Farang Girls

eek

Well at the moment you need good legs. Showing breast is a "no no". You're probably going to to tower over most Thai men, so wear something flat, gladiator sandals are a good option. You will also need a good handbag and a decent mobile, you will be judged by these. Thai men can be lovely, but they also expect you to know your place, so don't be too assertive at the beginning. If you really love him and he loves you you'll get it together. Expect a lot of problems from the family, the first baby will sort that out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Well at the moment you need good legs. Showing breast is a "no no". You're probably going to to tower over most Thai men, so wear something flat, gladiator sandals are a good option. You will also need a good handbag and a decent mobile, you will be judged by these. Thai men can be lovely, but they also expect you to know your place, so don't be too assertive at the beginning. If you really love him and he loves you you'll get it together. Expect a lot of problems from the family, the first baby will sort that out.

Gladiator sandals ... That is so 2011.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

Ohh...woh...well..honestly, i think your views are really archiac. Maybe you are talking about 50+ generation?

..and frankly, its kinda random (off-topic)

• Like 1

Ohh...woh...well..honestly, i think your views are really archiac. Maybe you are talking about 50+ generation?

..and frankly, its kinda random (off-topic)

Ha ha it does sound a bit like things here in Isaan (we're in Udon Thani) - it is definitely more traditional (archaic!!) than other places in Thailand I've been to. i try to maintain a balance between respecting the culture and being a complete walkover. Eg Thai hubby says 'women here dont wear bikinis' (true - they generally dont) but next thing I see his sis and cousin posting photos on facebook in bikinis. Hey they are younger and can push the boundaries for Thai women. Not my battle. I wear shorts here and a bikini everywhere outside Thailand. Saves me doing my bikini line while I'm in Thailand at least wink.png. You can't show breast here - pretty true - girls wear bras that look like sports bra bandeau tops so they flash the lacy bits rather than cleavage - cleavage definitely seems to still be a no-no here

Re the height I'm the same height as hubby and wear flats when I want and heels when I want - he doesn't really care. Re the handbag and phone he is glad that I am not materialistic and concerned about how much money I can get out of him.

'Expect you to know your place' to be honest that is still true for many people here - I can get away with a bit more opinion through being western. Women are still expected to be the gentler sex and not to shout/argue/fight a lot. I don;t know what it's like everywhere else.

And last one - expect problems from the family - first baby will sort that out cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif just made things harder for us as hubby's family (and everyone else around us) seems to think that bringing up a child involves intravenous fanta/coke, sticky rice + fried meat + no vegetables, iphone games + TV as a babysitter.

Just my views - albeit after a few glasses of wine wink.pngwink.png

Edited by swlondonmum
  • Like 1

Women are still expected to be the gentler sex and not to shout/argue/fight a lot

Sorry but this one literally made me laugh out loud. Perhaps that may be the expectation but IME its certainly NOT the reality.

• Like 1

Women are still expected to be the gentler sex and not to shout/argue/fight a lot

Sorry but this one literally made me laugh out loud. Perhaps that may be the expectation but IME its certainly NOT the reality.

it does depend on the situation of course but it's definitely more that way here in Isaan than what I've seen in Bangkok (which I don't know very well). I mean in public (ie around other people) by the way - no idea what goes on in private for most other people. I've seen a lot of situations where when a couple disagrees about something, the woman defers to the man whereas back in the UK it would be a bit more even handed. And this is with the younger (20s-30s) generation whereas I expected it a bit more from their parents' generation. And in a big city not out in a tiny country village. I do get the impression that if we moved to Bangkok I might feel like I'd moved to a different country (or possibly a different decade!)

Sorry if I was continuing an off topic thing by the way but I loved all those specific rules ' you must wear flat shoes, you must have a good handbag' etc etc !! cheesy.gif

Edited by swlondonmum

Meeting people I prefer western women over western men, Not so many mental cases and much nicer on the eyes. I don't think that western women in Thailand are poorly representing themselves here, generally. Yeah some are snags, but most are interesting. And over here they don't wear the sweatpants and tube tops with the bellys hanging out.

I don't think it is fair to judge the tourists, They are interesting, dumb, or shocking and then they leave.

I have to agree with canuckamuck. Most women who come to Thailand do so for different reasons than men. I first came to Thailand in 1998 with a back packer group and we all were as different as chalk and cheese. I think it takes a while for tourists to learn the unwritten "proper" code of ethics, and it seems to change from locale to locale. When we were on the islands off the southern penninsula there were lots of topless European women on the beaches and nobody seemed to care or even notice. But, it is much different here in Chiang Mai and quite probably Bangkok. Even separatet parts of Chiang Mai there seems to be a different crowd and how they act. I've got long legs and I wear shorts, but I don't wear those mini-shorts the Thai girls wear and look so nice in. Besides, my bum would never fit in those shorts. I've got big boobs, but I mostly keep them covered in a blouse unless I'm on a beach somewhere in a bikini.

• 2 weeks later...

Its hard to generalise about "farang women" in Thailand.

Most that I see dress 'sensibly' i.e. take care not to cause offense. (I'm excluding young, female tourists - some of whom think it is acceptable to be dressed in a bikini top and 'hot pants'). Although, thinking about it, for some reason we notice this more in the women than the men - who dress in nothing but 'beach' shorts.

As for me (I am a crossdressing guy), I hate wearing long shorts. It's always short shorts for me; but not hot pants (too shy to wear those) smile.png

Edited by JemJem

• 2 weeks later...

Meeting people I prefer western women over western men, Not so many mental cases and much nicer on the eyes. I don't think that western women in Thailand are poorly representing themselves here, generally. Yeah some are snags, but most are interesting. And over here they don't wear the sweatpants and tube tops with the bellys hanging out.

I don't think it is fair to judge the tourists, They are interesting, dumb, or shocking and then they leave.

I have to agree with canuckamuck. Most women who come to Thailand do so for different reasons than men. I first came to Thailand in 1998 with a back packer group and we all were as different as chalk and cheese. I think it takes a while for tourists to learn the unwritten "proper" code of ethics, and it seems to change from locale to locale. When we were on the islands off the southern penninsula there were lots of topless European women on the beaches and nobody seemed to care or even notice. But, it is much different here in Chiang Mai and quite probably Bangkok. Even separatet parts of Chiang Mai there seems to be a different crowd and how they act. I've got long legs and I wear shorts, but I don't wear those mini-shorts the Thai girls wear and look so nice in. Besides, my bum would never fit in those shorts. I've got big boobs, but I mostly keep them covered in a blouse unless I'm on a beach somewhere in a bikini.

Come on. I am sure you would be able to find mini-shorts for your size in Thailand, especially at places that sell things mainly to foreigners (eg. Khao San).

As a good friend of mine keeps telling some people, 'If you've got a sexy body, just show it, baby' :) I wish I were a woman and with similar features as you described above :)

• 4 weeks later...

What a funny topic...

I am man, Thai 29

well as a Bangkokian some foreigner are easier to meet here compare to the othersite in Thailand (not mention some special place like Phuket, Pra Ngan...)

- in my opinion me and my friend we don't think that Farang,Thai,or else will make a different to what you are -- the different just come from how you adapt to the situations and surrounding people. We don't mind the appearance or dress if it not too much revealing which the bad is just that it might not suit for the place, and to be honest I think Thai girl today are in that situation way more than the foriegner

But generally as we here (mean Thais) percieve the western people as someone from more developed area. we basically think of you all grace and positive (This is Really true for mostly Thai) as well as think of you as someone wealthy

( I think that explain "Thai girl - Farang man" in some extend ( As you have to be true to youself that where, how, how long,.... they met --- It not the standard thai girls that Farang guys call "Thai girl" )

So... Be yourself and adaptive in the same time and that is when you are the loveliest ... :-)

----sorry for my english & Hello everyone this is my first post here ;-) ----

Edited by kristquark
  • Like 1

People are people the world over if you are the type to consistantly obeserve and compare other peoples dress, posture , tone of voice , manners and so on to your own which you feel is the correct way things should be done, I would imagine you could find falut in many people in most any part of the world.

That's not to say your incorrect or observing and comparing everyone to your version of how they should be is good or bad it's just to say that the majority of people in the majority of the world have some sort of fault or another ......... just like you :)