Thai Chicken Back On EU Import List

webfact

So you are telling us that the chicken don't get any diseases, right? Because if one get sick you need to give antibiotics to all.

how many big is the place you hold the chicken? Maybe you have a photo?

(I wanted to quote "monkeypants" but it doesn't work)

No the reason to administer antibiotics is to prevent disease, otherwise if one got sick it could possibly infect the whole flock.

I have photo's , but lets put it this way, a Thai chicken farm has typically 10/12 birds per M2, at culling date, where as in Europe 20 birds per M2 is the norm. We have about 1500m2 90m x 17 m

the pictures in TV shown a few years ago suggested much more than 20 per m2, but possible the mixed pictures for egg production and pictures for meat production. (the meat production chicken where in small cages)

It was their job to give the chickens steriod shots. Twelve hour shift six days a week. He said they would stop with the shots about 20 days before they were slaughtered in order for the steriods to be undetected. Also he said there would be as high as 10,000 chickens per night die for various reasons.

That is a practice that I have never heard of, nor doe's it make any sense, and incidentally mortality rates are typically around 2% per flock, which would suggest that you relatives were looking after 20 million chickens, sorry but they are telling porkies.

Edit: the number of quotes thing again!

You could be correct and probably are about the number of chickens dying nightly as we all know Thais like to exaggerate numbers. But as for their job responsibilities of giving shots each night and the street vendors part I believe as there is no reason for them to falsify this. And my uncle-in-law will still not eat chicken when he goes to Bangkok.

Edited by pimay11
  • Like 1

Typically, chicken reared for meat (broilers), are not reared in cages, but chicken for egg production (battery chicken ) are.

Perhaps you have your wires crossed, which is very understandable, with all the misinformation that has been circulated over the last few years.

I am not saying that cages aren't used for broilers, but I have never seen one personally , but they do exist.

But as for their job responsibilities of giving shots each night and the street vendors part I believe as there is no reason for them to falsify this.

If they were looking after a lot of chickens they would doing so on behalf of one of the major exporters, these exporters cannot afford to inject the flock with steroid, the chicken themselves are a strain biologically manufactured to grow very big, very quickly, therefore steroid supplements are simply not required, and is IMO a total myth,but regarding the disposal of dead carcasses, they should be burned or buried, which ours are,, but It would not surprise me if some staff, instead of proper dispossal, decided to sell them and make a few baht, and in a really large operation , I can see how some could slip through the back door

Regards

Edited by Monkeypants

Last time I ate seafood (prawn, shrimps, squid fish etc.) in France and Germany I asked for the origin.

Vietnam, Bangladash, Kampuchea and ..... Burma (in France) was the answer.

I suppose seafood from Thailand is prohibited in Europe.

Last time my mother bought prawns in Croatia they were "Made in Thailand"

Croatia is not member of the EU.

Last time I ate seafood (prawn, shrimps, squid fish etc.) in France and Germany I asked for the origin.

Vietnam, Bangladash, Kampuchea and ..... Burma (in France) was the answer.

I suppose seafood from Thailand is prohibited in Europe.

Last time my mother bought prawns in Croatia they were "Made in Thailand"

Croatia is not member of the EU.

Yes I know, I just wanted to point out that even a country which has large beaches imports Thai prawns....

It was their job to give the chickens steriod shots. Twelve hour shift six days a week. He said they would stop with the shots about 20 days before they were slaughtered in order for the steriods to be undetected. Also he said there would be as high as 10,000 chickens per night die for various reasons.

That is a practice that I have never heard of, nor doe's it make any sense, and incidentally mortality rates are typically around 2% per flock, which would suggest that you relatives were looking after 20 million chickens, sorry but they are telling porkies.

You could be correct and probably are about the number of chickens dying nightly as we all know Thais like to exaggerate numbers. But as for their job responsibilities of giving shots each night and the street vendors part I believe as there is no reason for them to falsify this. And my uncle-in-law will still not eat chicken when he goes to Bangkok.

Well the 10.000 could be the maximum that ever happened...like 5 years ago...

Well the 10.000 could be the maximum that ever happened...like 5 years ago...

Sorry guys and gals I should have pointed out in my first post that this happened six years ago. They told me this after they had returned to the village.

Typically, chicken reared for meat (broilers), are not reared in cages, but chicken for egg production (battery chicken ) are.

Perhaps you have your wires crossed, which is very understandable, with all the misinformation that has been circulated over the last few years.

I am not saying that cages aren't used for broilers, but I have never seen one personally , but they do exist.

But as for their job responsibilities of giving shots each night and the street vendors part I believe as there is no reason for them to falsify this.

If they were looking after a lot of chickens they would doing so on behalf of one of the major exporters, these exporters cannot afford to inject the flock with steroid, the chicken themselves are a strain biologically manufactured to grow very big, very quickly, therefore steroid supplements are simply not required, and is IMO a total myth,but regarding the disposal of dead carcasses, they should be burned or buried, which ours are,, but It would not surprise me if some staff, instead of proper dispossal, decided to sell them and make a few baht, and in a really large operation , I can see how some could slip through the back door

Regards

Well you don't know how much was lost in translation.

Like after the (one time incident) of 10.000 dead chicken, they injected the rest with something (antibiotics, samonellastatica (spelling), etc etc) to prevent that all die........

Easy to believe that they sell the dead one as croc food cheaply. Just the croc farmer aren't croc farmers.

Like the left over sausage from previous day in Austrian supermarkets which is sold as "dog-food" isn't ending in a dogs stomach......would be anyway to salty.

Picture of the place for chicken would be still interesting.

Like after the (one time incident) of 10.000 dead chicken, they injected the rest with something (antibiotics, samonellastatica (spelling), etc etc) to prevent that all die........

5 years ago could have been one of the last outbursts of bird flu, which would explain the one time incident,

regards