External Hard Drive

cardholder

I am looking to buy my first external hard drive.

Apart from backing up a few files I want to store films that I can then hook up to my TV.

I have always seen Western Digital getting strong recommendations - does anyone have any recent personal experience of buying one and what price should I expect to pay.

Thank you

If you're going to travel with it, there are some nice LaCie rugged hard drives:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=LaCie+Rugged+XL+1TB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14253910796016587650&sa=X&ei=401-T8GjEYWg8QS63-CODg&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAQ

Or, you can build a SATA SSD in a USB to SATA can which won't be as susceptible to shock damage. 240 GB seems to be about the sweet spot for drives that size right now.

Of course, all hard drives are a bit more expensive due to the flood.

Just wondered do you have any old hard drives?

something I bought about a year ago from a Village PC shop is called 'All in one HDD Docking' plugs into a USB..

it was about 900 baht, holds 2 hard drives IEE or Sata just slide in + has card reader and 3 USB ports... so easy if you have a few old hard drives as just slide in or out........, before I had 2 cases cost a little less but have to unscrew them to change hard drives a right pain as I have 7 old internal hard drives spare.....

Says it also takes laptop hard drive size as well...

For laptops I have a USB3 1TB hard drive [works with USB but not as fast], now over 1 year old very small and good Seagate problem is there about 1,000 baht more now then a year ago..

Picture

post-42643-0-44797900-1333679581_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

Just bought a 1Tb WD USD drive a couple of days ago from BananaIT for 3990 baht. There was a thread on here a week or two ago about WD releasing a 2Tb USB Drive so not sure if this will have an effect on price of 1Tb drives when they hit the shelves.

• Like 1

I have good experience with WD Passport 1 TB

First failed after 1 year but I could read out everything and the sent me a new one.

The second was flattened by an idiot Taxi driver, so the housing is not too strong.

I bought one about 4 months ago and very happy with it. Compact but not sure how strong as h90 suggests. I also have an older 500GB and that is now 4 years old but still going strong.

They come with password locking and back up software which you can choose to use or not but which I find very useful.

Depending where you are anything from 3,600 upwards so best to check around. There are cheaper Acer models about but I have no experience of them.