Marriage / Settlement / Sir Name

Ladies & Gents

A brief outline

I am a UK citizen marrying my Thai Fiancé on the 7th June holding a beach wedding in Phuket. I am fully aware of what is involved to make in legally binding regarding certificates, amphurs

My concern and question comes when applying for a settlement visa.

If my GF goes and has her TB & English test before we marry these will be in her Family name.

I believe once we marry then they give her name change documents to take to the Amphur she is registered at.

After we marry & whilst I am still in Thailand we plan on submitting a settlement visa application.

So therefor her

TB Certificate

English Test Certificate

Her Passport

Her ID card will all still be in her family name.

The wedding information / documents will legally bind is together.

What is my best way forward to cover this to ensure the embassy don't pull us up on this.

Thanks

Just send in the marriage certificate and a covering letter with the other documents. You are not the first to get married! The settlement application form requires previous names to be given anyway. Don't panic!

Congratulations and good luck.

She does not have change her surname after getting married, they ask you at the amphur if you want to change or not, we didn't, too much hassle in changing her passport and ID card.

My wife wanted to change her name to mine, if yours feels the same, then do it.

Changing the name on the ID card and the passport is no hassle at all. ID card, same day; passport, within 5 days.

If you can wait, she can then do the English test in her new name and the TB test is done just before you submit (ideally allow 3 days just in case they have to do sputum tests; or you can take the risk and do it the day before submission)

There is no compulsion under UK law for a wife to take her husband's surname on marriage. There is, therefore, no need as far as her visa application is concerned for her to change her ID card, passport etc. Your marriage certificate will provide the link; remember to have it translated into English (anecdotally not strictly necessary for a visa application, but you will almost certainly need a translation once in the UK and having it done in Thailand will be a lot cheaper).

Don't worry, many people have been in this situation without any problems from the visa section. My wife didn't get around to changing her Thai passport until she renewed it at the Thai embassy in London; by which time she not only had ILR, but also a British passport in her married name!