Thai Name Change After Marriage

Ladies & Gents advise please.

My question is once I return to the UK after getting married to my GF my then wife is going to do the running around necessary for the settlement visa.

For example

Passport name change, TB test & English test plus I believe she needs to go to her home town to change her name on her Blue book at the Amphur she is registered at.

I believe once she has all the official marriage papers she will need to go to the Amphur to change her name at her village so she has my sir name. this will be on her ID Card and in her blue book.

Then she will need to apply for a new passport so she will have my sir name.

Then once she has done this she will attend a TB test and English test to ensure the certificates are in her new sir name before we apply for the settlement visa.

Do you know how long these steps take.

Have I missed any key info.

And will she get her old passport back at it has her visa in it already for the UK which is where she is now.

Thanks People

You are correct.

The amphur where you get married will give you name change documents, take these along with the marriage certificate, iD card and family (blue) book to the Amphur in her home town.

This is the only amphur that can chang her name.

If you do not already have a birth certificate get it from the amphur while you are there.

All will need to be translated.

A new passport can be obtained from any passport office.

I think "raymp" read you post as if you were getting married in the UK. I assume you are getting married in Thailand...correct?

My wife changed the names on her documents in Chiang Mai.

Assuming your wife has all the documents required (this can vary from office to office so take multiple copies of all documents)

ID card - new one issued immediately

Blue Book - name amended and book stamped immediately

Passport - MoFA office send replacement by post which arrived within 5 days...old passport is returned when you pay at the MoFA office. They asked my wife if she wanted the old one back and stamped the page opposite the data page "cancelled". Be sure your wife asks for the old one back.

I know the TB test is done, and the certificate issued on the same day if the x-ray is OK. You make an appointment at the International Office for Migration, they make the hospital appointment and you collect the certificate from the IOM in the afternoon. If there are any doubts with the x-ray, they require 3 days sputum tests.

The English test...I don't know

"raymp" says that they will need to be translated...your marriage documents will need to be translated and authenticated by the MoFA for use in the UK but obviously not for use in Thailand.

The English test doesn't have to be in her new name. My wife did her English test before we married so her certs are in her family name. I simply drew attention to this in my sponsor letter to avoid any confusion.

I would get your gf to do the English test asap as its one thing she can tick off the list. No need to wait until after you marry