hope...... More deeply rooted ideological divide than between political parties in other Democracies?....... Didn't the election of last year put an end to political conflict, as most elections are wont to do, in spite of their imperfections?......... I would posit that it was encouraging progress.....although perhaps not for those politically disadvantaged currently. But perhaps their day will come.

It all seems to be 'perspective'.

Edited by CalgaryII

One of the biggest problems is the apathy of the Thai people .

Thai people know their place in society and are resigned to living a difficult life whilst the politicans and families of the ruling elite live in luxury and shop in Milan,Italy.

The government and police control and disrupt their lives from start to finish.

Thousands of poor families are constantly seeking foreign men to marry their daughters,girlfriends and even their wives so they can make a decent income at the expense of the west. The Thai government encourages them to do this expecially Isan people.

How easy is it to get married in Thailand ???..... too easy.

Dump Isan's poor women in Europe,Australia and USA and sponge off the welfare and black economies.

• Like 1

The ongoing political infighting among the two major political parties has been going on for the past 10 years. A deep-rooted ideological divide is just one of the many cracks that rip through our society. The political conflict is not going to end anytime soon.... Our constitutional democracy is not making much progress.

Increasingly exposed to politics played out on television, our children are growing up watching unsavoury characters caught up in the relentless material pursuit of power, uncontrolled extravagance, influence and wealth.

...There are dynasties out there waiting to carve out their piece of the cake. It's a domain where young people with education and the intent to better this society cannot thrive on their own merit, with their own ideologies, commitment and good intentions.

We see these well-educated, well-groomed politicians from well-known families bowing to the allure of power, wealth and prestige.

How many countries does the description above apply to these days? I'm thinking.... Russia. India. Brazil. United States. Many Central American countries. Greece. Many Euro countries... I'm not up on many African governments, but I'm guessing things are similar there, too.

Things don't seem all that encouraging at the moment, unless you place some stock in the upheavals in the Arab world, and the demands for change there. But those seem a dodgy proposition as well.

A bit of a muddle...

Edited by DeepInTheForest

gandhi? annie besant? mandala? aung san su chi? - nothing near any of them here but they did (do?) exist but they have to have ETHICS and care more about changing history and serving than taking - a very, very rare thing but it is possible

Don't know what Aung San Su Chi is doing in that list......

Don't know what Aung San Su Chi is doing in that list......

aung san suu kyi ok now?

Edited by udonguy

Well said. Unfortunately, the Nation's English-reading community does not benefit from these brave words.

No Mahatma Ghandi, Nelson Mandela, or Aung San Suu Kyi is apparent in Thailand. These remarkable people were, and are, products of their environments and of their people, then largely voiceless.

They fired the imaginations and hopes of nations, without whom millions would remain mired in feudal despair living in desperation ... lives without hope ... consider the average Thais' life and imagine their week-to-week existence.

The enlightened politics that precipitated from their leaderships were reflective of the people they represented, then a silent majority (with no vote) whose collective cultural values were superior to those of their political leaderships. I contend that these collective cultural values are overwhelmingly a concequence of a population's spiritual values.

Spiritual values drive cultural values >> cultural values drive politics ... where the population has a vote, the politics accurately reflects the character of the people.

Representative democracy works. It really does. The values of the average Thai are represented in the political leadership they choose to lead them.

Thailand's crisis is one of cultural values.

Values are indoctrinated in people while they are young. At what contact points are most of Thai children's values influenced?

1. Teachers (the Thai Ministry of Education! ... nothing more need be said of this incidious, mind-numbing failure of an educational system);
  2. Theravada Buddhist monks (look closely here, as compared to that practiced in other Buddhist nations and their cultural values ... e.g. Korea);
  3. Popular culture (TV, music, video games, etc. ... nothing remotely similar to value-oriented programs as "Little House on the Prairie", or "Sesame Street" is offered by Thai media);
  4. Print media (Thais do not read, as a matter of habit, relying more upon pre-packaged opinions by the broadcast media and local chit-chat as their primary source of information on current events, and social and political commentary); and,
  5. Their mothers and fathers (and where did they get their values? ... return to #1 above).

Thailand professes itself as a spiritual nation, yet is amongst the world's most corrupt.

If you accept my spiritual>cultural>political nexus thesis above, you will probably accept that this has evolved over generations, and is reinforced by Thailand's many institutions (social, religious, legal, economic, educational, judicial, political) created and instituted by a select group of elites. Bettering a nation's cultural values seems as a monumental task.

If changes are possible, improvements would take generations, assuming there is an organized effort to make change. Yet, many high barriers to change in Thailand exist, the greatest of which is a cultural value that insists that Thais resist change, accept their lot in life, and have no influence over this life.

If a foreign nation somehow implanted many of these values into another nation, effectively passifying an entire population and rendering them a hapless threat, they would consider it nothing less that an act of war. But, sadly ... generations of elitist Thai social, political and spiritual leadership have done this to their own people.

I wonder if an awakened Thai population would view this manipulation by generations of their own privileged leadership any differently than if they were manipulated by a foreign enemy of the state. The possible consequences are frightening.

A world of Thai-sympathizing farang ask, "How can we help?" ... many wish we could, but we cannot ... this fight for Thailand's soul can only be won by Thais.

True enough, I think most farangs realise that Thailand's culture lies at the heart of all its problems.

• Like 1

Role model? After the King, Prem is the 2nd best role model. Third is Mark. Follow closely by Sondhi who dare to fight evil Thaksin.

I guees this must be a joke!

Prem is probably the main reason of the lack of democracy in Thailand and he never did anything for Thai people. Mark is responsible for 92 death and for allowing corruption to increase at a higher level than under Thaksin and for Democracy to be reduced and Sondhi is an anti-democracy facist! If those are your role model why not chosing Mussolini, Stalin and Bush!!!!

No I didn't mean the spelling (Bush called her Susanne Sushi cheesy.gif ) but I can't see anything good. She wants power. Repeatedly she told the West to impose sanctions against Myanmar which are mostly damaging the poor and the sick. Hardly a role model.

Prem is probably the main reason of the lack of democracy in Thailand and he never did anything for Thai people. Mark is responsible for 92 death and for allowing corruption to increase at a higher level than under Thaksin and for Democracy to be reduced and Sondhi is an anti-democracy facist! If those are your role model why not chosing Mussolini, Stalin and Bush!!!!

Read history, Thailand under Prem was the best time Thailand ever had.

It isn't Abhisits responsible that the black shirts shooting with AK-47, just he didn't find a good solution. Corruption at higher level than under Thaksin is a joke, right?

The leader of the "Peoples Alliance for Democracy" an "anti-democracy facist"?????

'Amen' to that!

• Like 1

No I didn't mean the spelling (Bush called her Susanne Sushi cheesy.gif ) but I can't see anything good. She wants power. Repeatedly she told the West to impose sanctions against Myanmar which are mostly damaging the poor and the sick. Hardly a role model.

your enemy's enemy is your friend - she fought against the Generals who kept the people in Myanmar enslaved

It isn't Abhisits responsible that the black shirts shooting with AK-47, just he didn't find a good solution. Corruption at higher level than under Thaksin is a joke, right?

The leader of the "Peoples Alliance for Democracy" an "anti-democracy facist"?????

Thailand under Prem was the best time Thailand ever had??? Where did you read that? In Thai history books?

Mark didn't find a good solution so just shoot them all, right? The death of the japanese and the italian journalist is officilay caused by the government forces. I guess your reading is very selective.

Corruption at a higher level was not from me but form the Thai chamber of commerce.

This is what the PAD is an extrem right wing anti-democracy mouvement!

Too bad so many Thais sold their votes, making us all ending up with the worst bunch of corrupt criminals and thugs in our Kingdom's government.

If you insist ongoing back you will find corruption on a scale that makes Thailand look good. Check the Grant administration.

But that is not what this article was about it was about role models today being able to step forward in spite of the money and power hungry mongrels it has now.

A very good article and all so true.

Why anyone would disagree with or try to belittle it is beyond me.

Well said. Unfortunately, the Nation's English-reading community does not benefit from these brave words.

No Mahatma Ghandi, Nelson Mandela, or Aung San Suu Kyi is apparent in Thailand. These remarkable people were, and are, products of their environments and of their people, then largely voiceless.

They fired the imaginations and hopes of nations, without whom millions would remain mired in feudal despair living in desperation ... lives without hope ... consider the average Thais' life and imagine their week-to-week existence.

The enlightened politics that precipitated from their leaderships were reflective of the people they represented, then a silent majority (with no vote) whose collective cultural values were superior to those of their political leaderships. I contend that these collective cultural values are overwhelmingly a concequence of a population's spiritual values.

Spiritual values drive cultural values >> cultural values drive politics ... where the population has a vote, the politics accurately reflects the character of the people.

Representative democracy works. It really does. The values of the average Thai are represented in the political leadership they choose to lead them.

Thailand's crisis is one of cultural values.

Values are indoctrinated in people while they are young. At what contact points are most of Thai children's values influenced?

1. Teachers (the Thai Ministry of Education! ... nothing more need be said of this incidious, mind-numbing failure of an educational system);
  2. Theravada Buddhist monks (look closely here, as compared to that practiced in other Buddhist nations and their cultural values ... e.g. Korea);
  3. Popular culture (TV, music, video games, etc. ... nothing remotely similar to value-oriented programs as "Little House on the Prairie", or "Sesame Street" is offered by Thai media);
  4. Print media (Thais do not read, as a matter of habit, relying more upon pre-packaged opinions by the broadcast media and local chit-chat as their primary source of information on current events, and social and political commentary); and,
  5. Their mothers and fathers (and where did they get their values? ... return to #1 above).

Thailand professes itself as a spiritual nation, yet is amongst the world's most corrupt.

If you accept my spiritual>cultural>political nexus thesis above, you will probably accept that this has evolved over generations, and is reinforced by Thailand's many institutions (social, religious, legal, economic, educational, judicial, political) created and instituted by a select group of elites. Bettering a nation's cultural values seems as a monumental task.

If changes are possible, improvements would take generations, assuming there is an organized effort to make change. Yet, many high barriers to change in Thailand exist, the greatest of which is a cultural value that insists that Thais resist change, accept their lot in life, and have no influence over this life.

If a foreign nation somehow implanted many of these values into another nation, effectively passifying an entire population and rendering them a hapless threat, they would consider it nothing less that an act of war. But, sadly ... generations of elitist Thai social, political and spiritual leadership have done this to their own people.

I wonder if an awakened Thai population would view this manipulation by generations of their own privileged leadership any differently than if they were manipulated by a foreign enemy of the state. The possible consequences are frightening.

A world of Thai-sympathizing farang ask, "How can we help?" ... many wish we could, but we cannot ... this fight for Thailand's soul can only be won by Thais.

Over all i like your opinions. The one that really caught my eye was the one about the

"Theravada Buddhist monk"

Yes where are they in Burma they were out there protesting for the people and being jailed for it.

Look at Tibet I don't agree with their suicideing but at least they are saying some thing besides sitting around in their Wat's and going out in the morning for free substance.

As I have said before Thaksin has deep pockets and can buy what he wants.

I don't have the figures but I bet if their was a statistics available all the red shirts put together would not have made as munch money as Thaksin did when he was the PM supposedly doing every thing for them.

They don't need role models,only recognition,that they have all created Greed and Corruption,from the Top to the Bottom.

It was easy to create,and get your snout in the trough,but not so easy to abolish. Until they realise that accepting bribes to vote for a particular party,makes them the laughing stock of the World.,and it is inbuilt in their culture,along with all the other forms of corruption.