Beat The Heat!

chiangmaiexpat

It's 33 °C in my office now. When I poured my first cup of tea this morning it was 30 °C, a temperature which I still find quite tolerable. But I am aware that, inevitably, the temperature will rise to about 36 °C in the afternoon, even with passive cooling and fans on max, and that is definitely beyond my comfort threshold.

I don't want to install one of those big clunky air cons in this room, so I wonder whether a portable air conditioner unit would fit the bill. Has anyone tried them out? What are your opinions/recommendations on these? Where best to buy? Any alternative ideas on how to beat the heat?

Cheers, CMExpat

Search around the forum, they've been discussed recently.

I think he bottom line is that they don't work very well.

Then there are window airconditioners (which are single unit), but they're ugly, block part of a window and are noisy as the inherently noisy condenser is inside the same unit.

So it's best is to bite the bullet, pick a room that's not too large and already naturally cooler and get a nice, quiet Mitsubishi split-type unit, so with the separate condenser installed out of sight and as much out of ear-shot as possible. That way it's very not clunky. Quiet & cool.

Something like this:

pb28f_20120228.jpg

http://www.airsiam99...p/Product/98-64

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Best is to bite the bullet, pick a room that's not too large and already naturally cooler and get a nice, quiet Mitsubishi unit. Very not clunky.

Agreed. Hot season without air-conditioning is miserable.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Mitsubishi "Mr Slim" are a good unit and we purchased after doing a bit of reseach from friends that had purchased same.They are not the cheapest but we are very happy with ours in the bedroom,extremely quiet.You need to shop around prices vary considerably from store to store and now of course sales spike in the hot season.

Alright, thanks for your input.

Based on your comments and my own research, I will probably forgo the portable air condition unit. For the moment, I have decided to simply move to another room which already has an air condition installed.

Cheers, CMExpat

P.S.: My reference to clunkiness alluded mainly to the compressor which will undoubtedly set a less attractive accent to the facade of our house which I carefully designed myself.

Edited by chiangmaiexpat

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Better yet, get out of Thailand altogether. You're always complaining about something.

You're as ill-suited to the climate as you are to the culture.

The concrete boxes most of you live in make ideal solar ovens but very poor habitats in a tropical country.

Wooden houses with plenty of cross-ventilation, raised on posts with a circulation of air underneath make sense.

Traditional designs could be combined with some sensible modern innovations to free you from air-conditioning and the the general kawk-moo lifestyle you're in now.

You've had your foreign experience. Your horizions have been broadened. Now go home.

Based on your complete lack of "jai yen" I would offer the same advice to you

• Like 2

Lol banana, It's a little early for the old "if you don't like it, go home chestnut"

Op can you install your air con condenser unit around a corner, so you can't see it from your favorite perspective?

Can you design a little wall that may camouflage the unit?

Better yet, get out of Thailand altogether. You're always complaining about something.

The concrete boxes most of you live in make ideal solar ovens but very poor habitats in a tropical country.

Wooden houses with plenty of cross-ventilation, raised on posts with a circulation of air underneath make sense.

Traditional designs could be combined with some sensible modern innovations to free you from air-conditioning and the the general kawk-moo lifestyle you're in now.

You've had your foreign experience. Your horizions have been broadened. Now go home.

What's up? Suffering from heatstroke in your wooden house, or just wake up on the wrong side of your bamboo floor mat? tongue.png

I have a better idea: get out of my thread and go trolling in your own wooden house. Thank you!

My house is designed with passive cooling in mind, and the principle is the same as in the traditional architecture. It's quite comfortable all year except for the peaks in the hot season. If you have spent some time in traditional wooden houses, you notice that they also get rather hot in the hot season. In fact, wood is a much worse insulator, and thus wooden houses get hotter faster. To take the edge off the peak, you still need technology, meaning air conditioning.

BTW, I think I might have an idea where to put the clunky compressor unit. Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers, CMExpat

Good post.

Acidic, but spot on.

Your idea of combining traditional home design with modern elements is what is needed here. That's for sure.

To what you said I could add high ceilings and gable vents wherever possible and a whole range of appropriate hi-tech features. But sink the air-con units for obvious reasons.

But for that to be feasible, as well as for many other sensible ideas, the population numbers would have to be stabilized.

Let's start with the most obnoxious and offensive group here... pogrom, anyone?

Short of drastic measures like that, your verbal attacks, combined with respiritory problems from breathing the salubrious Chiang Mai air might start a reduction in their numbers that would be welcomed by most Thais and the farangs who try to live among them in harmony.

But for that to be feasible, as well as for many other sensible ideas, the population numbers would have to be stabilized.

Let's start with the most obnoxious and offensive group here... pogrom, anyone?

Short of drastic measures like that, your verbal attacks, combined with respiritory problems from breathing the salubrious Chiang Mai air might start a reduction in their numbers that would be welcomed by most Thais and the farangs who try to live among them in harmony.

That's impressive......... One giant leap from what type of air-con to xenophobic trolling.

offtopic2.gif

No aircon in my concrete abode. But we're not in the concrete jungle, but out in the countryside. Only one room gets too hot in the afternoon - my study / computer room. Need to get some heat reflecting film on the window or something to shade the window. Most of the heat is through the sun heating up the glass. We have double brick walls - never feel warm on the inside. Once it starts to cool off late afternoon around 5pm we turn on the ceiling extractor fans upstairs to suck in the cooler air. Really does work, as long as the air outside is cooler. Remember to close ALL windows once it starts to warm up outside. Surprised at how many people I talk to who believe having the windows open all day creates a breeze to cool the house. All that does is draw 36C + air in to warm you up even more......

No aircon in my concrete abode. But we're not in the concrete jungle, but out in the countryside. Only one room gets too hot in the afternoon - my study / computer room. Need to get some heat reflecting film on the window or something to shade the window. Most of the heat is through the sun heating up the glass. We have double brick walls - never feel warm on the inside. Once it starts to cool off late afternoon around 5pm we turn on the ceiling extractor fans upstairs to suck in the cooler air. Really does work, as long as the air outside is cooler. Remember to close ALL windows once it starts to warm up outside. Surprised at how many people I talk to who believe having the windows open all day creates a breeze to cool the house. All that does is draw 36C + air in to warm you up even more......

...I also close all the windows and doors when it gets hot....it works only with big overhang roofs(note-do the opposite in the winter cool)

As a mod, every time this year, like clockwork....I see tempers frayed, and people just totally pissed off about one thing or another on this forum.

Not to mention the threads about police traffic enforcement and stops that always start a couple of weeks before Songkran. I really can't understand why the BIB wait until it get's so hot to put in their best effort. Amazing huh.png

This thread which started as an inane complaint about the heat produced some brainless response recommending the installation of air-conditioning units.

What's wrong with you knuckleheads?

It's OK for you and your elite group to run your A/C's 24-7, but what happens when the huddled masses yearning to breathe free start doing it as well?

You come from countries whose ignorance, arrogance, and profiligacy has brought the world to the edge of the abyss.

When everybody starts living like we do the end times will be upon us and you won't need the Bible or the Mayan Calendar or your local maw-doo to tell you so.

Post #10 introduced the idea of combining traditional Thai architecture with modern elements to produce cool and sustainable places to live.

But that intelligent observation only got a few serious responses. The rest being the usual...

Forget it. I'm hot as hell. I think I'll turn on the A/C. Screw you all!

• Like 1

I think the heat has gotten to DeacoJohn as well. Wouldn't mind if the admins close this thread, as it seems to be going downhill.

My initial question was about the efficiency of portable air con units and other cooling methods. It was not a complaint about the heat. I like the climate and my initial question has been answered.

What's the matter with you guys?

Cheers, CMExpat

Mitsubishi "Mr Slim" are a good unit and we purchased after doing a bit of reseach from friends that had purchased same.They are not the cheapest but we are very happy with ours in the bedroom,extremely quiet.You need to shop around prices vary considerably from store to store and now of course sales spike in the hot season.

I have 3 Mitsubishi Mr.Slim air conditioners as well and have no complaints. They have lasted me over 8 years and still run ok. I change filters once per year and do simple maintenance cleaning of the front grids myself every 1-2 months.

yeah right come to a tropical climate and then sit in an aircon room...what's wrong with this pic??? ...Just another whine from the "why don't they" brigade..as someone said "get out of the kitchen"....!!!

Grab a beer and find a shade tree or a reasonable beach and enjoy!!

The only heat problem is sleeping sometimes.... but what the hell ...got lots of time to sleep when your dead!

Nothing wrong with sucking back a beer or iced scotch at 4am..unless of course you actually have to WORK for a living....ouch!