Bangkok Post Now 25 Baht

george

Bangkok Post now B25

In line with a sharp increase in costs, particularly newsprint and oil, the cover price of the Bangkok Post has been raised to 25 baht as of today. This is the first increase in the cover price of the newspaper to take place since March 1, 1998. The decision to raise the price was taken reluctantly but was made necessary due to the increasing costs.

The subscription price will rise proportionately next year, to 4,900 baht a year (or 13.4 baht a copy). However, if existing subscribers renew before Feb 28, 2006, they can do so at the current rate of 3,950 baht a year.

New subscribers can also benefit from the current rate if they subscribe before Feb 1, 2006.

``The Bangkok Post is still great value for readers, particularly as we have recently launched attractive new sections Guru and the magazine,'' said David Armstrong, deputy chief executive of Post Publishing. ``We are planning additional progressive improvements to the newspaper throughout 2006,'' Mr Armstrong said.

Source: Bangkok Post 2005-12-19

Bangkok Post now B25

In line with a sharp increase in costs, particularly newsprint and oil, the cover price of the Bangkok Post has been raised to 25 baht as of today. This is the first increase in the cover price of the newspaper to take place since March 1, 1998. The decision to raise the price was taken reluctantly but was made necessary due to the increasing costs.

The subscription price will rise proportionately next year, to 4,900 baht a year (or 13.4 baht a copy). However, if existing subscribers renew before Feb 28, 2006, they can do so at the current rate of 3,950 baht a year.

New subscribers can also benefit from the current rate if they subscribe before Feb 1, 2006.

``The Bangkok Post is still great value for readers, particularly as we have recently launched attractive new sections Guru and the magazine,'' said David Armstrong, deputy chief executive of Post Publishing. ``We are planning additional progressive improvements to the newspaper throughout 2006,'' Mr Armstrong said.

Source: Bangkok Post 2005-12-19

:o:D:D Inflation

there are so many freely available news sources these days that it can only be seen as madness to actually purchase a copy of the bangkok post with its re hashed reuters releases , its barely comprehensible reporting of thai politics , imtaz muqbils venomous bile and the worlds unfunniest political cartoonist and his daily attempt at sidesplitting satire.

the cartoon character 'monty' and the word puzzles are the only redeeming feature of this daily rag.

Thai papers are about 8 baht. Typical rip-off Thailand. Shit doesn't go up inline with inflation, shit goes up at a ridiculous rate in whacking great chunks. The hotels are getting ridiculous: take pai for example - I used to stay at the Sunhut quite a bit but have just learned that they have increased rates by 300%!! Extortion, it's going on everywhere. Beer is also an absolute rip-off here after tax...whinge, whinge. Still, wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Happy Christmas :o:D

Thai papers are about 8 baht. Typical rip-off Thailand. Shit doesn't go up inline with inflation, shit goes up at a ridiculous rate in whacking great chunks. The hotels are getting ridiculous: take pai for example - I used to stay at the Sunhut quite a bit but have just learned that they have increased rates by 300%!! Extortion, it's going on everywhere. Beer is also an absolute rip-off here after tax...whinge, whinge. Still, wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Happy Christmas :D  :D

:o Speaking of rip offs the Marriott went from 900 baht to 2200 for xmas eve dinner.Looks like all the big hotels are doing the same,you can't tell me they didn't get together.Mcdonalds anyone? :D:D:D

Looks like Newswire stuff has gone up. Must be tricky running a paper with 2 pages of local news in a country of 65 million, the rest is Wire service stuff, and a few lovey dovey stories in the supplements. Motoring section ain't bad though, but mostly goes on about motors that'll never be seen in Thailand!!!!

> the cartoon character 'monty' and the word puzzles are the only

> redeeming feature of this daily rag.

Monty:

http://www.comics.com/comics/monty/index.html

And I'm sure you can google up some puzzles online.. 

Difficult to lie in a hammock with my computer :o

But.... the Post is a waste of money and Toxin censures it.

Did you see anything in it about Sondhi and the demonstrations in Lumpini Park in the Post - of course not.

I buy a Thai newspaper and it takes me 1 week to read it - a lot more interesting read for me.

When I first got here five and a half years ago, I used to enjoy reading Modesty Blaise nd the Trink Column. At the moment I am subscriber to the paper, but with the increase and me having a computer at home, I think I might give it the go by next year, unless they are still offering complimentary tickets to the tennis. On renewal of subscription!

there are so many freely available news sources these days that it can only be seen as madness to actually purchase a copy of the bangkok post with its re hashed reuters releases , its barely comprehensible reporting of thai politics , imtaz muqbils venomous bile and the worlds unfunniest political cartoonist and his daily attempt at sidesplitting satire.

the cartoon character 'monty' and the word puzzles are the only redeeming feature of this daily rag.

Sorry, after living on Saipan for 26 years with only the Gannet Garbage "Pacific Daily News" available, one of my great pleasures is to sit down each day and read the Post cover to cover. It's delivered each day about Noon by a wonderfully friendly paper guy on motorcycle.

Granted, I get my real news online, but I love the Post for the ads, the classifieds, the features, the letters and, of course, the comics; especially Monty. (I'm too dumb to do any of the word puzzles, but Ms. B solves the Sudoku each day during her half hour on the treadmill.)

My only regret is that the Post delivered here in the provinces doesn't include the weekly magazines. How am I ever going to upgrade my lifestyle without being able to read "Guru" each week?

:o

If you read the international news sections, simply read the BBC website as everything in the Post is to be found there (3 days before it appears in the post).

If you want to read about local news, simply watch a politician on TV, since the Post simply regurgitates what the politicians tell it to - with absolutely no critical analysis whatever.

LA Times coverprice weekdays is 50 cents (20 baht).

Circulation of the Times is about one million weekdays, the circulation of The Nation or The Bangkok Post would be only 50-60,000 daily.

If you want to save some money then you can get a yearly sub delivered daily to your door for less than 10 baht a day using the bonus offer in The Nation at the moment. Twelve months + two months free for 3,950 baht.