Best Curry And Kebab

dazk

The place I like is on 2nd road just North of Pattaya Tai, on the right. Can't miss it...packed with middle eastern guys and has the grill setup right on the sidewalk. Great stuff.

First one when coming from Tai is Mr.Kabab, there are two of the kebab places with ourside grills near each other, Kabab is IMHO far tastier than the one a bit further north. The owner (I suppose, didn't actually ask if it's his place, but looks like it) that's cutting the meat is from Egypt, nice fellow. I've been getting my kebabs there for about three years now, never been disappointed. They're quite busy at times, but still fast enough so one doesn't have to wait for too long.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ate at the Rompho Market place and found it very, very pedestrian. The nan bread was nothing of the kind and the curry was boring. I can't imagine thinking it is particularly good. Where is this OTHER Indian place in that area? Haven't noticed it.

BTW, as I suspected, what passes for "Indian" in the UK is nothing of the kind. Check out Gordon Ramsey's new show series (Gordon's Great Escape) where he hilariously learns the truth about UK Indian compared to real Indian in India

What a sweeping totally rubbish statement.There is loads of bad curry in the UK but try going to somewhere like Bradford and tell them they can't make curry. Gordon Ramsay Is just a jumped up celeb we happily exported to the USA.

Time to get of your high horse and admit you do not know everything about all things culinary.

Listen to what the INDIANS Gordon interviews say about UK curries. That says it all.

For example, your national dish, chicken tikka masala done with lots of sugar and tomato sauce. Nothing like actual Butter Chicken done real Indian style. Not Indian food. British food.

Edited by Jingthing

I ate at the Rompho Market place and found it very, very pedestrian. The nan bread was nothing of the kind and the curry was boring. I can't imagine thinking it is particularly good. Where is this OTHER Indian place in that area? Haven't noticed it.

BTW, as I suspected, what passes for "Indian" in the UK is nothing of the kind. Check out Gordon Ramsey's new show series (Gordon's Great Escape) where he hilariously learns the truth about UK Indian compared to real Indian in India

What a sweeping totally rubbish statement.There is loads of bad curry in the UK but try going to somewhere like Bradford and tell them they can't make curry. Gordon Ramsay Is just a jumped up celeb we happily exported to the USA.

Time to get of your high horse and admit you do not know everything about all things culinary.

Listen to what the INDIANS Gordon interviews say about UK curries. That says it all.

For example, your national dish, chicken tikka masala done with lots of sugar and tomato sauce. Nothing like actual Butter Chicken done real Indian style. Not Indian food. British food.

That's why it's called Chicken Tikka Masala and not butter chicken, I would have thought even for someone as ignorant as you the difference in name might have indicated a difference in the meal.

• Like 1

The point is -- it is NOT Indian food and real Indians with Indian palates do NOT like it. 'Nuff said.

I'll admit it. I find it very annoying that UK people think they are the experts in Indian food. They know their style of food which is very different than Indian food. My life experience in "the colonies" is with actual Indian food, cooked by Indian chefs, mostly for Indian people. So yes I do know more about Indian food than the average arrogant Brit who is hilariously always searching for "UK style" curries. As silly as searching for "UK Chinese" in my book.

Edited by Jingthing

The point is -- it is NOT Indian food and real Indians with Indian palates do NOT like it. 'Nuff said.

I'll admit it. I find it very annoying that UK people think they are the experts in Indian food. They know their style of food which is very different than Indian food. My life experience in "the colonies" is with actual Indian food, cooked by Indian chefs, mostly for Indian people. So yes I do know more about Indian food than the average arrogant Brit who is hilariously always searching for "UK style" curries. As silly as searching for "UK Chinese" in my book.

I wouldnt listen much to Gordon Ramsey....the problems with Indian food in Thailand is they are not cooked by Indians..mostly Nepaleese but also Algerians and Turks...The Curry Hut is nearest to anything if Punjabi Style is asked for...The first time I visited there with an Indian friend and he was impressed as was I..I went many times and was always delighted with each meal but the last time a few months ago wasnt so good..I belive a different Chef and just havnt had time to go again....Most of the Indian restaurants in the UK are staffed by Indian nationals or 2nd generation so you cant say they dont know how to cook......and if you really want a history lesson I suggest you do some research on how present day Indian food in India was established under The Raj with the various spices that were imported from parts of The Empire...so in theory..an Indian curry really has been an English meal for a few centuriessmile.png

• Like 2

Is indian by nature any good? Not bothered on the price just the quality, freshness and taste of the food. Also does anyone know where to buy pita bread from? Missing my greek food, wouldnt mind some houmus and other dips with some nice warm pitta bread.

I tried Indian By Nature two months ago & whilst the food,service & ambience was good I thought that it was way overpriced; 1800 Baht for two of us with two beers and a soft drink.I had the set menu which was OK but the sorbet served between courses is not an Indian thing & it was a bad attempt (crystalised) The tandoori prawns were good.

Try the Curry Hut at Rhompo Market, it has good curry at a fraction of the cost , I've heard that there is another new Indian place there which is also good

I know last year this place was run by a German....so about says it all

Indian food is of course very vast with an abundance of very different REGIONAL variations. UK style chicken tikka masala isn't Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi; its British.

Too bad it sounds like the chef who has doing good curries at the Rompho place is apparently gone. I would be happy to try out any place with supposedly good curries.

Edited by Jingthing

JT is not on his high horse and I take offense or offence of your liberal use of calling people Yanks.

You use it in a very racist way.

Talk about curries and kebabs without all of the UK attitude against other opinions.

You disturb the thread with such blatant hatred. Dont call other posters Ignorant.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by IAMSOBAD

BTW, as I suspected, what passes for "Indian" in the UK is nothing of the kind. Check out Gordon Ramsey's new show series (Gordon's Great Escape) where he hilariously learns the truth about UK Indian compared to real Indian in India.

UK style curries = Silly. Tex-Mex... Perfectly acceptable. New York style pizzas.... Perfectly acceptable. Chicago style pizzas.... Perfectly acceptable.

No doubt it would also be hilarious watching a celebrity US chef going to Italy and learning the truth about real pizzas in Italy.

If you watch Vir Sanghvi's show on tracing the origins of tandoori chicken and arriving at the conclusion that it probably originated in Afghanistan does it make it hilarious for someone to admit to preferring the taste of tandoori chicken cooked Indian style? In the same episode, there is an older Indian lady chef who I believe held some claims to the UK recipe of chicken tikka masala (although there is probably no need to mention it is the "UK recipe" because I believe it is fairly well established that it is a UK dish - yes, a batardisation of a dish using Indian spices, possibly the butter chicken that you mentioned earlier) and her recipe included the use of Campbell's condensed tomato soup. Is it such a culinary crime for someone to prefer the taste of one dish over another based purely on the authenticity (or lack of) of the ingredients used?

Why get so caught up in "authenticity"? If you are going to be such a pedant then yes, if you want "authentic" Indian food, go to India. If you want "authentic" pizza go to Italy. If you want "authentic" Chinese food go to China.... We get it pal... But while we're on the subject of authenticity, perhaps you could inform us how much time either the owner or any of the chef's at your much extolled favourite Mexican restaurant have spent any time in Mexico, or, for that matter, how many of their chefs have Mexican passports....? In the event of the answer being zero, please do us all a favour and take a look around you and enlighten us all as to how your colon looks from up there...

The OP asked for info on a UK Indian curry (hilarious!!!) and info on kebabs. For the curries I would highly recommend a little place on Soi Siam Country Club opposite SP Village 5. I think the owner may actually be Pakistani (Shock, Horror!!!) but he does a very good job of making a curry like u would find in a UK curry house (snigger snigger...). He's pretty much a one man band and if he's busy it can take a while for him to finish your order. He does deliveries but i don't have his number.

For the doner kebabs, someone is doing very nice doner kebabs and sells the meat to places like the Punch & Judy, Nick the Pizza and no doubt several others. Maybe try the kebabs from one of these establishments and if you like it I am sure it would not be too hard to find where it originates.

• Like 2

Indian food is of course very vast with an abundance of very different REGIONAL variations. UK style chicken tikka masala isn't Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi; its British.

Too bad it sounds like the chef who has doing good curries at the Rompho place is apparently gone. I would be happy to try out any place with supposedly good curries.

No way Sherlock!!! UK style chicken tikka masala Isn't Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi???? Someone call the authenticity police please. And while they're here please ask them to shut down that NY Pizza place on 3rd Road.

English indian curries are just that, english indian curries, made by indians. They have changed their recipie to suit the tastes of the english people. No one is saying that the indian curries in the UK are better or the same as the indian curries in india. Its totally different as you very well know and that gordans great escape which was filmed ages ago and he has also done one in thailand even shows that one part of india do not even recognise another part of indias curries or style. If people like english style indian curries then thats up to them, it is a curry, it is indian just modified so that english people eat more of it. Doesnt mean it is not a curry or a good one at that.

And there are places all over the uk that do real indian dishes you just need to find them. Nottingham, blackburn, bradford and many more.

The Indian portion aired first in 2010, so when was it filmed, 1959? Geez!

I agree people like what they like and that is of course always cool.

What is not cool to me is UK people coming and being imperialistic about their eccentric, very limited concept of the vastness of Indian food. It would be like an American saying La Bocca's authentic Italian style pizza is crap because they don't have pepperoni or deep dish/stuffed pizza.

I like places that do LABEL what they are marketing for. There are some places in town promoting they sell "UK style curries" and my God are they awful! But at least they warn people. Yes I am not saying all UK style curries in the world are awful but what is presented as such in Pattaya seems to be.

I do reckon most UK people looking for UK style curries in Pattaya don't think what is offered as that locally is stellar either!

For example, I enjoy New York Pizza House well enough for American style pizza but it doesn't hold a candle to better examples of American style pizza in the U.S. Burritos? Nothing in town that wouldn't be pelted with tomatoes in California. (BTW, modern burritos are American food and Mexicans won't tell you different.)

Edited by Jingthing

What is not cool to me is UK people coming and being imperialistic about their eccentric, very limited concept of the vastness of Indian food. It would be like an American saying La Bocca's authentic Italian style pizza is crap because they don't have pepperoni or deep dish/stuffed pizza.

I like places that do LABEL what they are marketing for. There are some places in town promoting they sell "UK style curries" and my God are they awful! But at least they warn people. Yes I am not saying all UK style curries in the world are awful but what is presented as such in Pattaya seems to be.

I do reckon most UK people looking for UK style curries in Pattaya don't think what is offered as that locally is stellar either!

For example, I enjoy New York Pizza House well enough for American style pizza but it doesn't hold a candle to better examples of American style pizza in the U.S. Burritos? Nothing in town that wouldn't be pelted with tomatoes in California. (BTW, modern burritos are American food and Mexicans won't tell you different.)

Well I dont class the first season of his show that is 2 years old as "new".

Also I didnt say Hummus was greek, I said I was missing my greek food and dips........ Hummus is just one of them dips that is often served in greek places, there are also many greek style hummus dishes. Just because a dish doesnt originate from there doesnt mean you cant have greek style hummus or hummus sold in greeks therefore classed as greek food.

Its like saying if you sell a curry in a chinese it cant be chinese curry it has to be indian curry as curry originated from there.

The best Indian Tikka Masala I have had is in Chulia Street Penang, cooked by 4th or 5th generation Indians that were taken there as cheap labour....better than any food I had in India......it really depends on the individuals pallet but most I know prefer chicken breast in a deep red/brown thick sauce that is spicy, complimented by a clay oven cooked nan bread......on a side note, the curry in Penang tasted very much like food I had eaten in the UK..its a myth that curries were changed to suit the pallet of the English, as some ingredients were not available the chefs would use the next best substitute, not deliberatly to changed anything.......And if we start talking about Mexican food, after working there and eating the street food everyday, I can say that Mexican food I have tried anywhere else there just isnt a comparison.

The best Indian Tikka Masala I have had is in Chulia Street Penang, cooked by 4th or 5th generation Indians that were taken there as cheap labour....better than any food I had in India......it really depends on the individuals pallet but most I know prefer chicken breast in a deep red/brown thick sauce that is spicy, complimented by a clay oven cooked nan bread......on a side note, the curry in Penang tasted very much like food I had eaten in the UK..its a myth that curries were changed to suit the pallet of the English, as some ingredients were not available the chefs would use the next best substitute, not deliberatly to changed anything.......And if we start talking about Mexican food, after working there and eating the street food everyday, I can say that Mexican food I have tried anywhere else there just isnt a comparison.

Malaysia of course, a former BRITISH colony. whistling.gif

There actually IS Mexican food in some areas of the USA that is almost exactly like Mexican street food as served in Mexico. You have to know where to go. The modern burrito, the fat mother with rice, beans, lettuce, possible cheese and guac. -- no, that's American.

Edited by Jingthing

Also I didnt say Hummus was greek, I said I was missing my greek food and dips........ Hummus is just one of them dips that is often served in greek places, there are also many greek style hummus dishes. Just because a dish doesnt originate from there doesnt mean you cant have greek style hummus or hummus sold in greeks therefore classed as greek food.

Its like saying if you sell a curry in a chinese it cant be chinese curry it has to be indian curry as curry originated from there.

You're right there. The show was new to me but it isn't ancient in the sense the message isn't current or relevant.

Anyway, it's actually news to me that hummus although all agreed is not Greek, is often served in Greek restaurants. Maybe a UK thing. Obviously done for commercial reasons/consumer expectations, it doesn't mean hummus has become Greek food.

Not the same thing as Chinese curry. Chinese do have curry dishes and they are definitely Chinese food.

Edited by Jingthing

You're right there. The show was new to me but it isn't ancient in the sense the message isn't current or relevant.

Anyway, it's actually news to me that hummus although all agreed is not Greek, is often served in Greek restaurants. Maybe a UK thing. Obviously done for commercial reasons/consumer expectations, it doesn't mean hummus has become Greek food.

Not the same thing as Chinese curry. Chinese do have curry dishes and they are definitely Chinese food.

Maybe its a greek thing also as in greece they sell it there too.

No idea why they would make this look and sound so greek also:

athenos_hummus_garlic.jpg

I dont understand why you try to belittle everyone, you always try to find something wrong with someones post and take great pleasure telling them they are wrong. You do not know everything although I feel that deep inside you think that you do. You seem very anti british also reading from your posts that things done or changed in the UK means its wrong and doesnt taste good.

• Like 2

No, I am definitely smart enough to know that I don't know everything and I am open to be corrected as well. Also, I admire lots that is British. Such as the t.v. show Skins and Evelyn Waugh novels. But facts are facts -- hummus is NOT Greek food! Also, what I don't admire is British people thinking they have the last word on Indian food. Indians do and I admire Gordon Ramsey (still British) whether you disown him or not, for his frankness in saying the exact same thing.

Hummus is NOT a traditional Greek dish - It derives from Cyprus and Middle East. Please regard as a tourist dish.
http://en.wikibooks....:Hummus_(Greek)

BTW, Athenos is not a Greek company. It is part of the multinational Kraft Foods empire.

Edited by Jingthing

No, I am definitely smart enough to know that I don't know everything and I am open to be corrected as well. Also, I admire lots that is British. Such as the t.v. show Skins and Evelyn Waugh novels. But facts are facts -- hummus is NOT Greek food! Also, what I don't admire is British people thinking they have the last word on Indian food. Indians do and I admire Gordon Ramsey whether you disown him or not, for his frankness in saying the exact same thing.

Try telling a Greek Cypriot (part of the Levant) that Hummus is not Greek food & see what he has to say. Hummus has it's origins in Lebanon I believe & is eaten by all sorts of people.

As a part of the curriculim I was taught how to make British curry when I served my London City & Guilds chefs apprentiship in 1970s New Zealand ; curry sauce was made with a roux,curry powder, tomato paste,pineapple & sultanans etc.Another interesting dish we were taught how to make was Kedgeree; curried smoked fish with rice & hard boiled eggs (supposed to be haddock but we had to use snapper in N.Z.)

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/kedgeree

OMG. I love sushi and that doesn't make me Japanese, mate!

That British curry roux sounds about as Indian Subcontinent as lox and bagels. bah.gif

Curry powder? Are you having a laugh?

Edited by Jingthing

OMG. I love sushi and that doesn't make me Japanese, mate!

That British curry roux sounds about as Indian Subcontinent as lox and bagels. bah.gif

Curry powder? Are you having a laugh?

I love Hummus but I'm not a Levantine.

Roux not used at all in traditional Indian cooking (starch reduction)

These days if you served British curry the way I was taught only those into 70s retro type food would appreciate it. Chicken in the basket anybody ?

Go and do your homework on Cyprus first.

Not anywhere did I say that the picture I posted was greek, I simply said they have tried to make it as greek as possible, why?

Have you been to greece? I have been a good few times and each and every time I have been in a restaurant they have had hummus.

And I dont think anywhere does any brit think they have the right to have the last word on indian food. However with Britain being multicultural and our most popular food being indian I think we are a lot more clued up about indian food than most other countries. Just because its not what you have eaten in india doesnt mean it is not indian food.

As for Ramsay, I love the guy, I have every single minute of all his programs here on my computer from boiling point to masterchef as well as a good few of his books and I am impatiently waiting for his new show Hotel Hell to come out next month as well as new seasons of masterchef and hells kitchen.

The hummus you see in Greece, as said before ... is to satisfy touristic demands.

Yes, I've been to Greece. Went to places locals went. Didn't see hummus. Sorry.

I'm not questioning that you can get hummus in Greece. Of course you can, just as I'm sure you can get pad krapow in West Virginia. That doesn't make hummus Greek anymore than it makes pad krapow Hillbilly cuisine.

I believe you when you say hummus is popular in Cyprus. That still doesn't make it a Greek origin food. It is OBVIOUSLY originated in the Arabic world.

Edited by Jingthing

The hummus you see in Greece, as said before ... is to satisfy touristic demands.

Yes, I've been to Greece. Went to places locals went. Didn't see hummus. Sorry.

I'm not questioning that you can get hummus in Greece. Of course you can, just as I'm sure you can get pad krapow in West Virginia. That doesn't make hummus Greek anymore than it makes pad krapow Hillbilly cuisine.

I believe you when you say hummus is popular in Cyprus. That still doesn't make it a Greek origin food. It is OBVIOUSLY originated in the Arabic world.

And obviously no one yet again said it originated in greece. There you go again, you just state a fact to please yourself that no one has even said. In greece I went to places locals ate also, they had hummus so I am doubting that you even noticed it on the menus. Just because something originated somewhere doesnt mean it cannot become a local dish elsewhere. I am sure kebabs started off somewhere but there are local style kebabs all over the world, same with curries and many other things. You are trying to tell me that hummus is not a local food in greece, you are dead wrong. You are also trying to tell me that you cant get greek hummus, once again you are WRONG. No one ever said in this thread that Hummus originated from greece, only you when you tried to make yourself look clever by pointing out it originated somewhere else.

I surrender. Whatever. It doesn't matter. Hummus is Greek.rolleyes.gif Hummus is Greek.rolleyes.gif Hummus is Greek.rolleyes.gif

post-37101-0-74145800-1336498646_thumb.j

Next !!! ...

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/464713

Hummus is not Greek!

is never served in Greece unless it is peculiar to one of the islands.

http://wiki.answers....Is_hummus_Greek

Is Hummus Greek?

No.

http://greekfood.abo...ummustahini.htm

About Hummus and Greek Food: Hummus is a dish that originated in the Middle East, and is not usually found in Greece. Early Greek restaurateurs catering to local tastes outside Greece added hummus to the menu. Here on the site, there is just this one recipe, a tribute to many Greek restaurants around the world that include it on the menu.
Edited by Jingthing

JT there is great Indian style food in the UK. Terrible stuff too. Its already been pointed out to you that many of these chefs are from Bangladesh....and in my experience the best places are run by Pakistanis. Also some superb South Indian cuisine too.

Plenty of diversity as you would expect from any third generation immigrant community really. Polish food is a whole different ball game though. lmao...!

That's kind of the point. The mainstream "Indian" food in England is influenced from a small subset of the vastness of Indian subcontinent cuisine. The English also seem to have this bizarre poppadom fetish which is ever so amusing.

Edited by Jingthing