Next Generation Smart Phones, Worth Waiting For?

br12stol

In the market for new smart phone, I spend a lot of time on internet working while on the move, so was about to buy a Galaxy note. But after a quick search on google it seems that many new models are imminent.

Galaxy S3 very soon

HTC one x

A few specs are coming out for a few of the new models with the s3 rumoured to have 2g Ram quad core and 32g standard, so should I hang on, I have an IPhone 4 now so a few weeks more no big deal.

interesting review of HTC http://www.phonearen...-review_id27504

and now worse time to buy smart phone

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/22/now-is-the-worst-time-ever-to-buy-an-android-phone/

Edited by br12stol

There's ALWAYS something imminent. If you avidly read reviews, and especially keep up to date with what's round the corner, well, basically you'll end up never buying anything.

Whatever you buy will be "obsolete" inside of a year, but will remain usable for at least two or three years or more.

• Like 1

Yes, true actually. While there's never an ideal time to buy there are the odd occcasions when it's wise to hang back a little. Samsung for instance - the S2 is kinda old news now (although it will update to ICS and I'm sure, still be very useable), the Galaxy Nexus ("S2.5" if you like) is a great phone but with the S3 coming - that's what I'll be waiting for.

I won't be hesitating to pick up an S3 though - that's the point I was trying to make. Hesitate for a few months and you'll find yourself waiting for the S4... :)

I do like the look of the HTC One and personally would wait but I have a dual core smartphone so no hardship. Better battery life is one thing worth waiting on!

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

I don't have a smart phone but I want one. So I'll wait awhile and buy a second hand one because I think the present generation ones suit my needes and people like you may want to sell and buy the next generation one.

I bought a fancy Nokia 7 years ago for Bt20,000. I can get a similar new one for under Bt2000!!

The more powerful these phones get, the more battery power is needed. I agree with bobl that battery technology is not keeping up with the new phones. Existing phones can drain the battery in less than eight hours. My smart phone is no longer smart. I use an APN toggle for the Internet and had to root my phone to install an efficient application blocker. I'm now relatively satisfied with my battery life. All the applications are available on demand and that's the way I like it.

Most of the models the OP is considering waiting for are more likely to arrive June-July-August so the wait will be more like a few months rather than a few weeks.

The BGR article about now being the worst time to buy a smartphone is primarily U.S.A.-centric, where one is locked into a two-year cycle.

The kernel, OS and base apps. are all more than capable of throttling battery usage automatically, so the battery concerns are a bit misplaced. LTE is probably more of a battery issue for these new models?

The hardware and specs on these new models is far outstripping any OS/application requirements save media/camera/gaming. So if you have specialized media and gaming requirements it may be best to wait.

I am running Android 4.0.3 (ICS) on a nearly two-year old platform (Samsung Galaxy S variant: single core, 1 Ghz, A8, 4" Super AMOLED), and it is incredible.

My next phone will probably be a used SGS2.

I would argue that now is the best time to buy a new (or used) smartphone.

Edited by lomatopo

Battery concerns, for me, aren't so much of an issue that can be "fixed" with battery management. I use my phone extensively and the biggest battery drain by far, is the display. In a way, I got spoiled by Blackberry - I got so used to "always on" connectivity and push data (twitter, facebook, mail, bbm, etc etc) saving battery by disabling 3g and sending stuff to sleep when the phone's idle for me, defeats the purpose of having a smartphone... So maintaining "always on", big battery drain, coupled with actually using the thing more than average, bigger battery drain, leaves me in the situation of rarely getting more than 7 or 8 hours out of the thing, usually less.

Battery concerns, for me, aren't so much of an issue that can be "fixed" with battery management. I use my phone extensively and the biggest battery drain by far, is the display. In a way, I got spoiled by Blackberry - I got so used to "always on" connectivity and push data (twitter, facebook, mail, bbm, etc etc) saving battery by disabling 3g and sending stuff to sleep when the phone's idle for me, defeats the purpose of having a smartphone... So maintaining "always on", big battery drain, coupled with actually using the thing more than average, bigger battery drain, leaves me in the situation of rarely getting more than 7 or 8 hours out of the thing, usually less.

I have a Mugen 1900 amh and it still doesn't last the day. Fridays is my day when I carry no tablet and work from my phone, I'm struggling by 4pm. I carry a Mili power supply and an extra battery because if I end up in a few calls as well its game over by lunch time - my day does start at 6:30-7ish tho.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Again, intelligent and automatic battery management, and not the brute-force methods some find so abhorrent, is increasingly finding its way into newer kernels, OSes (versions) and even apps. Something as simple as turning off the 3G radio when you are using WiFi is just one easy to understand example of automatic battery management which does not make your phone any less smart.

I'd submit that if your phone does not meet your requirements, including battery life then maybe you should look for a different phone? After all pretty much all phones are the same when they run out of power.

I have read samsung has listened to battery complaints and is including a '24 hour battery' in the sgs3. OTOH I've also read it's gonna be super thin which doesn't quite add up. Probably all just wild rumours.

I'd at least wait until they release the SGS3 specs which can't be far away now, and decide from there. If SGS3 batt is not big or replaceable etc I'll prob pick up a 2nd hand sgs2 myself and throw on that extended battery for it.

Edited by lennois

Again, intelligent and automatic battery management, and not the brute-force methods some find so abhorrent, is increasingly finding its way into newer kernels, OSes (versions) and even apps. Something as simple as turning off the 3G radio when you are using WiFi is just one easy to understand example of automatic battery management which does not make your phone any less smart.

I'd submit that if your phone does not meet your requirements, including battery life then maybe you should look for a different phone? After all pretty much all phones are the same when they run out of power.

I use Juice defender, 3rd party brightness controller and have tested all manner of tricks and tips, don't use wifi unless i have to etc - I don't like not using the super features i've paid for and would like some more battery life, I don't think that is an unreasonable request... and getting another phone is why i have interest in this topic!