Driving A Thai Registered Car In Laos

[1] You must own the car, No hire purchase. [2] You must get a Car Passport from the Motor transport office in your area. [3] The first time you take it to Laos take All paperwork on the car, proof of ownership etc. At Mukdahan they check all this before they will enter it on their computer as they verify the car passport not just accept it. [4] Cost to go over the bridge in Muk depends on the number of passengers, if only 1 person around 300 baht plus 50bht as you leave the Thai side, plus 20bht for wheel decontamination as you enter the Lao side. [5] Then 1,500 bht for your Visa to Laos. [6] Then there is an insurance office after you pass through Lao Immigration on the left where you take out insurance, cost 200 baht per week, a must have for your own good. So thats about it and drive safely and slower than in Thailand.

• Like 1

[1] You must own the car, No hire purchase. [2] You must get a Car Passport from the Motor transport office in your area. [3] The first time you take it to Laos take All paperwork on the car, proof of ownership etc. At Mukdahan they check all this before they will enter it on their computer as they verify the car passport not just accept it. [4] Cost to go over the bridge in Muk depends on the number of passengers, if only 1 person around 300 baht plus 50bht as you leave the Thai side, plus 20bht for wheel decontamination as you enter the Lao side. [5] Then 1,500 bht for your Visa to Laos. [6] Then there is an insurance office after you pass through Lao Immigration on the left where you take out insurance, cost 200 baht per week, a must have for your own good. So thats about it and drive safely and slower than in Thailand.

And remember they drive on the right.....left and in the middle. Worst thing is looking the wrong way when you step off a kerb if you are not used to right lane driving.

Edited by harrry

Are there any exceptions or work-arounds for the non-finance rule?

NO, unless you are buddy buddy with very promonent officers of both Thai Immigration and Customs at the Border Crossing that you are going to use. Then they may be able to give you the help necessary to take the car.

Djh is correct. Just got back from Laos. Had all papers and all went well. Think driving is safer in Laos. Slower speeds, fewer cars, people seem to follow the rules better. Only hassle was crossing the border and figuring out which papers to take to which window.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

need to also have ur thai license plate translated into English stickers or do what I have an English license plate

it shows the Thai letters in English and does not list the province but says Thailand ( this was obtained in Phuket for 200 baht for both plates.)

Have crossed from Nong Kha and this July will cross over at Chaing Khong way up north

Didn't need the translated license plate for Nong Khai crossing into Laos.

The same applies at Mukdahan although my car has my Aussie plate on the front also, DJH77, which seems to keep the Lao police happy, never been questioned about it in Lao. The funny part is that without the english lettered Thai plate the Lao police may stop you and demand a fine BUT if you drive the car back into Thailand with these plates on it, the Thai police can fine you. You are suppose to change the plates over when you drive back into Thailand. On a couple of occasions i have been asked at Thai police road blocks," What is this number plate" I tell them its for driving in Lao, it's my plate from Australia, and the answer is OH, OK, you can go. The usual saying applies, This is Thailand.

As I understand it, you really won't have much cover with the Laos insurance. I'd recommend extending your Thai insurance to cover Laos. About 3 or 4 thousand baht for 2 weeks.

Can you do that for cambo also ??

I drove in laos last year....went one way down a way way street.....just the wrong way....got a fine......got called by cops another time for something and kept driving.

The same applies at Mukdahan although my car has my Aussie plate on the front also, DJH77, which seems to keep the Lao police happy, never been questioned about it in Lao. The funny part is that without the english lettered Thai plate the Lao police may stop you and demand a fine BUT if you drive the car back into Thailand with these plates on it, the Thai police can fine you. You are suppose to change the plates over when you drive back into Thailand. On a couple of occasions i have been asked at Thai police road blocks," What is this number plate" I tell them its for driving in Lao, it's my plate from Australia, and the answer is OH, OK, you can go. The usual saying applies, This is Thailand.

Whats with the Aussie plate....why ??

As I understand it, you really won't have much cover with the Laos insurance. I'd recommend extending your Thai insurance to cover Laos. About 3 or 4 thousand baht for 2 weeks.

Can you do that for cambo also ??

I drove in laos last year....went one way down a way way street.....just the wrong way....got a fine......got called by cops another time for something and kept driving.

Pretty hopeless trying to take a car to Cambodia.

Within about 2 years or so under the ASEAN agreement, all this sort of stuff should be sorted out

"never ganna happen?" - well is HAS to, I think we can expect some dramatic changes in accessibility to other countries for private cars and they may happen quite quickly.

It does concern me thogh that so many appear to be driving in Laos without any cover.

Edited by Histavia

Whats with the Aussie plate....why ??

Well i own 2 Aussie Plates, DH-111 which i have had since 1969 and DJH-77 which i got in Queensland when they were introduced in about 1993. This is a slim line plate which fits perfectly in the plate indentation on the front bodywork of the Pajero and i like the look. I had lowered the Thai plate with a bracket that i made up putting it below the Grill as the origional position for the plate is right in front of the intercooler greatly restricting the air flow which of course reduces the efficiency of the intercooler which inturn reduces the performance especially during the heat of the day but it is necessary to fit a stone mesh guard in front of the intercooler to protect it from stones etc. I have had this plate on my cars for 8 years in Thailand and on so many occasions when flying down the highway and the highway police strole out and put up their hand for me to stop then they see this plate and not knowing what it is immediately wave me on which suits me just fine. So i like the look and it serves a purpose both here and in Laos.

Why not leave your vehicle in the secure lock-up on the Thai side, which they have for a reason; and rent a Laos car with driver.

Can't be too expensive and well worth the peace of mind. A drawback to some might be having the Laos driver/chaffeur as 'part of the travelling family' but in my experience not a bother. Buying them a meal and whatever at rest stops is inexpensive and they know enough to fade to their own table.

Google 'rental cars in Laos' for a current listing which includes my international Euro favorite. They''ll meet you. Have a safe trip....

• 4 weeks later...

I have now taken my car several times -to Laos - it has - touch wood - been hassle-free and very worthwhile IMO. I certainly don't want to hire another driver - why would I want to employ an idiot when I can drive perfectly well and better than most of the "professional" drivers in both Thailand and Laos?

Don't forget to get insurance before you go!