Dating Muslima

Infect a Muslim and Christian can merry without anyone converting. People of the books can have no problem as long as they believe in one god and Muhammad as the last prophet. Teachings are the same for both religion. Anyone who has sinned is forgiven provided one repent on his or her sins.

In other words... Problem.

• Like 1

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If something is unfalsifiable, a truth value is meaningless. An example of which would be stating that I have an invisible pink leprechaun called Colin living in my shed.

so that's where Colin lives now? i was worried that something bad happened to him when he disappeared.

• Like 2

Infect a Muslim and Christian can merry without anyone converting. People of the books can have no problem as long as they believe in one god and Muhammad as the last prophet. Teachings are the same for both religion. Anyone who has sinned is forgiven provided one repent on his or her sins.

Your first sentence makes no sense.

Oh, wait a minute- did you mean IN FACT, A MUSLIM AND A CHRISTIAN CAN MARRY WITHOUT ANYONE CONVERTING?

That's not the problem; it's when they have children that the problems begin.

Just seems to me that there are plenty of Buddhist Thai girls out there with no religious baggage, that a religion makes any demands on your life or that of any potential children seems like a real good reason to steer clear of it. Surely government exerts enough control already without having some religion add to it. Would you marry a Jehovah Witness and go down that road, if not why would you do it for a Muslim? Life is complicated enough without unnecessarily adding to the dramas.

Edited by Rancid

FWIW, the younger son of a friend living in Samui returned home for a visit. Told his mum he was living with a muslim girl, and was going to marry her. He's converted, had the snip etc. He may as well have told his mum he was dead. Our friend has cried every day since that titbit was delivered.

Edited by Mosha

Oh, wait a minute- did you mean IN FACT, A MUSLIM AND A CHRISTIAN CAN MARRY WITHOUT ANYONE CONVERTING?

If a person is that much in love to merry someone from another religion he should be prepared for the same when he or she has a sibling. Were their parents ever thought that their offspring will be merrying into another religion? It is a vast subject but I do not think the problems emanting from such unions are any different from other. If that was so, we would not have such a huge divorce rate in the western world at large. Problems are part of a married couple life. Some like to live with them some runaway and some try to find a way from TV friends.

And thanks for the correction.

If a person is that much in love to merry someone from another religion he should be prepared for the same when he or she has a sibling. Were their parents ever thought that their offspring will be merrying into another religion? It is a vast subject but I do not think the problems emanting from such unions are any different from other. If that was so, we would not have such a huge divorce rate in the western world at large. Problems are part of a married couple life. Some like to live with them some runaway and some try to find a way from TV friends.

And thanks for the correction.

If someone wants to convert and are happy that their child will be inculcated into that myth then there should not be a problem. The problem is if one objects to the others myth being inculcated.

To go back to your earlier post if I may....

People of the books can have no problem as long as they believe in one god and Muhammad as the last prophet. Teachings are the same for both religion.

The people of the book is only spoken about in Islam and it refers to Jews only. The teachings are nothing like the same. Judaism sees Christ as a fraud and Muhammad as a fraud. Christianity sees Christ as the son of the Abrahamic god and Muhammad as a fraud. Islam sees Christ as a prophet and Muhammad as the final prophet. The only thing 'same same' is that they all stem from the same monotheistic death cult, that's all.

• Like 1

Comments on moderation have been removed.

Please bear in mind this is not an adult only forum. Thai Visa is meant to be a family forum, as such in keeping it in that manner, it would not be family friendly to have content of a sexually explicit nature posted now would it?

Date or worse still, marry a Muslim, it will be more her (interfering) family that you end up with, not her. Admittedly this happens in all faiths, up to a point. Best left well alone and go with your own faith or at least one other than Islam. It could still end in disaster of course, as many of us can testify, but at least you're giving yourself a fighting chance of a successful marriage which will give you a few years' of happiness. Marrying a Muslim girl, then having things go belly up whilst the kids are still young, be prepared to say goodbye to them, probably never to see them again until adulthood. Be warned!

Date or worse still, marry a Muslim, it will be more her (interfering) family that you end up with, not her. Admittedly this happens in all faiths, up to a point. Best left well alone and go with your own faith or at least one other than Islam. It could still end in disaster of course, as many of us can testify, but at least you're giving yourself a fighting chance of a successful marriage which will give you a few years' of happiness. Marrying a Muslim girl, then having things go belly up whilst the kids are still young, be prepared to say goodbye to them, probably never to see them again until adulthood. Be warned!

That's not the experience of my colleagues who have married muslims, but presumably you have married more muslims than they have.

That's not the experience of my colleagues who have married muslims, but presumably you have married more muslims than they have.

I also know inter myth belief couples who have being together for years, some with children some without. I also know people who ride their motorbike drunk as a skunk most nights and have never been involved in an accident. I know people who are running the PSU on their PC at 110% and above its recomended operating temperature who never have a problem.

Nothing is an absolute but on average, the candle that burns twice as bright only burns half as long.

The Muslim I work with tells me a Muslim man can marry a Christian or Jew without her converting, but that it is forbidden for a Muslim woman to marry anyone but a fellow Muslim.

Born in an Islamic country and spent most of my years in Iran and Saudi. Still in the Middle East. This does not make me an expert but it qualifies me to state a pretty informed opinion. Your friends have been extremely lucky and I wish them well. Alhumdullilah

The Muslim I work with tells me a Muslim man can marry a Christian or Jew without her converting,

Under Islamic law this could not happen regardless of payment of Jizyah.

The Muslim I work with tells me a Muslim man can marry a Christian or Jew without her converting,

According to this it can http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2267&CATE=10

According to this it can http://qa.sunnipath....ID=2267&CATE=10

Do not marry unbelieving women until they believe.

?

[edit]

Have a bit of spare time so thought I would elucidate.

The above verse of the Holy Quran along with many other statements of the Quran and Sunnah clearly mention the impermissibility of Muslims marrying non-Muslims. Therefore, a marriage between a Muslim and someone from another religion will not be lawful or even valid according to Islam. The exception, however, is mentioned in the following verse:

(Lawful unto you in marriage are chaste women who are believers and chaste women among the people of the book. (al-Maidah, 5).

Thus, it would be permissible, in principle, for Muslim men to marry women from the people of the book (ahl al-Kitab) namely Christian and Jewish girls. However, this is also subjected to certain conditions, as will be mentioned later.

The 'people of the book' are Jewish people, Jewish people and in this case girls. If the writer wants to somehow pile drive Christianity into it then they would have to also include Islam since they all derive from the monotheistic god of Abraham.

And here is the crux....

A question may arise here, that if the difference between Muslims and people of the book is considered to be lighter as compared to other faiths, then why is it unlawful for Muslim girls to marry Christian and Jewish men?

The answer to this question is that, women are somewhat weak and emotional by nature. Then the husband has been given a caretaking and controlling role over the wife. As such, it is very likely that the Muslim wife may fall prey and become impressed with her husbands faith. The chances of the husband becoming affected by his wifes faith are remote, thus the difference between the two situations is clear.

So make an unfounded presentation (in bold) then draw a conclusion from it. Strawman argument anyone?

The 'people of the book' are Jewish people

wrong! the expression هل الكتاب‎ covers Christians too. the Qr'an refers several times to Jews, Christians and Sabians as "people of the book".

• Like 1

wrong! the expression هل الكتاب‎ covers Christians too. the Qr'an refers several times to Jews, Christians and Sabians as "people of the book".

I agree but try to find a respected Islamic scholar (alive) who accepts this. The two implications are that the book contains contradictions (a certain no no) or followers of the cult of Muhammadan Islam are also people of the book (a certain no no)

I agree but try to find a respected Islamic scholar (alive) who accepts this. The two implications are that the book contains contradictions (a certain no no) or followers of the cult of Muhammadan Islam are also people of the book (a certain no no)

islamic scholars are like lawyers. you ask half a dozen respected lawyers a question and you will receive a dozen different answers. on top of that, the answers vary with time and what is "en vogue".

in the early 70s, when when real money was flowing into the Arabian peninsula there was a movement of pragmatic scholars to differentiate between "usury" and "interest" by defining what the Qr'an forbids and calls "riba". the aim was to allow payment of interest based on the qr'anic suggestion that investing capital in any commercial venture should generate pro rata profits. they did not succeed as hardliners rejected any differentiation. to circumvent forbidden riba, credit as well as debit interest was called "commission" and today's islamic "suquq" bonds pay a "profit share" not interest. all ridiculous hair splitting in my [not so] humble opinion!

in the early 70s, when when real money was flowing into the Arabian peninsula there was a movement of pragmatic scholars to differentiate between "usury" and "interest" by defining what the Qr'an forbids and calls "riba". the aim was to allow payment of interest based on the qr'anic suggestion that investing capital in any commercial venture should generate pro rata profits. they did not succeed as hardliners rejected any differentiation. to circumvent forbidden riba, credit as well as debit interest was called "commission" and today's islamic "suquq" bonds pay a "profit share" not interest. all ridiculous hair splitting in my [not so] humble opinion!

We hear of various scams by TV posters, some of which are undoubtedly scams such as the jetskis while others such as negotiating the price of a tuk tuk by half then being told the price is per person which I don't consider a scam.

What you write above is without question a scam. A scam on the divinity of the invisable sky daddy the people profess to believe in but also a self imposed scam on the individual.

The first thing that came to mind when I read you post some hours ago was Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet..

What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet

• 1 month later...

Don't.......Seriously!

There are so many guys near where I live that continue to fall in to this trap. They all end up separated and/or divorced. The reasons are simple. If your relationship gets that serious you want to marry then you will have to/pretend convert to Islam. Once you have children the problems will start. About the age of two or three the wife's parents will insist on a strong muslim upbringing for their Grandchild. You may be living away from the Grandparents home area, but your wife WILL up and leave with your child, back to her parental home. There are many broken hearted men I know and when I hear another is about to embark on the same course of action I just say why? I have not known a relationship in Thailand between a muslim girl/non muslim man end any differently. If you have a baby girl she will be a valuable 'asset' to the family, new blood, whitish skin, worthy of a good dowry. I am not being racist or bigoted, these are just the facts from many many thai men I know that fell in love with a muslim woman. All will be great and well until you have children and they reach toddler age. Your wife may even love you very much but when her parents say 'come home and bring the child', thats it, and you will get NO visiting rights.

By the way, don't be fooled by the no sex before marriage thing. Young Muslim women are just as curious about sex as any other young woman, but don't get caught, her brothers will have your gonads.

So...you have been warned. Good luck.

I agree with this completely. My last Thai Girlfriend was a Muslim. Initially she seemed about as Muslim as I am Catholic. It was an upbringing, and not much more. Sex was fun and often, and she was a blast to go out drinking with. She did not eat pork, but she did not go overboard with the praying either. Sometimes only first thing in the morning. She did not wear a scarf, or flaunt her religion. In fact we had dated probably 4 or 5 months before I even knew she was Muslim. I asked her why she didn't ask me to go to temple with her like past girlfriends had and she told me. After a while we got serious and started talking about a future. She started talking about our kids have to be raised Muslim, she made me take down all the Buddhas and the Virgin Mary Statue I had in my apartment. Eventually she took me to meet her family. That was a disaster. We went to her mothers birthday party with the whole family. I didn't need to speak the language to understand they were NOT HAPPY, and the dirty looks were not in short supply.. The following weekend she went home to visit, she came back with bruises and cigarette burns which she wouldn't talk about, Her earings and Navel peircing were out, and she was adament that I had to convert to Islam. Sex became less and less frequent, with her even encouraging me to go out and get with bar girls. We pushed through about another year of an off and on relationship fighting alot and eventually dropping the whole thing. I think this process will be repeated more often than not.

Maybe it was referring to her religious place of worship as a "temple" I'd bet that really set it all sideways! cheesy.gif

In Thailand, assuming someone is Buddhist is not a bad call. In fact the thing that set it off was her family discovering I wasn't muslim. The bane of Islam is the elders.