Thailand Looks Beyond The US Alliance

webfact

In another thread, Nick Nostitz compared the 2010 red uprising to the same ME events. Which is the sillier?

I didn't.

I only pointed out that, responding to your silly remark that "most of the world" would not accept armed protesters, that it indeed does at times for various reasons which are generally beyond the simplistic good vs. evil analysis (which though always seem to work when trying to make uncomfortable military engagements popular).

I am well aware that there are a few significant differences in the nature of the respective socio-political conflicts, and would suggest, when analysing the particular situation in Thailand, to look for parrallels in the German and Austro/Hungarian history approximately 100 and something years back as these two empires had somewhat similar systhematical problems then as Thailand has today.

Wouldn't German history 80 years ago be even closer?

Before Thailand expands international government relations maybe they should look into how fast they are burning bridges in international business. The recent debacle with the flooding and Japanese corporations is going to look real bad.

Honda doesn't seem to think so.

Not just Honda. As one of the largest investors in Thailand, Japanese companies cannot just close shop. They have invested billions in the infrastructure and training of workers. They also have a sales market to protect. If Japanese manufacturers pulled out they would lose the tariff benefits that attach to products manufactured and sold in Thailand.

Also MINIBEAR a Japanese company that make all sorts of electrical components, they have some 20,000+ people working for them 24 Hrs a day all over Thailand. They were also flooded on 3 occasions prior to the last big flood.

They are going no where.

Honda sells over one million motorbikes every year in Thailand, two out of every three sold. That is a phenomenal market share and another reason why they will stay put.

In another thread, Nick Nostitz compared the 2010 red uprising to the same ME events. Which is the sillier?

I didn't.

I only pointed out that, responding to your silly remark that "most of the world" would not accept armed protesters, that it indeed does at times for various reasons which are generally beyond the simplistic good vs. evil analysis (which though always seem to work when trying to make uncomfortable military engagements popular).

I am well aware that there are a few significant differences in the nature of the respective socio-political conflicts, and would suggest, when analysing the particular situation in Thailand, to look for parrallels in the German and Austro/Hungarian history approximately 100 and something years back as these two empires had somewhat similar systhematical problems then as Thailand has today.

LOL. next time, try to dumb it down. You might want to consider illustrations too. Some of these people have no clue as to what the Austro/Hungarian Empire was and how the events leading up to WWI changed the world and laid the foundation for WWII and eventually the cold war.

Edited by geriatrickid

I didn't.

Wouldn't German history 80 years ago be even closer?

It could not be further.

Regardless of the hyperbole of comparing Thaksin with Hitler, the irony is that the ones who may be closest in ideology to the movement out of which the NSDAP was born out of - the "Voelkisch Movement" - in today's Thailand are Thaksin's most extreme opponents - the PAD.

Nevertheless, the parameters of the social conflict that led to the rise of the Nazis in Germany are very different to Thailand's present conflict, while, if you read up on history, you can find many parallels in Germany's pre-WW1 history and Thailand's situation today - both ideological and systhematical.

Edited by nicknostitz

I didn't.

LOL. next time, try to dumb it down. You might want to consider illustrations too. Some of these people have no clue as to what the Austro/Hungarian Empire was and how the events leading up to WWI changed the world and laid the foundation for WWII and eventually the cold war.

Unfortunately it appears so...

Before Thailand expands international government relations maybe they should look into how fast they are burning bridges in international business. The recent debacle with the flooding and Japanese corporations is going to look real bad.

Honda doesn't seem to think so.

Not just Honda. As one of the largest investors in Thailand, Japanese companies cannot just close shop. They have invested billions in the infrastructure and training of workers. They also have a sales market to protect. If Japanese manufacturers pulled out they would lose the tariff benefits that attach to products manufactured and sold in Thailand.

Also MINIBEAR a Japanese company that make all sorts of electrical components, they have some 20,000+ people working for them 24 Hrs a day all over Thailand. They were also flooded on 3 occasions prior to the last big flood.

They are going no where.

Companies already in Thailand may have difficulties to move and probably most of them will stay, they cannot interrupt their production during a couple of years for moving their installations. But for new businesses (or development of current ones), managers will think at least 3 times before investing in Thailand. On the other end, some ASEAN countries are booming (Vietnam, Malaysia). Just look a the Japanese and Chinese investment flow in Sarawak and the success of "SCORE"as an example.