Best Curry And Kebab

dazk

New to Jomtien, moved down from north east, looking forward to the only two things i am missing from uk Indian Curry and Doner Kebab and yes i like kebab even when sober

Any recommendations please

Thanks All

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I am in Pattaya, I like to go to Roys Indian food, just off Soi buakhao, the owners wife actually got trained by a guy in a indian restaurant in bradford for a while so their food is pretty close to what you would get in the uk. As for Kebabs, I dont know anywhere thats like the UK ones, they do have some stalls around though which are certainly NOT the same as the UK.

kebabs can have up to 2 thousand calories in them,They are ok once in a while but you shouldn't eat all the time

Thanks for your concern markland but the horse has already bolted on that one

• Like 1

When I am in Pattaya, I like to go to Roys Indian food, just off Soi buakhao, the owners wife actually got trained by a guy in a indian restaurant in bradford for a while so their food is pretty close to what you would get in the uk. As for Kebabs, I dont know anywhere thats like the UK ones, they do have some stalls around though which are certainly NOT the same as the UK.

I reckon you mean Neroys, yeah? If their curries are like back in Bradford, remind me never to eat a curry in Bradford. (I don't believe it, sorry.)

Yeah, the kebabs in town are pretty crap.

For something similar and good, try the Iranian kebabs served on elegant rice at some of the Iranian restaurants, beef, spiced minced beef, or saffron chicken. Also Pattayanis Greek restaurant has excellent Greek style souvlaki (pork or chicken).

Edited by Jingthing

Hows Ali Baba on Pattaya Klang, its been there as long as i can remember so it must be doing something right?

Im going to be trying it out in a few weeks courtesy of the FreePlayo promotion, does anyone have any feedback?

Sorry to kinda hijack your thread.

BTW there is nothing like a big fat greasy doner kebab to soak up a belly full of beer, everything in moderation. I have had the chicken ones many times from the vedor carts etc dotted around Pattaya but the done compare to the lamb ones we get here in UK.

Neeroys curries are indeed not so good, their pie, mushy peas, mashed potatoes and gravy isn't half bad though and the view of the shenanigans over the road at Crazy Daves (if indeed it is still there, its been a while since i have been in town) is good fun.

My impression is that Ali Baba is a spot for tourists. I don't think many local expat Indian food lovers are regulars there. I ate there once, found the decor cheesy, and the food of the tons of ghee style. Not my scene but I'd eat there for free!

We've eaten at Alibaba often in the past and found the food great if a little on the pricey side. Agree with the cheesy decor, it's been like that as far back as I can remember, probably 15-20 years, so they must be doing something right. I just got my first 500 points win on FreePlayo so I might well be spending a 1,000 baht voucher there in the very near future. w00t.gif

ob. Doner Kebab, the best place these days are undoubtedly the kiosk behind Tukcom. The owner is a real friendly Turkish guy. This is also the only place I know of to offer home made falafel (vegatarian "meatballs"). He used to have a stall in Carrefour Big C Extra so you might recognize him from there, but that place has now been taken over by his ex-girlfriend...

I wouldn't travel too far out of my way for the place ...

There is also a rather fancy upscale Turkish kebab (etc.) place in the Avenue Mall. I haven't tried it and probably won't. I don't like the vibe or the prices but heck it might be good!

Well if you're after a good doner or falafel pita that's the place, but of course it's a kiosk, not a candle-lit dinner place.

I don't know if he is only there certain times, I'm usually peckish late-afternoon and the two times I passed by he was there.

Is this kiosk like on the roadside right outside Tukcom? Easy to find etc. I like doner kebabs a lot, had good ones in both Bradford and Istanbul. There are many bad ones out there and i believe its these that give them the bad press but you know when you get a real good one.

Uber calories and fat i know but as i said earlier, everything in moderation. Thanks

Is this kiosk like on the roadside right outside Tukcom? Easy to find etc. I like doner kebabs a lot, had good ones in both Bradford and Istanbul. There are many bad ones out there and i believe its these that give them the bad press but you know when you get a real good one.

Uber calories and fat i know but as i said earlier, everything in moderation. Thanks

Not on the street but right outside the south/back exit of Tukcom.

• 1 month later...

Is indian by nature any good? Not bothered on the price just the quality, freshness and taste of the food. Also does anyone know where to buy pita bread from? Missing my greek food, wouldnt mind some houmus and other dips with some nice warm pitta bread.

Is indian by nature any good? Not bothered on the price just the quality, freshness and taste of the food. Also does anyone know where to buy pita bread from? Missing my greek food, wouldnt mind some houmus and other dips with some nice warm pitta bread.

Hummus isn't Greek.

Anyway, I suggest Pattayanis (they're on Facebook for directions) for Greek food.

They have both a garlic potato and a garlic yogurt dip.

For Middle Eastern food there is the Middle Eastern district in Pattaya.

Friendship stocks Pita bread, 3 different sizes and normally nice and fresh. Also can normally get some good dips ih their chilled section.

Friendship stocks Pita bread, 3 different sizes and normally nice and fresh. Also can normally get some good dips ih their chilled section.

The dips are processed dips. Not good.

BTW, Pattayanis has special pita that they buy in. Not their regular Greek bread which they make, their pita bread. Ask them for their source.

Edited by Jingthing

The dips are processed dips. Not good.

BTW, Pattayanis has special pita that they buy in. Not their regular Greek bread which they make, their pita bread. Ask them for their source.

I agree some of the dips aren't good but I have had some very good locally made ones, I also add to or adjust the dips flavour to suit once I get it home.

After 10 years in Thailand I have never found a decent kebab or Indian curry..the closest and passable is The curry Hut in Jomtien complex, ask for a Tikka Masala Punjabi Style and it was quite good but last time I went wasnt so never went back...however its the nearest your get to an English style/tasting Indian curry...Alibabi I thought was typical Thai/Nepaleese style and expensive at that....The Curry Hut is actually owned by an Indian and not a Thai/Turk?Algerian or Nepaleese..and price isnt too bad either

I tried Indian By Nature two months ago & whilst the food,service & ambience was good I thought that it was way overpriced; 1800 Baht for two of us with two beers and a soft drink.I had the set menu which was OK but the sorbet served between courses is not an Indian thing & it was a bad attempt (crystalised) The tandoori prawns were good.

Try the Curry Hut at Rhompo Market, it has good curry at a fraction of the cost , I've heard that there is another new Indian place there which is also good

I ate at the Rompho Market place and found it very, very pedestrian. The nan bread was nothing of the kind and the curry was boring. I can't imagine thinking it is particularly good. Where is this OTHER Indian place in that area? Haven't noticed it.

BTW, as I suspected, what passes for "Indian" in the UK is nothing of the kind. Check out Gordon Ramsey's new show series (Gordon's Great Escape) where he hilariously learns the truth about UK Indian compared to real Indian in India.

Edited by Jingthing

I ate at the Rompho Market place and found it very, very pedestrian. The nan bread was nothing of the kind and the curry was boring. I can't imagine thinking it is particularly good. Where is this OTHER Indian place in that area? Haven't noticed it.

BTW, as I suspected, what passes for "Indian" in the UK is nothing of the kind. Check out Gordon Ramsey's new show series (Gordon's Great Escape) where he hilariously learns the truth about UK Indian compared to real Indian in India

What a sweeping totally rubbish statement.There is loads of bad curry in the UK but try going to somewhere like Bradford and tell them they can't make curry. Gordon Ramsay Is just a jumped up celeb we happily exported to the USA.

Time to get of your high horse and admit you do not know everything about all things culinary.

Edited by RabC
  • Like 1