Where To Buy Real Meat?

Cheesekraft

Where can one find real meat? AKA free range, grass fed meats, beef in particular. (real meat is extremely healthy, especially compared to the freak meats that are the standard).

Only source I see is the exhoribtantly priced australian import beef at 700+ baht/kilo.

Thanks!

Northern Farms is grain fed. Doesn't matter so much if you are getting lean cuts. Pon Yang Kham Butchery (grain fed as well) is another choice, more pricey but tastier.

For certified grass fed (but most likely grain finished) you have to get imported.

you won't get a really tender steak in Thailand under Bt1000 baht a kilo. But the French Butcher in Hua Hin does sometime have some special offers. He had some at some at Bt495. It was very good but nothing compares with a nice fillet mignon very rare. with sauce bernaise.

Coming from Australia originally I can safely say that 700baht for imported Aussie beef is a good deal. It can easily cost more than 700baht in Aussie dollars for quality cuts back home.

It certainly can! I wish I could have gotten some of this stuff for $21 per kg!!

are austrialian beef grass fed, free from hormone pills or what so ever?

To be certified organic, yes.

I was under the impression that free range fed was a tougher meat to chew all though less fatty.

Organic, free-range, feedlot or "freaky" - it really all depends on the cut. A good rib-eye will be juicy and flavoursome thanks to its generous marbling; whereas a sirloin will have less marbling, and be somewhat less tender.

most beef exported from Australia is live exported Triodia fed brahman from the north.

But not all. There are a large number of non-live exports.

most beef exported from Australia is live exported Triodia fed brahman from the north.

true, though it "mostly" answers the queries on the source of Australian beef in SE-Asia. (Imported/Exported) Australian beef by nature is mostly free-range grass-fed organic whatever beef.

true, though it "mostly" answers the queries on the source of Australian beef in SE-Asia. (Imported/Exported) Australian beef by nature is mostly free-range grass-fed organic whatever beef.

Yes, but none of it is exported to Thailand (that's not to say that live exports to Malaysia don't make their way up here...)

On the Canal Road, a few 100 m south of the Phucome Hotel,same side, is a restaurant and retail seller of good Oz prime beef. For the life of me I cant remember the exact name but something like Thai /French. They will cut to your specifications but dont expect it to be under 700 baht a kilo.If you havent been to Aus for a while I would suggest the prices of beef and lamb would give you quite a scare.Lamb cutlets last time we went back for example were 1170 baht a kilo,I believe quite a few restaurants buy from this outlet.

at 700/kg, that's a bargain. I find that grass fed tend to have a rougher texture and the flavour is different than the grain fed beef.

I seriously doubt that you can find free range beef here, if you managed it, it could be really tough. But then again, you might find something nice, can never be too sure of this.

I would go so far as to say most of the local beef is grass fed. You see how scrawny the cows here are as they are herded down the sides of the road munching on what little grass/etc is available. It also explains the toughness and slightly different taste from what we are used to.

You are more likely to run into growth hormones and the like by choosing the imported stuff.

700 baht/kg is not really that bad. Imported beef from the USA into Japan usually starts at about 600 baht/kg and goes up to about 1,742 baht/kg.

BTW - Some domestic beef (Wagyu) here goes for 6,840 /baht kg, but typically beef starts at about 1,000 baht/kg.

Imported Aussie beef is sold here also but I cannot remember the prices.

you won't get a really tender steak in Thailand under Bt1000 baht a kilo. But the French Butcher in Hua Hin does sometime have some special offers. He had some at some at Bt495. It was very good but nothing compares with a nice fillet mignon very rare. with sauce bernaise.

You obviously haven't tried Northern farm or Rim Ping for that matter. You need to get out more.

I second the Northern Farm suggestions.

They grow Charolais breed cattle.

Grain fed, nice marbling but not excessive.

Prices have gone up in the last year- rib eye used to be about 480 B/kilo; now 600ish.

Lots of local restos (mostly Thai owned) source their beef here.

The farang restos usually go with Horeca or Buonissimo for the imported stuff.

Give it a try- you might be pleasantly surprised.

beef being grain fed destroys the health of the animal (much like grains do to people) and the grain fed beef is no longer healthy, the difference is pretty amazing . Would love to find a local grass fed source.

Edited by Cheesekraft

beef being grain fed destroys the health of the animal (much like grains do to people) and the grain fed beef is no longer healthy, the difference is pretty amazing . Would love to find a local grass fed source.

Grains destroy the health of people?? 4:29am - I assume you were drunk when you wrote that tripe? As far as I have always believed grains provide a number of important nutrients, including dietary fiber, B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate) and minerals (iron, magnesium and selenium). And, as part of a healthy diet, whole grains can help with cardiovascular disease, diabetes and weight management.

Do you have any verifiable, non-nutjob, sources for your claim?

• Like 1

Its pretty off topic and its more important that it destroys the healthful parts of the meat, but its full of anti nutrients and the "benefits" are dramatically overstated, and the insulin spiking, obesity causing foods like breads which are devoid of nutrition but have become a staple replacing real foods like meat and veggies. We don't need grains, we suffer for having them. If you want more information on it keep an open mind and do some research. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/#axzz1roLduPxC

Search for some of the effects on gut health when consuming grains, or read good calories, bad calories. one of the best researched books ever on the subject.

As far as grass vs grain fed beef:

http://www.americangrassfedbeef.com/grass-fed-natural-beef.asp

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/why-grass-fed-meat-is-healthier-than-grain-fed-an-epic-series/

I should add a little something about my post re: Northern Farm, and their Charolais breed cattle.

I said "grain fed" but I assumed everyone knows that no "grain fed" cattle are fed solely grain. Except perhaps speciality beef such as Wagyu or Kobe.

They graze on grass; only when being finished for meat production are they fed grain to fatten and increase the marbling in the meat.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but thought it worth a mention.

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I have been having a difficult time finding meet that I can chew. I'm not sure why, but the Thai beef feels like you are eating camel. I have tried a lot of different types of meet here since coming to Chiang Mai and and am usually not excited about it. The only place I have found that has a good steak in town is over at the Dukes.