Thai Hybrids What Are They?

fanta rood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ii dont have any kid 4 now.. being a mixed TH-CH ..its ok for me

i proud to be whatever i am .

its sort of advantage .. i can join both communities.

and if i had luk krung farang -TH(+CH) i would teach him/her .. just proud with it ..even he/she has no pure blood ...just be happy with whatver he/she is.. in the name of human

i will teach he/she to have confident as farang , but still have TH (asian)manner..respect senior people

he/she may be ashame when he/she is young ..coz he/she must look different from pure blood

other can make joke with ..but its life...i will make up him/her mind

Edited by BambinA

Ah hybrids, halflings, 1/2 thais, demi thais, half thais. ok I made a mistake I didnt knew it had a bad meaning. I got called hybrid myself so I thought it was just another word no offense

I'm 1/2 thai 1/2 dutch. Foreigner in Thailand ofcourse. Netherland: in higher society not dutch not thai just an individual, in lower society foreign.

IN netherland there is way more discrimination here towards mostly muslims and those who have a colour cause they are seen as criminals. It happend twice that an employement agency asked me for a parttime job, I had to come over to fill some forms and then they say they would call me but they never did. But I dont know if thats a racial thing. It made me think twice when I talked to a muslim guy and read some articles in the newspaper. You think its racial? Ofcourse you cannot know but what do you think?

hy·brid Pronunciation (hbrd)

n.

1. Genetics The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races.

a. Something of mixed origin or composition.

b. Something, such as a computer or power plant, having two kinds of components that produce the same or similar results.

3. A word whose elements are derived from different languages.

Fanta, it is just such a clinical way to describe our children, very impersonal.

Whilst you are correct, it is not a very nice way to describe a mixed race person. A plant maybe, or a dog. But not a person :o

:o

If you have a kid whos 1/2 thai 1/2 anything but asian. What is she/he? What will she be considered by people in both of her countries? How do you feel that way? How do you feel if she is not accepted?

and if i had luk krung farang -TH(+CH)  i would  teach him/her .. just proud with it ..even he/she has no pure blood ...

Hybrids , pure blood ???? :D

I know there wasn't any kind of racism ( at least i hope ) , but these words are not a good choice... :D

No offence :D

I'm a "hybrid". :o Half Thai-Chinese and half English.

I look much more farang than Thai and most of the time I am taken for a westerner, whether i am in Thailand or the UK. However, every now and then when i first meet someone, they will give me a long look and ask where i'm from. I think people have difficulty placing where i'm from. I've been mistaken for German, Hawaiian and Japanese before.

I have had no problem being accepted as western. I spent most of my time studying in the UK, so i feel more English than Thai. I have a strong English accent that i guess helps with being accepted as English.

However, since i have moved back to Thailand, I have made a big effort to try to be more Thai. I have tried to be accepted by my Thai friends and the people i meet as a Thai, which is difficult because even though i speak perfect Thai, i don't look Thai very Thai. After a year, i feel i am having quite good success with the people i know. I don't think i am treated too differently from anyone else. However, i don't think i will ever be accepted as 100% Thai but I don't think i will lose any sleep over this.

For those that like to talk about being "pure blood", i was once told by an anthropology professor that i "had it made", after i told him that i was half Thai-Chinese, half English.

I'm a "hybrid".  :o  Half Thai-Chinese and half English.

I look much more farang than Thai and most of the time I am taken for a westerner, whether i am in Thailand or the UK. However, every now and then when i first meet someone, they will give me a long look and ask where i'm from. I think people have difficulty placing where i'm from. I've been mistaken for German, Hawaiian and Japanese before.

I have had no problem being accepted as western. I spent most of my time studying in the UK, so i feel more English than Thai. I have a strong English accent that i guess helps with being accepted as English.

However, since i have moved back to Thailand, I have made a big effort to try to be more Thai. I have tried to be accepted by my Thai friends and the people i meet as a Thai, which is difficult because even though i speak perfect Thai, i don't look Thai very Thai. After a year, i feel i am having quite good success with the people i know. I don't think i am treated too differently from anyone else. However, i don't think i will ever be accepted as 100% Thai but I don't think i will lose any sleep over this.

For those that like to talk about being "pure blood", i was once told by an anthropology professor that i "had it made", after i told him that i was half Thai-Chinese, half English.

I am British and my wife Thai ,we have 2 kids - the girl who thinks and functions mostly in English, and dreams in English , speaks excellent Thai and looks Thai dislikes aircon ,the cold and prefers Thai food with a strong rice bias , my son who looks Farang with a darker skin tone loves the cold ( the aircon electricity bills prove that and from a very early age sleeps in a freezer of a bedroom , he speaks mostly Thai and appears to think and dream in Thai certainly he talks Thai in his sleep , but he loves bread potatoes and a more western bias to food taste .

This occurred naturally with similar parental input for both kids

They both have their own identity and have no hang ups they see them selves as people in their own right ...like me I am always reluctant to give my self a label be it national or religeous because it is other people make the judgements based on the preconceived ideas the label leads to .

I am who I am and people that matter make the judgements on what I do.

I / we have lived in many countries and cultures and have always been accepted with out problems. We celebrate the differences between people and take strength from us being a close family composed of different people/ individuals .

My son is always introduced a being made in America of Thai and British parts and born in Bangladesh ,(with a British and Thai passport) raised for the last few years in Thailand . We visit and take part in Buddist ceremonies , Thai Catholic ceremonies , and in the past I have frequently visited the Mosque .

What is a hybrid ? we are all hybrids coming from a very small genetic stock our diffences are ethnic ...cultural differences .

I believe that the United Kingdom in general ( after years of conflict in the past ) we celebrate the differences between a Cornish man and a Scotsman and have healthy humour and competition but will pull together as a consolidated group when the chips are down !!!

It's really a question to ask those who are Eurasians. Parents of Eurasians are in no real position to classify their children but simply observe the mixed lifestyle that comes with being brought up in a 2 culture household.

Similarly myself I can't answer the question with any accuracy but if I was to guess, a Thai Eurasian brought up in Thai society is more likely to feel Thai, a Thai Eurasian brought up in an expat society in Thailand can feel either - or really confused - and a Thai Eurasian brought up in Western society will feel more Western. Whether people in either societies agree with them is a different kettle of fish and has caused many Eurasians anguish! For example, Morris K and Joey from Bazoo.. can you imagine what these guys went through at school... they just look black, not half anything.

I agree with Skylar. It is how we define ourselves that matters.

I've met many Eurasians like myself. In general, those who have been brought up and educated exclusively in Thailand seem to be more Thai and I would guess feel more Thai in themselves. I've also met Eurasians brought up and educated exclusively in the UK as well as other European countries, and they appear very European in manner and outlook. Again i would guess that they feel more western/European in themselves.

But of course i am only guessing.

However, i also think that how you view yourself is greatly influenced by how you are perceived by those around you, especially when you are young.

For those kids brought up in Thailand, a lot will depend on their appearance, whether they are able to pass for Thai or not. Outward appearance is very important in Thailand, so even if a kid who is very obviously mixed, or even very farang-looking, was brought up as a Thai, i doubt they could ever feel like they are Thai. They would be constantly reminded by those around them, either directly or indirectly, that they were not. At best they would always be "luk krueng".

If they look pretty much Thai, and i have met a few of these, then they have a much better chance of being accepted as Thai. Consequently they may grow up to view themselves as Thai. This appears to be the case with those i have come across.

If you look very farang, like me, then you have very little chance of being accepted as Thai. I actually have to keep insisting that i am not a farang, especially when they try to charge me farang prices :o .

I speak Thai and try to act as Thai as I can when i'm in Thailand because i find it helps to ingratiate myself to people around me. But I don't feel very Thai, and i'm not bothered that i am not viewed by others as a Thai. Being treated as a foreigner in my own country used to bother me when i was younger, but i have learnt that the advantages of being in my position far outweigh the disadvantages.

Apologies for rambling on.

Ok people lighten up, It seems like the people who have the biggest problem with the terms here aren’t actually mixed themselves. I'm a hybrid and I love the term. My mom is whiter than Mortisha Adams and my dad is a huge black Mandingo looking man with skin like the night sky. So That gives me the best of two worlds and hybrid is a cool term hel_l my best friend who is also mixed name his webs site "muttstudios.com" because we would always joke with each other about how we're really Mutts and that most Americans are Mutts to of one sort or another.

As for my children I can't wait to see what they will look like, My lady is a Thai hybrid already, her mother is mixed Chinese and Pakistani and her dad full Thai she's tall thick and kinda whiteish with full curves and the most gorgeous almond eyes. I bet she'll pop me out a beefy lil tiger woods looking boy or a cinnamon colored long haired Beyonce. But what ever our kids look like I know that they will be the envy of their single strained peers :o

Ah hybrids, halflings, 1/2 thais, demi thais, half thais. ok I made a mistake I didnt knew it had a bad meaning. I got called hybrid myself so I thought it was just another word no offense

I'm 1/2 thai 1/2 dutch. Foreigner in Thailand ofcourse. Netherland: in higher society not dutch not thai just an individual, in lower society foreign.

IN netherland there is way more discrimination here towards mostly muslims and those who have a colour cause they are seen as criminals. It happend twice that an employement agency asked me for a parttime job, I had to come over to fill some forms and then they say they would call me but they never did. But I dont know if thats a racial thing. It made me think twice when I talked to a muslim guy and read some articles in the newspaper. You think its racial? Ofcourse you cannot know but what do you think?

Well Fanta I am half Dutch half Indonesian, what we call an Indo, I have never met any racism in NL unless from drunk idiots or people that thought they felt better (in any way) to me only to find out they held the short end...

I do not think you were denied because of your race I mean, look in the mirror and what do you see??? probably a mostly European face , little tan and some asian features......nope, I think you were denied for other reasons, I mean if they do not call you than you are really not on the shortlist...

Muslims are really mistreated everywhere and also in the Netherlands as in many other country but basically by idiots that think Al Queida is an islam/muslim guideline. You know the few bad mess it up for the majority good.. same for the coloured in NL

In my opinion you have a really black and white vision on most matters you are posting on and it probably is because of your youth, you really, really should read back your posts a couple of times before you submit them, just an advice

Oh and one other quick word on racial identification. I think while terms like hybrid, mixed, mutt, afroasian, euroasian...ect ect ect are great for describing ones PHYISICAL charecterisitics it needs to be up to the individual in question to determine his or her own CULTURAL affiliation. Like sure biologicaly I'm a American Mutt (I love saying that) However, culturaly I'm Black (love saying that too).

Hey A question for Tom Yum and mixed white/Thais do you feel more drawn to one culture or another or do ya feel kinda on the outside of both not really part of either one?

Hey A question for Tom Yum and mixed white/Thais do you feel more drawn to one culture or another or do ya feel kinda on the outside of both not really part of either one?

I feel i am quite western and hardly Thai at all. This is hardly surprising as I went to an international school in BKK, then boarding school and uni in the UK. I definitely identify more with the western mindset and I never felt out of place in the UK.

However, since i moved back to Thailand, i have taken a keen interest in modern Thai culture. This is an effort on my part to gain a deeper understanding of my country of birth.

I don't feel 100% accepted by Thais as one of them. This is understandable as i don't look Thai. Appearance is everything here, a perfect Thai accent or manners isn't going to change that.

I observe Thai cultural norms as much as i can when i'm here. I feel this is necessary as a luk krung living in Thailand. I could act like a farang and i suspect i could get by just fine, but then i would be missing out on a lot of things.

So to answer your question, i feel a little like an outsider in Thailand, but it doesn't bother me. Thailand is one of the nicest places to feel like an outsider as i'm sure many on this forum will agree.