Gas, Oil Prices To Hike Power Rates Soon: Thailand

webfact

UPWARD TREND

Gas, oil prices to hike power rates soon

Watcharapong Thongrung

The Nation

30179409-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Consumers will soon have to pay 30 satang per unit more for electricity after the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) responds to increases in fuel tariff (Ft) costs.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand had pointed out that the Ft cost from May to August could increase to more than Bt20 billion.

Egat governor Sutat Patamasiriwat said yesterday that the increased Ft cost was due to rising prices of natural gas and crude oil. In particular, the price of natural gas, which is the main component of the Ft, will increase from Bt260 to Bt280 per million British thermal units from January to April. The cost will likely increase further to Bt300 from May to August and yet again to Bt320 from September to December. These price estimates are based on the assumption that the price will not be lower than Bt260 per million Btu.

The cost of electricity is based mainly on natural-gas and oil prices. The latter is being driven up by several global factors. The growing economies of China and India have increased demand, as has Japan's recent policy of reducing utilisation of nuclear power. On the supply side, the tense situation in the Persian Gulf, which could lead to closure of the Strait of Hormuz, could add US$35 or more to the present price of about $120 per barrel.

Sutat said Egat had to absorb an Ft cost of Bt8 billion in the January-to-April period after the ERC ordered a freeze on electricity fees. It is predicted that Egat will have to shoulder an even higher cost of Bt20 billion from May to August.

"We have to borrow to absorb the rising Ft cost," said Sutat, adding that all concerned agencies should educate the public on rising energy costs, which have gone beyond even the ability of the government's Oil Fund to handle.

As natural gas accounts for as much as 70 per cent of the Kingdom's electricity generation, an energy-security problem could arise in the future if trading partners stop exporting gas.

Sutat also commented on the open bid to purchase electricity from major independent power producers.

He said a balance should be maintained between Egat and IPP production. Such a strategy would ensure the country's energy security as well as creating competition in the market.

"If Egat has too little capacity, it will affect the country's ability to manage electricity during a crisis," Sutat said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-05

Thialand could release some of its oil reserves to help ease the situation and shield the PRICE RISES from the general public, where again it will hit the poorest hardest starting at the forecourt of your nearest petrol station. I am assuming that this headline is preparation fo the public for another petrol price rise. It looks likely to me that as the current govt took power last july/august time that forecourt prices will likely have gone up by 1/3rd year on year, no doubt the "official" inflation rate will be below 3% so thats alright then. The govt will get more VAT reciepts and that 300 bts a day looks a hollow promise right now, even if you know someone who has recieved it, lots in the economy will just dream of it.

I think this is good for the dollar. From what I understand, rising fuel cost will be passed on to the supply chain making products more expensive. Most products will see an increase in price. This is called inflation. Inflation in Thailand that rises relative to inflation in the United States will put downward pressure on the Thai baht causing the dollar to appreciate. I think...wai.gif

I think this is good for the dollar. From what I understand, rising fuel cost will be passed on to the supply chain making products more expensive. Most products will see an increase in price. This is called inflation. Inflation in Thailand that rises relative to inflation in the United States will put downward pressure on the Thai baht causing the dollar to appreciate. I think...wai.gif

The Thai Baht is so strong now, it could buy anything.

UK largest steel mill, Indonesian coal mine, Cannadian oil sand, Arab oil, etc.

No problem at all.

what does thailand have in large supply most of the year ?

free sun in abundance

so i cannot understand why they do not invest in solar parks to generate electricity

or maybe another dam, that could also help the flood control

????

free sun in abundance

so i cannot understand why they do not invest in solar parks to generate electricity

????

I find it ironic that northern countries with limited sunshine invest the most in solar energy systems, whilst countries like Thailand with abundant sunshine ignore its use.

• Like 1

The Thai Baht is so strong now, it could buy anything.

UK largest steel mill, Indonesian coal mine, Cannadian oil sand, Arab oil, etc.

No problem at all.

i assume that both of you are contestants for this year's Nobel prize in macroeconomics, right? huh.png

free sun in abundance

????

or perhaps some girlie bars to attract male tourists?

free sun in abundance

????

Maybe they don't bribe enough?

free sun in abundance

????

or perhaps some girlie bars to attract male tourists?

yes some more girlie bars and make a law that every arriving male tourist must bring 1 liter gasoline to the immigration.

Thailand could export gasoline....

free sun in abundance

????

I've wondered about that too. Maybe Thailand's science guru, Professor Plodprasop, could enlighten us?

free sun in abundance

????

To be fair, I believe they have already started:

Thailand’s Solar Power Co Ltd is building 34, 6 MW solar farms in north-eastern Thailand using around 1 million Kyocera solar modules totalling 204 MW.

The solar farm project is being planned, constructed and managed by Solar Power Co, and the power will be supplied to the Provincial Electricity Authority of Thailand (PEA).

http://www.solarpower.co.th/product_service/our_project.php

* That said, I would still like to see solar power options more readily available for home owners. I can't get any sense out of anyone locally about converting our house to solar.

(I know, I know : TiT)

free sun in abundance

????

I find it ironic that northern countries with limited sunshine invest the most in solar energy systems, whilst countries like Thailand with abundant sunshine ignore its use.

I find it more ironic that people keep posting stuff they know nothing about and don't bother do any research.

TH

Thailand plans to Rev up Solar Power

By Boris Sullivan - Fri, Dec 23rd, 2011

Lopburi solar power plant, one of the world’s largest solar photovoltaic PV projects, on Thursday started commercial operation with capacity of 73 megawatts in the central province of Lopburi, about 150km north of Bangkok.

It will help the country reduce carbon dioxide CO2 emissions by over 1.3 million tonnes throughout the 25-year project period and cut fuel imports by over 35,000 tonnes per year, said Sahust Pratuknukul, board of directors chairman of the Natural Energy Development NED, who is also president of the Electricity Generating Public Company Limited EGCO.

solarplanmonks.jpg

The Asian Development Bank granted a long-term loan of US$70 million some Bt2 billion for construction of the Lopburi solar power plant.

NED Managing Director Woramol Khamkanist said that the Lopburi Solar project began in July 2010 taking 18 months from beginning construction to initiation of commercial operations today.

Second phase development to expand capacity to 84 megawatts will be completed in June, while an on-site learning centre is being built on 760 square metres as a knowledge transfer site on natural energy and sustainable energy use.

Thai Solar Energy investing US$447 million over five years to develop 135MW of solar projects

• Thai-200x150.jpg
    Thai Solar Energy's 5MW project in the Huaykrachao district is set to beginning producing energy next month. Image: Thai Solar Energy

Bloomberg is reporting that Thai Solar Energy is planning to invest nearly US$447 million in the development of 135MW of solar projects, using direct-steam generation, over the next five years. The company’s first plant, a 5MW installation in the Huaykrachao district of Thailand’s Kanchanabuir province, is set to commence operation in December.

The company advised that over the next two years it plans to increase its total capacity to 35MW and develop 11 more projects within a three to five year period. Thai Solar secured US$95.78 million from Thai banks to fund the first stage of its solar expansion and stated to Bloomberg that it is in talks with potential partners for further projects.

Solar-thermal energy “is definitely a big challenge for a newcomer as much as it is an opportunity,” stated CFO of Thai Solar Prapharat Tangkawattana. Costs will fall as the company adds capacity, while Thailand’s government also provides subsidies to solar power developers to promote investment in alternative energy, she said.

Prapharat noted that Solarlite had provided the parabolic mirrors for the 5MW plant, with Man Diesel & Turbo SE supplying the turbines and Schott furnishing the receiver tubes. The company’s second plant, a 9MW array in Dermbang Nangbuad district, is anticipated to begin supplying electricity by the end of 2012.

"I find it more ironic that people keep posting stuff they know nothing about and don't bother do any research.

TH"

Sure big deal, I have been involved in alternative energy research since before you were born. I am not talking about the industrial level, I'm talking at the domestic level, both photo voltaic and domestic hot water systems. You forgot to mention that some supermarket companies in Thailand are converting to solar energy. Nonetheless even at a national level Thailand is doing far less than say the UK. Tell me how many companies in Thailand manufacture and install domestic solar hot water systems, then compare with the UK. How many houses have photo voltaic systems linked to the national grid with a buy sell agreement on electricity (Feed in tariffs).

Extending the discussion, what efforts are the Thais making on biogas, wind power, wave power, tidal power, basically zero instead they plan a nuclear reactor.

In Thailand 84 MW in the future, compare that to 1000 MW in England, at the present. 22 Gigawatts by the end of the decade.

coffee1.gifI think it is you who needs to do some research.

"I find it more ironic that people keep posting stuff they know nothing about and don't bother do any research.

TH"

Sure big deal, I have been involved in alternative energy research since before you were born. I am not talking about the industrial level, I'm talking at the domestic level, both photo voltaic and domestic hot water systems. You forgot to mention that some supermarket companies in Thailand are converting to solar energy. Nonetheless even at a national level Thailand is doing far less than say the UK. Tell me how many companies in Thailand manufacture and install domestic solar hot water systems, then compare with the UK. How many houses have photo voltaic systems linked to the national grid with a buy sell agreement on electricity (Feed in tariffs).

Extending the discussion, what efforts are the Thais making on biogas, wind power, wave power, tidal power, basically zero instead they plan a nuclear reactor.

In Thailand 84 MW in the future, compare that to 1000 MW in England, at the present. 22 Gigawatts by the end of the decade.

I think it is you who needs to do some research.

You said “whilst countries like Thailand with abundant sunshine ignore its use. “ I was pointing out they are not “ignoring” it. I will readily admit that Thailand is not at the stage of development that some western countries are at. But that is not what you said.

And now you have brought up biomass. Do you know anything about the biomass industry in Thailand? Do you know it is the second largest source of energy in Thailand? It is very big business in Thailand.

As far as wind power, though again way behind many western countries, Thailand is developing a 200 Megawatt wind power station in Korat. There is already an operating plant in Pakchong.

So, though they are behind many western countries, it does not appear Thailand is “ignoring” renewable energy, wouldn’t you agree?

Note, I would be very careful about throwing personal insults that include reference to doing something “before you were born” without any knowledge of the person you are insulting. I seriously doubt you were involved in renewable energy in the early 50’s. hit-the-fan.gif

TH

• Like 1

TH"

You said “whilst countries like Thailand with abundant sunshine ignore its use. “ I was pointing out they are not “ignoring” it. I will readily admit that Thailand is not at the stage of development that some western countries are at. But that is not what you said.

And now you have brought up biomass. Do you know anything about the biomass industry in Thailand? Do you know it is the second largest source of energy in Thailand? It is very big business in Thailand.

As far as wind power, though again way behind many western countries, Thailand is developing a 200 Megawatt wind power station in Korat. There is already an operating plant in Pakchong.

So, though they are behind many western countries, it does not appear Thailand is “ignoring” renewable energy, wouldn’t you agree?

Note, I would be very careful about throwing personal insults that include reference to doing something “before you were born” without any knowledge of the person you are insulting. I seriously doubt you were involved in renewable energy in the early 50’s. hit-the-fan.gif

TH

From what I hear, solar is at an all time low price, any odds someone will give a tax break to help the country put a couple of panels on every roof in the country? It would probably be rife with corruption, but no less than the tablets, and would probably be enormously beneficial in the long run.

TH"

TH

From what I hear, solar is at an all time low price, any odds someone will give a tax break to help the country put a couple of panels on every roof in the country? It would probably be rife with corruption, but no less than the tablets, and would probably be enormously beneficial in the long run.

It wouldn't benefit power companys,giving free power to households,so wont happen.Australia has already been down that road.Government tax breaks pulled and power price still goes up to pay shareholders and company fat cats,sound familiar.

TH"

TH

My insult was no more than a reaction to, " keep posting stuff they know nothing about and don't bother do any research. " which I think is equally insulting, wouldn't you agree?

Putting that aside in the 50's at the age of 16 I built a battery charger powered by the rectified signal from the BBC long wave Droitwich signal (Why let it go to waste :) ). In the 60's I built a Savonius windmill from a cut up oil drum and a starter motor. I am more interested in domestic kilowatt generation rather than industrial megawatts or gigawatts. Any centralised power source faces distribution costs and resistive power losses, so they can never provide free energy to the home.

Incidentally, when you talk about biomass, do you mean combustion, fermentation or distillation.

TH"

TH

My insult was no more than a reaction to, " keep posting stuff they know nothing about and don't bother do any research. " which I think is equally insulting, wouldn't you agree?

Putting that aside in the 50's at the age of 16 I built a battery charger powered by the rectified signal from the BBC long wave Droitwich signal (Why let it go to waste smile.png ). In the 60's I built a Savonius windmill from a cut up oil drum and a starter motor. I am more interested in domestic kilowatt generation rather than industrial megawatts or gigawatts. Any centralised power source faces distribution costs and resistive power losses, so they can never provide free energy to the home.

Incidentally, when you talk about biomass, do you mean combustion, fermentation or distillation.

Ah, avoiding the issue of your statement "ignoring" by the straw man by showing off your technical knowledge. I was not attacking your technical knowledge, I was attacking your lack of knowledge of the industry in Thailand and the incorrect assumption you made that it was non-existent.

“when you talk about biomass, do you mean combustion, fermentation or distillation”

Since you are the expert, maybe you should be telling me about Thailand biomass industry instead of showing your ignorance by asking me?

Why can’t you just admit your statement was wrong and was based on a incorrect assumption that from why you have seen, there is no renewable energy business in Thailand. Seems you should be happy to find out the industry is alive and growing rather then angry and bitter that somebody pointed out something good about Thailand.

TH

TH"

TH

Putting that aside in the 50's at the age of 16 I built a battery charger powered by the rectified signal from the BBC long wave Droitwich signal (Why let it go to waste smile.png ). In the 60's I built a Savonius windmill from a cut up oil drum and a starter motor. I am more interested in domestic kilowatt generation rather than industrial megawatts or gigawatts. Any centralised power source faces distribution costs and resistive power losses, so they can never provide free energy to the home.

Ah, avoiding the issue of your statement "ignoring" by the straw man by showing off your technical knowledge. I was not attacking your technical knowledge, I was attacking your lack of knowledge of the industry in Thailand and the incorrect assumption you made that it was non-existent.

“when you talk about biomass, do you mean combustion, fermentation or distillation”

Since you are the expert, maybe you should be telling me about Thailand biomass industry instead of showing your ignorance by asking me?

Why can’t you just admit your statement was wrong and was based on a incorrect assumption that from why you have seen, there is no renewable energy business in Thailand. Seems you should be happy to find out the industry is alive and growing rather then angry and bitter that somebody pointed out something good about Thailand.

TH

Oh, why are so many people here so volatile? If you want me say my statement was wrong, then fine, I don't suffer from false pride. However, as you agreed it was an error of degree, Thailand is substantially behind many European countries. I thought I made it clear that I am interested in domestic renewable energy, for example if you drive around in Malaysia you will see many solar water heaters on houses, I have seen none here.

as to biomass, this link tells me all I wanted to know, http://www.aist-riss.jp/old/lca/ci/activity/project/biomass/report/041028_paper/thailand_paper.pdf

I'm not sure what I am apparently ignoring, perhaps you could clarify that point. On second thoughts, don't bother. I find it a shame that so many people prefer a verbal cat fight to an in structive discussion.

I see fuel prices went up 40 satang a litre today, did not waste much time with the nod did they.

Should be doing solar power, just keep the monkeys with their dismantling habits away from the site!

Whether there is a solar hot water service on the roof is immaterial to most thais. THey do not bathe in hot water. In fact the installation of such would almost certainly involve a net energy loss.

• Like 1

free sun in abundance

????

Thailand has several solar farms

Thialand could release some of its oil reserves to help ease the situation and shield the PRICE RISES from the general public, where again it will hit the poorest hardest starting at the forecourt of your nearest petrol station. I am assuming that this headline is preparation fo the public for another petrol price rise. It looks likely to me that as the current govt took power last july/august time that forecourt prices will likely have gone up by 1/3rd year on year, no doubt the "official" inflation rate will be below 3% so thats alright then. The govt will get more VAT reciepts and that 300 bts a day looks a hollow promise right now, even if you know someone who has recieved it, lots in the economy will just dream of it.

They only implemented the 300 Baht policy in 7 provinces. I wonder if those province had the majority of their workers making less than 300 baht a day. No question about it there is defiantly a lot of people there not making the 300 Baht a day but I would be wiling to bet that if you listed all the provinces by percent they would be the 7 with the least amount making under 300 Baht a day.

And why was it not implemented in the provinces where the majority is defiantly not making 300 baht a day. In fact most are not even making 200 Baht a day.

Wait until and if they implement it in every province. Can you imagine the number of people loosing there job's at just the 7 11's plus all the other small business. They talk about help for foreign investors but P-ss on there own people.

Everyone pays basicly the same for Oil

Oil has gone down around $104 a barral

yet our price is almost double of America's

So nearly 50% is tax or profit by the government or oil companies

Lets explore the logic of your statements...if everyone pays basically the same for oil and the Thai price is almost double that of America...then the 50% talked about has to be tax imposed by the goverment...

On this site you can view the detailed composition of the fuel price updated every day. Don't talk rubbish like 50% tax if you don't know.

Ju5e7.png

Interesting things to note:

Ethanol went down from being nearly twice as expensive as petrol at the refinery level to being roughly same price.

There is a huge difference in markups. While the retailer markup for 91 unleaded is under 2 Baht, its 12 Baht for E85, the final price of which is still only half of the price of 91.

Whatever happened to 91 being cheaper than gasohol when they scrapped the oil fund contribution for non-ethanol gasoline (7 Baht I think) I don't know. When they did it a couple of months ago 91RON was 42 and gasohol 35 Baht. The next day they were both the same price. Now 91 is back to 42 Baht and gasohol is still 5 Baht cheaper though it contains only 10% ethanol.