Gas Mileage Cbr250R?

TylerBKK

I am wondering what type of gas mileage some of the other CBR250R owners get from a full tank of gas?

I feel like I used to get close to 350KM out of a full tank. Now I feel like I barely get 200KM out of a tank anymore.

I had reset the ECU a while ago and ever since then I felt like my gas mileage dropped considerably, which should be the cause ordinarily.

I don't have any fuel controller on the bike or anything. Only a slip on exhaust, but no others mods.

I think the bike holds about 13 liters. That means I'm getting less than 20KM per liter.

Seems low for a small bike like this.

• Like 1

At the moment Bangkok. Just to be sure I am right in my calculations I filled up last night and set the trip meter to 0. I will ride until the gas gauge is down to the very bottom and light is flashing to fill up again and will see what I got exactly. I will report back again in a week or two once my tank is empty again. I don't ride that much and that often so it will take a while to use up the gas, but I think my estimation is already pretty close.

Do factor in that there will be a few liters in the tank when the gauge starts flashing :)

Should be easy to work out how much you have in the tank once you note down how much it takes to fill it back up

Good point. I am also wondering if my gauge is as accurate as before. Last night it would only take 350 Baht at the same point on the gas gauge where it seems it used to take 400 Baht. So maybe it's showing a lower reading for the same amount of gas in the tank as it did before. Who knows. Mysterious ways. :)

I changed the exhaust. Most people reset the ECU after changing the exhaust. It shouldn't double gas consumption. Many people reset the ECU and have never mentioned greater gas consumption. A Bazazz fuel controller however would double gas consumption.

Im pretty sure my gas consumption got worse when i got a tsukigi can on the er6n

not 100% worse but it sure seemed to drink a lot of gas

maybe i revved it more cause i liked the new sound while cruising around ,who knows ? :)

I changed the exhaust. Most people reset the ECU after changing the exhaust. It shouldn't double gas consumption. Many people reset the ECU and have never mentioned greater gas consumption. A Bazazz fuel controller however would double gas consumption.

"A Bazazz fuel controller however would double gas consumption."

Utter nonsense...

Utter nonsense...

There is a thread on the CBR250.net forum where a guy explained that after putting the fuel controller on his CBR250R that gas mileage fell to half. I also spoke personally to the rep for Bazazz in California. He told me the same. Not nonsense.

I get about 320km from a tank that takes about 400 baht for a fill up and that's riding pretty hard as its only used for fun.

That is what I think it should be. Is your bike fully stock or have you modified anything for performance?

I get about 320km from a tank that takes about 400 baht for a fill up and that's riding pretty hard as its only used for fun.

That is what I think it should be. Is your bike fully stock or have you modified anything for performance?

Fully stock, looking for a supplier of aftermarket exhausts in pattaya though if anyone knows of any.

Utter nonsense...

There is a thread on the CBR250.net forum where a guy explained that after putting the fuel controller on his CBR250R that gas mileage fell to half. I also spoke personally to the rep for Bazazz in California. He told me the same. Not nonsense.

I think the guy on the 'CBR250 site' found a new reason to give his CBR250 some beans, explaining his 'fall off' i fuel.

Under the same riding conditions and with such a lightly tuned engine, there shouldn't be such a huge difference in fuel consumption. The whole point of fitting these fuel controllers is to make the combustion as complete (efficient) as possible across the whole rev range, with given mods, without running lean.

Chucking in twice as much fuel would result in the bike bogging down, feeling sluggish and causing bore wash from the huge amount of unburned fuel, fuel consumption shouldn't be 50% of what it used to be, if it is then such people should also be complaining about how poorly their bike performs. New toys usually provoke us all in to riding the bike harder until the novelty of such toys have worn off.

Also a poorly set up fuel controller would require more throttle to sustain speeds previously reached with the standard ECU and under hard acceleration the bike would also drink fuel without retuning any increase in power

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually now gone through a completely full tank of gas. The low fuel level light just started flashing, which means I have just about 2 liters left from a total full tank of 13 liters. My trip odometer shows I've gone 235KM. That is on 11 liters of petrol since I still have about 2 liters left. So that is about 21KM per liter that I am averaging or about 275KM total from a full tank. That was all city driving and I do get on the throttle quite hard most of the time since I always drive late at night when roads are empty. I guess considering how and where I drive, and the exhaust pipe change I made, then that's probably about right. If it was highway driving maybe I would have gotten another 30-50KM out of the full tank.

Utter nonsense...

A magazine vid report reported going from in the '70s, down to mid-50s' after installing the Bazzaz..

mpg.

It was a rave review for the product though.

Edited by strollling

I just did a refill until the petrol was brimming to the top and I only managed to get 9.84 liters in there. That means i had just over 3 liters left. Since the fuel gauge is supposed to start flashing only when fuel drops below 2.5 liters that means the gauge isn't really do accurate. But based on the odometer when I filled up, and how much petrol I put back in, I estimated that I am getting about 24km per liter.

24kmpl sounds about right if riding it hard.

I don't really pay attention but think that light riding (probably not going above 6000rpm - which I guess still gives you lots of torque on this bike, I rarely go above 6000rpm if the missus is on the back) - gets about 30-32kmpl.

Otherwise nailing it pretty hard gets you around the 25kmpl mark.

That's just from the 2 or 3 times I've paid attention to it.

That's good info Strolling. I pretty much ride in the 7,000-9,000+ range most of the time, unless I'm forced to slow down. I rarely have anyone on the back and the power band on that bike doesn't really kick in until you hit 7,000 anyway. I guess there is my answer on my gas mileage. .