Thailand Says Car Bombs Reveal New Militant Tactics

webfact

Thailand says car bombs reveal new militant tactics

PHNOM PENH, April 4, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand said Wednesday its security services have to "work harder" after a triple car bomb attack demonstrated the increasing sophistication of militant tactics in the violence-plagued south.

"Right now it seems to us that it's more professional, the way they do it," Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said after the bombings Saturday killed 15 people and injured hundreds.

"The agencies that are taking care of the situation in the south should be more careful and work harder," he told reporters covering a summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in Cambodia.

But despite the latest carnage, Surapong rejected a suggestions the violence was escalating.

"We see that it's always like that in the south," he said.

Army chief General Prayut Chan-O-Cha said Monday the country was fighting against more than 3,000 Muslim militants waging a shadowy insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives since the violence flared in 2004.

The insurgents are not thought to be part of a global jihad movement but are instead rebelling against a long history of perceived discrimination against ethnic-Malay Muslims by successive Thai governments.

Struggling to quell the unrest, authorities have imposed emergency rule in the region, which rights campaigners say effectively gives the army legal immunity.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-04-04

Warnings of More Southern Unrest in April-May

BANGKOK: -- Deputy PM Yutthasak Sasiprapa warns of more southern insurgency in April-May due to an upcoming Organization of Islamic Conference meeting.

Meanwhile, the United Nations has condemned the bombings in southern Thailand.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-04

footer_n.gif

Isn't it quite strange that whereever you find "the religion of peace" (Islam), you are also likely to find war, hate and terror.

I think it is about time that the thai army takes their gloves off and fight fire with fire.

I also think that the muslims refusal to assimilate, as well as the insurgency, clearly shows that violence is the only language they will understand. To hell with them.

• Like 2

With this newest level of escallation, my biggest worry is that these terrorists (not insurgents) decide to take their terrorist acts north to Bangkok.

Songkran, lots of tourists. Easy targets.

I sincerely hope not, but I still worry, especially given the level of incompetence of Thai officials.

Southern unrest will not expand further

BANGKOK, 4 April 2012 (NNT)-Deputy Prime Minister for security affairs General Yuthasak Sasiprapa said he believes the unrest will not expand beyond the 4 provinces in the South while assuring that security units are taking a proactive approach towards solving the issue at hand.

General Yuthasak said the insurgents had targeted Lee Gardens Plaza Hotel in Hat Yai because it is in the tourist district of the South. The explosion would eventually draw attention from both local and international media.

He has instructed police officers to focus their investigation into the point why the hotel failed to detect the bombs even though a safety drill was held a month before.

The Deputy Prime Minister said in addition that preliminary reports showed the hotel had recently changed security teams, and that information on the prime suspects has been discovered. According to him, the criminals are still in the country and arrest warrants have already been issued for some of them.

He speculated that the bombs used in the incidents were assembled in Thailand although their components might have been brought in from overseas. He also said the explosion was not intended as suicide bombing.

Security levels in the four southern provinces have now been beefed up following the recent explosion in Hat Yai. Every vehicle will be inspected and frisked for any suspicious items. General Yuthasak denied the report which stated that Thai officials will hold talks with the BRN insurgent group.

For the solution guideline, he said, intelligence operation will be boosted in the first stage of a greater offensive suppression campaign.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-04-04 footer_n.gif

BANGKOK, 4 April 2012 (NNT)-Deputy Prime Minister for security affairs General Yuthasak Sasiprapa said he believes the unrest will not expand beyond the 4 provinces in the South while assuring that security units are taking a proactive approach towards solving the issue at hand.

General Yuthasak said the insurgents had targeted Lee Gardens Plaza Hotel in Hat Yai because it is in the tourist district of the South. The explosion would eventually draw attention from both local and international media.

He has instructed police officers to focus their investigation into the point why the hotel failed to detect the bombs even though a safety drill was held a month before.

The Deputy Prime Minister said in addition that preliminary reports showed the hotel had recently changed security teams, and that information on the prime suspects has been discovered. According to him, the criminals are still in the country and arrest warrants have already been issued for some of them.

He speculated that the bombs used in the incidents were assembled in Thailand although their components might have been brought in from overseas. He also said the explosion was not intended as suicide bombing.

Security levels in the four southern provinces have now been beefed up following the recent explosion in Hat Yai. Every vehicle will be inspected and frisked for any suspicious items. General Yuthasak denied the report which stated that Thai officials will hold talks with the BRN insurgent group.

For the solution guideline, he said, intelligence operation will be boosted in the first stage of a greater offensive suppression campaign.

nntlogo.jpg

"General Yuthasak Sasiprapa said he believes the unrest will not expand beyond the 4 provinces in the South"

I beleive he is wrong. The future will tell whom was right.

nntlogo.jpg

If the Deputy PM is saying things like this, then the people of Bangkok had better watch out!

The bombings will not extend to Bangkok, there is little support for the militants among Bangkok Muslims, the separatists don't have enough infrastructure support here.

As has been said, there are probably many groups operating independently, but a general goal is to frighten the Buddhists into leaving so the 3 Deep South provinces become 100 % Muslim.

nntlogo.jpg

How can you take these statements as serious when they come out with this?

"He has instructed police officers to focus their investigation into the point why the hotel failed to detect the bombs even though a safety drill was held a month before".

Safety drills every month don't do anything. Unless it is adopted as an everyday requirement, with no exceptions to the searches, then it is not worth doing. Once security lets one person pass through the system (because they have seen them before, was bought a drink from them, they just rent a house down the street, etc.) then it fails.

Unfortunately, this is human nature anywhere in the world. There is no such thing as 100% security!

I cannot comment on the security for hotels in the South, but in every hotel I have been in through work over the last few months (several), anything could be taken/driven into each and every one of them.

Security levels in the four southern provinces have now been beefed up following the recent explosion in Hat Yai. Every vehicle will be inspected and frisked for any suspicious items

nntlogo.jpg

This comment is a fracking joke. I've been to Tesco-Lotus and Big C in Hat Yai today, and the same shambolic security was in evidence. The security guards in the car park asked me to open my boot, but didn't looked at any of the bags or assorted crap I had stored there. Big C did have a security guard at the main entrance, but he was only stopping 1 person out of 5. There wasn't even a security guard at the Tesco-Lotus entrance, presumably he was on a som tam break. If the terrorists decide to hit another target in Hat Yai there's virtually nothing to stop them. A sobering though for those of us unfortunate enough to live here.

Security levels in the four southern provinces have now been beefed up following the recent explosion in Hat Yai. Every vehicle will be inspected and frisked for any suspicious items

nntlogo.jpg

This comment is a fracking joke. I've been to Tesco-Lotus and Big C in Hat Yai today, and the same shambolic security was in evidence. The security guards in the car park asked me to open my boot, but didn't looked at any of the bags or assorted crap I had stored there. Big C did have a security guard at the main entrance, but he was only stopping 1 person out of 5. There wasn't even a security guard at the Tesco-Lotus entrance, presumably he was on a som tam break. If the terrorists decide to hit another target in Hat Yai there's virtually nothing to stop them. A sobering though for those of us unfortunate enough to live here.

Maybe they are watching, but you don't know it. The door security etc. is for show. The real security involves beating the crap out of detainees and even torturing them in an effort to find out what's going on. It also involves listening in to communications.

nntlogo.jpg

Maybe they are watching, but you don't know it. The door security etc. is for show. The real security involves beating the crap out of detainees and even torturing them in an effort to find out what's going on. It also involves listening in to communications.

The real security are probably busy watching a soap or bonking a gik, recent situations would point to this being more likely.

nntlogo.jpg

I don't think those security guards will stop a parked car full of explosives. So far they have not gotten big enough that they can use the suicide bombers. Give them Time.

As for Bangkok remember the red shirts bombs in different locations where any one might get hurt.

It really dosen't take a big organization to wire a bomb to a car and park it.