Elderly woman lands plane after husband pilot dies in mid-air

News_Editor

Elderly woman lands plane after husband pilot dies in mid-air

2012-04-05 16:33:10 GMT+7 (ICT)

STURGEON BAY, WISCONSIN (BNO NEWS) -- An 80-year-old woman with no flying experience took the controls of a small airplane after her pilot husband died during the flight, officials in Wisconsin said on Wednesday. She suffered minor injuries during the crash-landing.

The incident began just before 5 p.m. local time on Monday when 81-year-old John Collins and 80-year-old Helen Collins were flying from Marco Island in Florida to Sturgeon Bay in Wisconsin, where the couple is from. They had earlier landed in Rome, Georgia, to refuel the aircraft.

John had not been feeling well since Thursday last week but refused to let his pilot son James fly him home. "James is a pilot and wanted to fly John and Helen back to Door County since he knew John was not feeling well," officer Darron Smith wrote in a deputy report. "John told James he did not want him flying him and Helen back and would not let him go."

The couple left Florida at around 9 a.m. local time on Monday and landed in Rome, Georgia to refuel before beginning a direct flight to Door County in Wisconsin. But during the last portion of the flight to Sturgeon Bay, John unbuckled his seat belt before collapsing and becoming unconscious.

"A female was reporting that her husband, the pilot of the aircraft, was having some sort of medical emergency and was unresponsive in the aircraft," officer Scott Walker wrote in his deputy report. "The female was not a pilot and was now flying the aircraft."

About 5 to 6 miles (8 to 9 kilometers) south of Sturgeon Bay and at an altitude of approximately 2,300 feet (701 meters), Helen quickly took the controls of the white twin-engine Cessna 414A. Emergency services responded to both Cherryland Airport in Door County and Austin Straubel Airport in Brown County, where an emergency landing could also be facilitated if necessary.

"Reporting officer spoke via phone with [Cherryland Airport Manager] Keith Kasbohm and directed him to contact any local pilots he could think of to respond to the airport as it was likely they would be needed to assist Helen in an effort to land the plane," Walker wrote in his report. Kasbohm asked licensed pilots Robert and Catherine Vuksanovic to respond immediately.

"Hi Cathy. A hell of a place to be," Helen said as Catherine, who is also an inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), arrived at Cherryland Airport. "I know. But it sounds like you are doing great," Catherine responded, according to a recording of radio traffic.

Meanwhile, Catherine's husband, Robert, took off in a Beechcraft Bonanza to advise Helen during the emergency landing. "Robert got in the air and was flying just off Helen's wing and was consulting her via radio," Walker said. "The two aircraft did several fly-by type maneuvers as practice runs."

But as Helen and Robert were preparing for the emergency landing, more than an hour after John collapsed, the Cessna 414A was quickly running out of fuel. "You better get me in pretty soon, I don't know how long I'm going to have gas," Helen said before the landing.

About 10 minutes later, at approximately 6:05 p.m. local time, as Helen was about to land, the aircraft began experiencing problems due to the lack of fuel. "I'm running out of gas. My right engine is out," Helen told Robert, who advised her to increase power to the left engine instead.

But despite having only one engine left, Helen managed to land the aircraft relatively safely. "The airplane touched down roughly on the north south runway," Walker said. "The plane bounced back into the air before impacting the ground nose first and skidding across a grassy area and coming to rest on its nose, facing a northeasterly direction."

"Great job, Helen. Great job!" Robert told her via radio after the aircraft came to a halt.

Both Helen and John were rushed to Ministry Door County Medical Center, where John was officially pronounced dead at 6.38 p.m. local time. "[Medical Examiner] Marion Moreno told reporting officer [that] John's death was not a result of the airplane incident and his medical condition occurred prior to the airplane landing," Smith said. Helen suffered minor injuries during the landing.

"She did a great job," Robert said during a press conference on Wednesday, according to the Wausau Daily Herald newspaper. "There was no fire. She knew you have to keep the nose up. That was enough to keep her alive. This was more than a successful landing."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-05

Moreso dealing with her mental thoughts rather well with her now dead husband next to her....while flying a plane.....and an engine failure....and an emergency landing........she should be given a licence for free.

Moreso dealing with her mental thoughts rather well with her now dead husband next to her....while flying a plane.....and an engine failure....and an emergency landing........she should be given a licence for free.

The husbands licence should have been revoked 20 years ago...

• Like 1

The husbands licence should have been revoked 20 years ago...

To hold a PPL (Private Pilot's License) you are required to obtain a medical certificate from a FAA approved aviation medical examiner. Over the age of 40, the certificate is valid for 2 years. This is for 3rd class medical, 2nd class medical is 1 year for commercial license bearer. Air carrier pilots require a more rigid exam and every 12 months. There are quite a few news reports of commercial pilots having fatal heart attacks in their mid 40's. Also, 20 years ago he would be 60 and most air carrier pilots mandatory retirement is 65.

Indeed a remarkable job done by the lady under extreme circumstances.

Indeed the strength of will and mind of the lady to land the airiplane with one engine, no experience and to know that her husband was seriously ill is an inspiration. Makes some of my problems seem not so bad after all.

Indeed the strength of will and mind of the lady to land the airiplane with one engine, no experience and to know that her husband was seriously ill is an inspiration. Makes some of my problems seem not so bad after all.

I believe that she had flown with her husband many times, and that he had taught her many things. That's not saying that it was an easy task, but the outcome would have been different had this been her first time at the controls.

80 years old and still aloud to fly,now come on !

what is wrong with that if they pass all the requirements.

Agreed the requirements for keeping your license current are quite stringent

Edited by flying

I believe that she had flown with her husband many times, and that he had taught her many things. That's not saying that it was an easy task, but the outcome would have been different had this been her first time at the controls.

True but watching someone drive a car and then doing it yourself are two entirely different things, same with landing a plane. Add in to that the stress of knowing her husband was ill and perhaps dying. Amazing lady.

• Like 2

True but watching someone drive a car and then doing it yourself are two entirely different things, same with landing a plane. Add in to that the stress of knowing her husband was ill and perhaps dying. Amazing lady.

True, she is extraordinary, that's why she made headlines. Flying is not too difficult, landing is - so I have been told. But she knew how to use the radio and follow the instructions. I would think that some of the instructions she got would have been lost to anybody who isn't familiar with the terms, and that would include me.

The dying or apparently already dead husband on the other seat would have most people freak out. She kept her calm. Hat's off, a strong lady.

Flying is not too difficult, landing is - so I have been told.

True to some degree in level flight but...The other impressive thing here is one engine was out.

That changes a lot of things.

She had to increase engine power to the good engine at which point the plane is basically skidding across the sky in a skewed fashion.

In aviation terms the Yaw axis. The wing with the good engine getting ahead of the one with no power. She had to compensate with her rudder.

Then to descend she had to reduce power at some point add flaps etc...drop landing gear because that plane has retractable gear etc etc

Many things happened between her husband dying & her maneuvering that plane back to the ground.

Each time she changed one thing it caused reactions

Add to all of that she probably knew she had lost her husband at that point.

Very amazing indeed!

Amazing mental,physical & emotional strength

Edited by flying

True to some degree in level flight but...The other impressive thing here is one engine was out.

She had to increase engine power to the good engine at which point the plane is basically skidding across the sky in a skewed fashion.

Yes, level flight in calm air is pretty easy. Being a pilot, but single engine only, I would be pressed with handling an engine failure in a twin. Normally, one would also have to feather the dead prop to help reduce yaw/drag on that side.

Yes, level flight in calm air is pretty easy. Being a pilot, but single engine only, I would be pressed with handling an engine failure in a twin. Normally, one would also have to feather the dead prop to help reduce yaw/drag on that side.

Exactly...she definitely had her hands full

In aviation terms the Yaw axis. The wing with the good engine getting ahead of the one with no power. She had to compensate with her rudder.

Then to descend she had to reduce power at some point add flaps etc...drop landing gear because that plane has retractable gear etc etc

Many things happened between her husband dying & her maneuvering that plane back to the ground.

Each time she changed one thing it caused reactions

Add to all of that she probably knew she had lost her husband at that point.

Very amazing indeed!

Amazing mental,physical & emotional strength

Wow, nothing is as easy as it looks. When I grow up, I want to make my pilot's licence.

How do you know if there is a pilot at the party ??

he will tell you !!