Oz Visa - 12 Month Multi-Entry Tourist Visa Advice

Looking for advice in regards to a 12 month tourist visa application that my GF will be submitting in the near future.

Brief background info -

* Late 20's (her) / Early 30's (me)

* University Degree (her)

* Works with family in their farming business (her)

* Working professional with secure job / home / etc (me)

* Regular visitor to Thailand (6 trips in past 18 months)

* Relationship of 14 months / planning to get engaged in coming months / married in Thailand early next year

She has previously been granted a 3 month / single entry tourist visa to Oz earlier this year (which I acted as sponsor). She visited me in Oz in February this year for 3 weeks.

I'm planning on visting Thailand late April / early May. During this time I'm planning on helping the GF apply for a 2nd tourist visa, but this time I want her to receive a 12 month / multi-entry visa. I want to be able to plan her trips to Oz ahead of time and not have to go through the visa application process everytime she wants to come visit me.

I'm looking for advice / comments on the following questions please -

#1) When she applied for her first visa, I was arranging all the sponsorship paperwork from Australia. For her new application, I plan on having her arrange an appointment with the Australian Embassy & for us both to visit the embassy to submit her application. My question is, does the embassy put any weight towards the fact that we've both submitted the application in person, or is it no different to simply posting the application in?

#2) I was annoyed with her first application conditions because she verbally agreed with the embassy that she would only stay in Australia for 3 weeks & then return to Thailand (despite it being a 3 month visa). But we stuck to the 3 week timeframe so her future applications weren't adversely affected. I wasn't planning on having her apply for another visa so soon after the first one, but my work situation would mean that having her come back in May/June would suit me best. My question is, given that her first visa won't expire until early May, is there any issues with her submitting a 2nd visa application in the first week of May (when I'm in Thailand)?

#3) My plan is to submit this 2nd visa using the same template that I used for her 1st application. Do I need to do anything majorly different in the 2nd application regarding the fact that she is applying for a 12 month / multi-entry visa? For example, will she need to show more funds in her bank accounts to support herself for a longer holiday in Australia? Or will they put more faith in my ability to financially support her in Australia considering she's already been to Oz once before with me?

#4) Following on from #3, I plan to bring her out for approximately 1 month at a time around (May/June) & (September) & (December). Reasons such as 'seeing snow', experiencing winter overseas, family events, christmas, etc. Do I have to outline these dates / reasons in the visa application to justify a 12 month/multi-entry?

Thanks guys, any advice greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

1. No.....it is her aplication, you being there makes no difference

2. No.....the new visa cancels the old one

3. No.....Just update the new application evidence, eg photos of her in Oz and tick the 12 month box on the App.

4. you can outline an itinery if you want.......upto you.

All she can do is follow the response to number three and take her chances on getting a 12 month ME.....it is at the discretion of the embassy as to what they grant. And it is not a given

3. No.....Just update the new application evidence, eg photos of her in Oz and tick the 12 month box on the App.

All she can do is follow the response to number three and take her chances on getting a 12 month ME.....it is at the discretion of the embassy as to what they grant. And it is not a given

Thanks gburns. Just on point #1, let's take my presence out of the equation. Do you think it makes a better impression if my GF makes an appointment & submits her visa application to the embassy in person, or would it make no difference if she simply posted to application in?

• Like 1

Given that the Embassy has outsourced the application processing to VFS it would seem they dont want people seeking visa's turning up. However if she went to VFS without an appointment they would probably review all the paperwork and advise of any shortcomings.

My previous male partner has visited Australia 4 times in 3 years, with stays from 2 weeks to 2 months. 1st Visa application was submitted with many supporting docs. and pics etc. Second was again supported with not so much detail & 3 and 4th Visa app. was easy, an 'Electronic Visa' was granted. No Visa sticker in the Passport.

What I take and share is, The Embassy want a reason for the Thai person to retun to Thailand (and not seen to be a potential overstayer) and by not abuusing the past visa, any furture application will be seen more favourably by the processing officer at VFS.

I would go to VFS in BKK with your partner and lodge the Application, I feel it does show some type of extra weight to the application, but, I suggest to NOT mention a planned Engagement to marry. Keep it simple, I also said truely that family occaisions, meet friends, experiencing snow etc.. Good luck.

• Like 1

I agree with Matthew. They tend to get better once a person has shown an ability to enter Australia and leave again. My GF, now wife (we're going through the PR application, now that is heavy duty) got a 12 month multiple entry first time and then each time afterwards.

My only advice would be always drown them with paperwork, they love it. I know a bloke who was getting a new visa for his adopted daughter, about the 10th, and he didn't send a copy of his bank statement, and they knocked it back on spec. Never forget you're dealing with i dotting, t crossing bureaucrats.

And re #2. NEVER get angry with them.

Best of luck, not just with the visa, with your lady.

Thanks gburns. Just on point #1, let's take my presence out of the equation. Do you think it makes a better impression if my GF makes an appointment & submits her visa application to the embassy in person, or would it make no difference if she simply posted to application in?

No difference at all....each application is judged on its own merit, the delivery is unimportant.....The VFS office at CC towers is also good for lodging as they will look over the application and then advice if further info maybe required.

as others have said, not a big difference. You hand the documents over to the staff and that is it. As already advised make an effort with docs. I did a folder with different segments, references from Thai police friend, lawyer at home that new here, my mother etc etc, photos of house in Thai, photos of Thai budha marriage 2 years earlier. Details of trip, Sydney-Perth-BKK, visit family friends etc.

She got 12 months multiple, I did not even ask for.

My wife we married in Australia.had two 3 month tourist visa's,second one we were married here in Australia.Third time asked for a 12 month visa they knocked us back and only gave us a 6 month single entry.Each time we or she went home early never stayed full time for the visa.Now going the partner visa fingers crossed she has done the hospital check on the 5th goes for the police check then I think we just wait anything up to 6 months for them to decide.Anybody done partner visa any different is the police check and hospital the only thing required as she is hanging around Bangkok to do this but wants to go home to Non burra lamphu.

You mentioned you were going to use the same template as before, these forms change from time to time. I recommend you download the lastest forms or it will probably be returned to you,which means another application fee and lost time.

Cheers and good luck.

If you want to send me an email and I can discuss it further. At the moment I am in Thailand and returning to Brisbane Australia on the 6th April,

Me an my fiance did a visa application that was approved. We planned to get married after recieving the visa in thailand. We decided that it would be best to not say that we would be getting married after the visa was approved. As we sent lots of evidence including skype message logs and facebook posts we had to go and delete all references to getting married on our facebook page and delete any comments on skype that said we were looking forward to our marriage.

Anyway, I would not suggest you say you are going to change relationship status after getting your visa and would remove in your evidence of a relationship any refference to it.

Thanks guys.

Thommo - you are correct. When I said I was going to use the same template, I made a mistake. What I meant was that I'd use the first application as a guide on what to include in the 2nd application (e.g. photos, email/phone records, employment details, reason to return, etc). Will definitely use the current application forms that immigration require.

Will take others comments on board & once again drown the application with paperwork (photos, phone records, etc).

I thought making an appointment with the embassy & applying directly to them might save a few bucks & possibly make the application get processed quicker. But judging by some of your comments, it appears the embassy isn't keen on having visa applications submitted directly to them. If that's the case, I'll just let the GF submit her application with the VFS.

Regarding the potential for getting married in the future - this is definitely something I've go no intention of mentioning or alluding to it in her application.

Edited by secretariat

Good insight by BM's here to the OP's questions. My experience is two TV's to Australia, first overloaded with proof of contact, photo's etc and got the Stat Dec signed by a MP to add wait to it. First Visa was lodged at VFS in Phuket and the staff there were a great help as myself and TG really not had any experience in this before.

Second TV lodged in VFS in BKK, and made a mistake by thinking the officer there understood me and took her answer as gospil, and in the end TG had to come out here a month earlier than we planned. Did contact the Embassay and explained the error, and quickly found out VFS staff are not allowed to offer advice, so did not go down that path to not get the girl in trouble. Embassay held their ground,as technically my error. I was really peed off. but remained calm as no point in burning bridges now with more important Visa's down the track.

The moral of that, is if you are not certain of something, enquire and find out before heading to VFS office.

• 3 weeks later...

Good insight by BM's here to the OP's questions. My experience is two TV's to Australia, first overloaded with proof of contact, photo's etc and got the Stat Dec signed by a MP to add wait to it. First Visa was lodged at VFS in Phuket and the staff there were a great help as myself and TG really not had any experience in this before.

Second TV lodged in VFS in BKK, and made a mistake by thinking the officer there understood me and took her answer as gospil, and in the end TG had to come out here a month earlier than we planned. Did contact the Embassay and explained the error, and quickly found out VFS staff are not allowed to offer advice, so did not go down that path to not get the girl in trouble. Embassay held their ground,as technically my error. I was really peed off. but remained calm as no point in burning bridges now with more important Visa's down the track.

The moral of that, is if you are not certain of something, enquire and find out before heading to VFS office.

Another awesome first post ...

thumbsup.gif ... but not back since?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks thommo, that's definitely going to come in handy down the track.

So how is the application going ... any progress?

Sorry for not replying sooner, have just got back from my most recent trip & didn't get online much.

In regards to an update, there isn't much to comment on. Whilst I've prepared all my documentation from my side, I've left them with my gf. Never got around to submitting the application on this trip, as I figured it won't have any affect whether she submits the application by herself, so decided to leave things a few weeks before submitting the application.

Plan is to have her submit the application later this month or early next month - it works out better for both of us if she stays in Thailand for a couple of months before coming over. When the application is submitted I will post an update on how it progresses & whether it's successful or not.

Thanks thommo, that's definitely going to come in handy down the track.

So how is the application going ... any progress?

Sorry for not replying sooner, have just got back from my most recent trip & didn't get online much.

In regards to an update, there isn't much to comment on. Whilst I've prepared all my documentation from my side, I've left them with my gf. Never got around to submitting the application on this trip, as I figured it won't have any affect whether she submits the application by herself, so decided to leave things a few weeks before submitting the application.

Plan is to have her submit the application later this month or early next month - it works out better for both of us if she stays in Thailand for a couple of months before coming over. When the application is submitted I will post an update on how it progresses & whether it's successful or not.

Mate thanks for coming back and updating.

Wishing you and the Thai gf the best with the Visa Application.