Thailand's PACC Asks For British Help In Stamping Out 'Grey Market' Car Trade

webfact

Car has to be one year old, and you can't sell it for I think one year over here. It was originally designed as a perk for returning diplomats, which anyone can avail themselves of.

Importing Used/Secondhand Household Effects

Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, nonresidents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties.

Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects

NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this rebate

If that is the case I stand corrected, but I know of at least one person who has done this, with no duty.

In which case, this is a complete non-story, since the issue sits firmly and sqaurely with the Thai customs bureau, not the Brits.

Although read this, and tell me that this isnt' the most ridiculous system ever invented.

http://www.thaiconge...ask=view&id=140

Tax and Duty Assessment

An individual who imports vehicles for personal use, or a commercial importer, may be liable for payment of taxes and duties. The Customs value of the imported vehicles shall be determined on the basis of the CIF value (Cost & Insurance & Freight).

In cases where the imported vehicles the used/secondhand, the amount of taxes and duties collected will be reduced according to the age of the vehicle as outlined in the table below:

Edited by Thai at Heart

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Car has to be one year old, and you can't sell it for I think one year over here. It was originally designed as a perk for returning diplomats, which anyone can avail themselves of.

Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, nonresidents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties.

Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects

NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this rebate

If that is the case I stand corrected, but I know of at least one person who has done this, with no duty.

In which case, this is a complete non-story, since the issue sits firmly and sqaurely with the Thai customs bureau, not the Brits.

Although read this, and tell me that this isnt' the most ridiculous system ever invented.

Tax and Duty Assessment

An individual who imports vehicles for personal use, or a commercial importer, may be liable for payment of taxes and duties. The Customs value of the imported vehicles shall be determined on the basis of the CIF value (Cost & Insurance & Freight).

In cases where the imported vehicles the used/secondhand, the amount of taxes and duties collected will be reduced according to the age of the vehicle as outlined in the table below:

Well, obviously some returning Thais are able to bring a car back duty free. I suspect this is done by declaring it a household item and in with cooperation of both the Commerce Ministry and the customs officials.

No, I don’t consider Thailand vehicle importation rules or even the custom duties to be the most ridiculous. I think the distinction easily belongs to Singapore.

http://www.expatsingapore.com/content/view/1149

TH

Tax and Duty Assessment

Well, obviously some returning Thais are able to bring a car back duty free. I suspect this is done by declaring it a household item and in with cooperation of both the Commerce Ministry and the customs officials.

No, I don’t consider Thailand vehicle importation rules or even the custom duties to be the most ridiculous. I think the distinction easily belongs to Singapore.

http://www.expatsing...ntent/view/1149

TH

Did you read the calculation and the available discounts depending on how many months you have owned the car?

Did you read the calculation and the available discounts depending on how many months you have owned the car?

So you think taking in consideration the age of the vehicle or how long you have owned it when applying the custom duties is ridiculous?

Funny, I think both those factors make a lot of sense. It gives older, less valuable vehicles a discount and at the same time gives people that are importing their personal cars a discount while and disfavoring commercial importers.

TH

So you think taking in consideration the age of the vehicle or how long you have owned it when applying the custom duties is ridiculous?

Funny, I think both those factors make a lot of sense. It gives older, less valuable vehicles a discount and at the same time gives people that are importing their personal cars a discount while and disfavoring commercial importers.

TH

Can't paste the grid, it loses it's format. Note that it also talks about years of registration. Well of course that is a very very easy number for the customs officer to make up as he sees fit.

Reading this, if you buy a 9 year old ferrari that has no mileage on it, you get 70% off. Which would actually mean it is very feasible that on a 40k GBP 6 or 7 year old Bentley, the taxes may have been paid correctly.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I think Thailand ask for UK govt help is because UK Farang are in it. They take a cut in the false declaration form.

The "UK Farang" are in on it. So your accusing British Immigration and Customs of being in on the tax loophole? Put the whiskey down.

Here! Here!

I think Thailand ask for UK govt help is because UK Farang are in it. They take a cut in the false declaration form.

The "UK Farang" are in on it. So your accusing British Immigration and Customs of being in on the tax loophole? Put the whiskey down.

Here! Here!

Where? Where?

Just been reading the Thai Import Duty tarriffs, very interesting. Import a helicopter -- 5% duty on value. Ambulance and fire engines -- 0% duty. TANKS AND ARMOURED CARS WITH OR WITHOUT GUNS -- 0%. I know what I'm going to get, a Scorpion tank would go down well on the tollways of Bangkok