What Is The Yellow Tabien Baan? What Are The Requirements?

The yellow tabien baan is the household registration book for foreigners.

It is accepted as proof of address and also needed if one plans to apply for Thai nationality.

The requirements seem to vary per amphur. Mine is very helpful and needs to see minimal documents to issue, as they have some expeirience with issueing them.

And mine, issued in Nong Khai, was a royal pain in the ass to get, needing many trips to the tessaban, documents translated, etc. Took nearly two months and a bunch of hassles.

Now, I have it, but have moved back to BKK. They did give me a piece of paper with my new address to insert in the book, so I guess it is still valid. It's actually the registration number that's important, since it proves you jumped through all the hoops, and that the government knows that you live here.

I suppose it would help with a car registration, or some other proof-of-address situation, but I'm not sure. I'll follow this thread with interest.

It can be the "missing peace of the puzzle" if it comes to recieving social security bennifits from your home country.

registered inhabitants means proof of legal stay.

furthermore one is an excepted(legal) member of Thai society.....with all the pro and cons.

car/motorcycle, .......

but also as a foreign husband in the house you all think is yours......and yes your Thai counterpart thinks that the blue book is ownerships book and still thinks she doesn't have to sign you in as a member of the household...........sorry....NOT ALL OFCOURSE.

As said every Amphur seems to be different, its best if you go to your local Amphur and ask them.

Mine was done in 20 minutes and needed passport, wife, ID card, her Tabien bahn and our marriage certificate and that was it.

The most expensive requirement of my ampur was a MFA certified copy of my passport. I had to get a certified copy from US embassy at a cost of $50. That was translated and certified by MFA using an agent for 1500 TV. This took a week to

finish. Ampur was very helpful.

• 8 months later...

It can be the "missing peace of the puzzle" if it comes to recieving social security bennifits from your home country.

registered inhabitants means proof of legal stay.

furthermore one is an excepted(legal) member of Thai society.....with all the pro and cons.

car/motorcycle, .......

but also as a foreign husband in the house you all think is yours......and yes your Thai counterpart thinks that the blue book is ownerships book and still thinks she doesn't have to sign you in as a member of the household...........sorry....NOT ALL OFCOURSE.

HGMA

Can you elaborate on what you mean by social security benefits...........do you mean in Thailand or another country?

Twice attempted to get a Yellow Book...

After a preliminary visit we were told what we needed; 'O' Visa, copy passport, residence letter from immigration ,copy Blue Book, copy Thai gf id card, two witnesses complete with copy Blue Book and id cards.

Had everything for Attempt No. One.

Not quite sure what happened but we were told "Not this time but if you marry, come back and you can get a Yellow Book"

Subsequently we married.

Back for attempt No Two.

Different staff in the office...

Took everything as attempt one but with the addition of marriage cerificate.

After about 45 mins they produced a Yellow Book, so I had one in my hands briefly, but they decided that we needed " A government employee witness as well as the two we had"

This seems in line with other peoples experiences...The goal posts seem to keep moving.

My application was an exercise in futlity! I went in with all of the documents and was asked for my Drivers License. An older woman looked at my license and sad that it was fake because there was no address printed on the back. She was instructed to go the PD next store and check in their computer.. She did, and when she came back she was ranting that my address was in Samui and that I must have a ytellow book in Samui to have been able to get a 5 year license. The next hurdle came when she looked at the certified copy of my passport. She managed to find an application for a US applicant from 3 years ago and when the signatures were different than those on mine she went into a rage that my documnet was fake even though it had the embossed stamp form the embassy. I was taken aside by my village chief and he explained that the old lady was the aunt of the HMIC and that my application would not be approved until she agreed. He asked me to wait until she retired in October this year,. I've have a new passport but haven't been back to try again and am not sure that I will. It's funny, I know almost everybody in the area, but they won't loose face by going against Broom Hilda! How typical THai!

• Like 1

My application was an exercise in futlity! I went in with all of the documents and was asked for my Drivers License. An older woman looked at my license and sad that it was fake because there was no address printed on the back. She was instructed to go the PD next store and check in their computer.. She did, and when she came back she was ranting that my address was in Samui and that I must have a ytellow book in Samui to have been able to get a 5 year license. The next hurdle came when she looked at the certified copy of my passport. She managed to find an application for a US applicant from 3 years ago and when the signatures were different than those on mine she went into a rage that my documnet was fake even though it had the embossed stamp form the embassy. I was taken aside by my village chief and he explained that the old lady was the aunt of the HMIC and that my application would not be approved until she agreed. He asked me to wait until she retired in October this year,. I've have a new passport but haven't been back to try again and am not sure that I will. It's funny, I know almost everybody in the area, but they won't loose face by going against Broom Hilda! How typical THai!

nightmare!

Civil Registration Act 2008:

Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons

Civil Registration Act 2008:

Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons

Have you got the link to the Thai Government website which deals with the Civil Registration Act please.

It might come in useful when I go to the tessabaan.

Thanks.

There are two Civil Registration Acts:

1. Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 (1991)
  2. Civil Registration Act (No.2) B.E.2551 (2008), which amends the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534

If somebody can give me the law's Thai name I should be able to identify both Acts in the attached list, which is in Thai, and then find them on the web.

Source for the attachment (but the attachment may download faster): web.krisdika.go.th/data/organization/tha/lawindex/lawindex_19.pdf

Thai laws - index - th.pdf

Edited by lopburi3
correct date

Google translation helped me find the Thai name of the Civil Registration Act: พระราชบัญญัติการทะเบียนราษฎร. Next, I shall hunt down the two Acts.

P.S. Here it is:

Civil Registration Act BE 2534 (1991) updated with Act No. 2 BE 2551 (2008) - th.pdf

Source: web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%A119/%A119-20-9999-update.pdf

As said every Amphur is different, got mine in Nongprue with minimum difficulty, paperwork were blue book and copy, translated copy of passport ( translation company in Pattaya 400 baht) company papers showing me as director, two witnesses from village with their blue books and Thai ID cards. All done in one day, returned ten days later to collect book, cost 100 baht.

Used so far to renew driving licence,, renew retirement extension and for 90 day reporting when proof of address needed.

I got a yellow book today.

Needed were:-

1- copy of passport/work permit

2- letter of residence from immigration

3- marriage certificate

4- wife's blue book and id

5- kids' birth certificates

6 - house rental contract.

No cost.

Edited by lopburi3
correct tab/below correction

• 3 months later...

Decided to apply for one after reading several threads here ....

My wife phoned to the amphoe of Kamphaeng Saen (Nakorn pathom province) to make sure about the documents

1- copy of passport with translation/ certification /work permit
2- marriage certificate (certified copy)
3- wife's blue book and id and thai passport too
4- kids' birth certificates then passport too

5 - Certification from the Poo Yai Baan that he/she know us

Then a "fee without receipt "have been asked from the civil servant.... My wife and I are uptset about it and will try to denounce it as it have been stated that it should be free. We will see in few days when we ll be back with all the documents needed to establish thois document.

PS : In 15 years of residency / work in Thailand, it's the first time I am directly asked to give a bride...for something than i am able to receive legally.... not surprised but feel upset ...

Hi. All exemples/cases here (and in most old threads about the Yellow Book) are about a House and include a Wife...
What about a foreigner who own a condo ?

I remember I tried at Pattaya 5 years ago, and if getting a Blue Book was only a few minutes wait,

getting the Yellow one was such an administration nightmare that I gave up about this idea... sad.png

Interested about any recent experience about Yellow Book by a Pattaya Condo owner smile.png

Just come here to update the situation.

As my wife was really p°°°ed off with this situation (tongue.png )she went back and talk to the Palat in charge and the staff have been ordered to do it as soon the documents were allright.

It took us today 90 minutes for checking and doing it because the staff worked slowly.

all the photocopies have been signed then the Poo Jay Baan has to come and also signed an fistfull of document the staff showed to her. Then it was done.... I just pay 10 bath for the plastic cover to protect my "yellow book" smile.png