Marriage Visa

Hi,

My name is Scott from Australia and I am in need of some help, I married my Thai wife in January, I am looking to live in Thailand later in the year, more than likely after July (the new laws), I know that I have to get a Non - Immigrant Visa from Thai Embassy in Australia for 90 Days and I know the cost, all of that is ok.

My confusion is, when I get to Bangkok and go to immigration and apply for a one year marriage (dependant) visa what is the cost of that application in Thai Baht and how much is the cost to re-new the application each year? Also how much do I need in my Thai bank account? Is it 400,000 Bht, 800,000 bht? Do I need to show how much is coming in each month? If so how much?

My concern is the annual cost and original cost of the application as no one can seem to tell me, if the 400,000 bht is the initial amount in my account and I leave it there and have money come in every month in the next year do i have to put in another 400,000 bht or as long as at least that amount is still there am I ok as long as they don't change the laws?

I really appreciate if any one can help me so I can plan for my future, also for this visa is a medical required, I would have no issues just wondering, also my age is 37 so I am not applying for a Retirement Visa in case you were wondering.

Lokk forward hopefuly for some replies, thanks.

Scott. :o

My impression from renewing my one-year 'support Thai wife' visa via Nong Khai (who don't take the decision, but see that the application is in order and then send it off, presumably to Bangkok) is that it is an 'either/or' thing.

Either you start with the year with 400,000 in the bank, or you can show that you have 40,000 monthly income and that you have been bringing that in over the past year.

One official has been reported as saying that it wouldn't do if the 400,000 went out of the account very quickly. (Presumably he foresaw us poverty-stricken farangs raking up a pot of 400,000 and passing it round to the next one who had to go and renew and so on----a bit like when I had a little farm in Wales, where 10 farmers in the valley only had one decent set of Landrover tyres between them, and each Landrover going in for its annual test turned up on that same set of tyres!).

The cost is 1900 baht.

If I were you, I would go and see (or write to) a Thai consulate in Australia. Put a post on this forum asking who has found which to be most helpful. Writing is probably best, as you can later show (i.e tactfully let it be seen) in Bangkok that you were open and above board from the word go.

Somebody in another thread has said that the higher officials on the upper floors at Bangkok can be appealed to, quite successfully, if necessary. In general, with goverment officials, I have found that the higher the official you can get to see the more sympathy you are likely to get, provided you show yourself as a decent, polite person, apologetic about having to ask to take some of her/his time. And not moaning, or belligerent, about the bloody-mindedness of the lower-level staff. S/He will appreciate that you are letting her/his department save face.

It can be damned hard not to show exasperation with the bureaucracy to bureaucrats, but it is vital to manage it. Otherwise you won't get them warming to you and wanting to help you. Sweet reasonableness works wonders, but (to mix metaphors) anyone on their high horse is dead in the water.

Just be open and seen to be trying to get everything sorted out properly. Yours is a straightforward, no-nonsense application (unlike some farangs!) so just be calm and pleasant and all should go well.

Ajax;

I am in Sydney today and will be for about a week or so. Apart from a work requirement, the main reason I am here is because my Passport is going to expire soon.

I am married to a Thai National, and I went ot the consulate yesterday and providing I can produce a new Passport, then they seem quite relaxed about the "O" visa.

You must have your Marraige Certificate, and a copy of your wife's ID Card at a minimum.

I will tell you on Monday how I went, and give you an update. :o

I know that I have to get a Non - Immigrant Visa from Thai Embassy in Australia for 90 Days

You can get that at any Consulate and you could also receive a multi entry type valid for unlimited travel for a year at a slightly higher cost. If you plan much travel this might be something to consider as you would not have to have any bank account or do 90 day reporting that will be required with that visa extension.

For a visa extension it seems the bank/income requirements will be 400k so I suspect many would accept 200k in account and proven income to make up the rest but that we will find out later. The money is designed to prove you can support wife during the period of visa extension. You can use it but should keep at the required amount until after extension granted. And of course they don't like to see (here today-gone tomorrow) and will be checking bank book at each extension. Also if you do not have employment/work permit the money should show that it comes from abroad (such as wire transfers). You will be asked about income for paperwork. As said application each year will be 1,900 baht and if you plan any travel outside Thailand you will need re-entry permit (multi type believe is 3,800 now).