Copy And Pasting From Thai Courage Software

wasabi

I wish to copy and paste text from Thai courage software, the only way I can even highlight the text is to go to the print function of the software, but even though I can see it in MS Word when I copy and paste it, it looks like this

o'lvgfb[

look at the following

http://www.couragesoftware.com/page3.htm

"Print Activities which can be

edited and printed for home use."

I am using Windows XP with service pack 2 and have installed several types of Thai font

when opened in MS word the font defaults to csThai however it becomes garbled as soon as I try to bring it to a web browser.

You are saying that it shows up correctly (Thai) in MS Word but not in your web browser? If so check to make sure your browser is set for Thai encoding. Select "View" "Character encoding" and then "Thai TIS-620" or "Thai Windows-874" and see if it displays correctly.

You are saying that it shows up correctly (Thai) in MS Word but not in your web browser? If so check to make sure your browser is set for Thai encoding.  Select "View" "Character encoding" and then "Thai TIS-620" or "Thai Windows-874" and see if it displays correctly.

I have tried to change the encoding without success, here is a screen shot so you can see what I mean in MS word. I wonder what font format Courage Thai uses so I can better explore how to make it appear in other apps? I've also included a copy of it in .doc format.

post-13058-1134964793_thumb.jpg

example.doc

Edited by wasabi

I think it's possibly something to do with the proprietary CSThai font. I tried taking that text and selecting the Tahoma font in Word, but it wouldn't display the Thai text properly.

I agree. It looks like the real problem is converting the CSThai font to something readable by most other programs, such as Tahoma.

Or alternatively if I could get Courage Thai to use a font other than CSThai.

Any suggestions anyone?

Edited by wasabi

I wish to copy and paste text from Thai courage software, the only way I can even highlight the text is to go to the print function of the software, but even though I can see it in MS Word when I copy and paste it, it looks like this

o'lvgfb[

look at the following

http://www.couragesoftware.com/page3.htm

"Print Activities which can be

edited and printed for home use."

I am using Windows XP with service pack 2 and have installed several types of Thai font

when opened in MS word the font defaults to csThai however it becomes garbled as soon as I try to bring it to a web browser.

The problem is that csThai is a hack font designed so that you don't need to switch to Thai to input characters. Unfortunately, it's based on the Kedmanee keyboard layout - at least the characters you get for Roman letters are. Those for which you type Roman punctuation are jumbled.

When it says for 'home use', it means for home use. I presume you can make webpage for use by yourself and other users of Thai Courage Software by specifying the font as csThai.

Think of csThai as a font which visually decrypts a cypher - Thai letters are encrypted as ASCII characters - the characters supported for almost every language using the Roman alphabet. It's a simple job to write a program to decrypt text meant for the csThai font - one could even write a web page to do it on- or off-line. It's more complicated if the program has to distinguish text in the csThai font from other text.

There's a possibility it's the same encoding as for the fonts used by SEAsite for Thai, but I hadn't noticed any discrepancies between the SEAsite Thai font and the Kedmanee keyboard.

Richard what you say makes sense, I just wish it was simpler, that I could copy and paste the text to further research on other sites. This is essential to me because while I like to learn entire phrases I also like to better understand the individual vocabulary. Though the software allows you to drill down into any text, it surprisingly lacks English definitions for individual words in the phrase portion of the software. There is only Thai script, transliteration and English meaning for the entire phrase. It's nice to memorize phrases but without knowing the individual words it's not as effective. I hope someone knows a solution to this problem or Courage software makes a patch. I have emailed them but haven't heard back yet. I wish I could replace the CSThai with a more universal font.

The problem is that csThai is a hack font designed so that you don't need to switch to Thai to input characters.  Unfortunately, it's based on the Kedmanee keyboard layout - at least the characters you get for Roman letters are.  Those for which you type Roman punctuation are jumbled.

When it says for 'home use', it means for home use.  I presume you can make webpage for use by yourself and other users of Thai Courage Software by specifying the font as csThai.

Think of csThai as a font which visually decrypts a cypher - Thai letters are encrypted as ASCII characters - the characters supported for almost every language using the Roman alphabet.  It's a simple job to write a program to decrypt text meant for the csThai font - one could even write a web page to do it on- or off-line.  It's more complicated if the program has to distinguish text in the csThai font from other text.

There's a possibility it's the same encoding as for the fonts used by SEAsite for Thai, but I hadn't noticed any discrepancies between the SEAsite Thai font and the Kedmanee keyboard.

Edited by wasabi

Richard what you say makes sense, I just wish it was simpler, that I could copy and paste the text to further research on other sites.

I've knocked up a web page to do conversions. It's only Version 0.0 - I need examples for mai tri, mai chattawa and pho samphao, e.g. in the same style as the Word sample attached earlier. It will decrypt (csThai encoding to Unicode) and encrypt (Unicode to csThai encoding). The encryption has other imperfections - it does not combine vowel and tonemark where csThai uses a single character. If you read the web pages source, you'll see that I am making assumptions for much of the encoding - and there may be typos (or even plain errors) in the translation table.

If csThai supports Thai digits, I also need samples for them.

With luck, conversion should appear just to copy if you have the csThai font, for the csThai text should be displayed using the csThai font. The difference will come when you paste the raw and converted text into, say, Notepad.

I've tested it on Internet Explorer 6.0 and Firefox 1.07 under Windows XP. There is a minor problem with output spacing in Internet Explorer 6.0, which I may fix later.

Richard that is awesome!

I can try to get you more characters from the CSThai font if you can help me complete the mapping. This is very useful to me. Since it allows cross referencing with the various websites out there.

Edited by wasabi

I've knocked up a web page to do conversions.  It's only Version 0.0 - I need examples for mai tri, mai chattawa and pho samphao, e.g. in the same style as the Word sample attached earlier.  It will decrypt (csThai encoding to Unicode) and encrypt (Unicode to csThai encoding).  The encryption has other imperfections - it does not combine vowel and tonemark where csThai uses a single character.

The page is now at Version 0.2, and I think I've fixed all the above issues. There's unlikely to be any real further improvement unless I get bug reports.

I've knocked up a web page to do conversions.  It's only Version 0.0 - I need examples for mai tri, mai chattawa and pho samphao, e.g. in the same style as the Word sample attached earlier.  It will decrypt (csThai encoding to Unicode) and encrypt (Unicode to csThai encoding).  The encryption has other imperfections - it does not combine vowel and tonemark where csThai uses a single character.

The page is now at Version 0.2, and I think I've fixed all the above issues. There's unlikely to be any real further improvement unless I get bug reports.

It's working great. This is a tremendous help.

• 3 weeks later...