Oh Lord...Let It Not Be Me

deadman

A good day goes bad........everything is looking all soo good then the back wants to do its own thang.

What should be done? Is it really the case that backing off the gas will mean doom? Obviously its a natural reflex, but how overcome it?

Gotta laugh at the onlookers, sauntering down the hill like it happens every day round that corner

Pretty gentle as far as highsides go. violin.gif

100% rider error. passifier.gif

Live and learn. coffee1.gif

Read my siggy wink.png

Ride On!

T intheclub.gif

I think it's something to do with this particular corner

p/s: I would love to learn how to lean a bike like that

Edited by Gweiloman

Read Keith Code's books to understand why the panic Survival Reflex of chopping the throttle causes the high-side by regaining rear wheel traction while crossed-up. How to 'not' chop? Practice, practice, practice - In the dirt is best to gain confidence in loss of traction situations. That asphalt is pretty unforgiving.

• Like 1

If you watch the close calls comp above, many of those riders stand up on the pegs, getting their weight off the rear wheel. Certainly seemed to help them.

Watch the clips again- they are not standing up my choice. These guys are just lucky they didn't get more sideways before their rear tire regained traction or they'd have been thrown over the handlebars.

• Like 1

If you watch the close calls comp above, many of those riders stand up on the pegs, getting their weight off the rear wheel. Certainly seemed to help them.

Standing up would centralize body mass, doing so would remove weight from the rear wheel and spread the load more uniformly.

Half the reason i think they stand up is from the force generated in the early stages of a high side, hence them being thrown upwards.

OK !! replying to OP it could be you, whatever is ever your lord, if you don't get the proper training, unless your a professional racer of coarse and this can happen to them anytime.smile.png

Anywhere in Bangkok to get proper (English speaking) training?

Isn't it always safe to pull the clutch?

Seems to be a fantastic spot to put a camera... something's wrong with that road there...

There's nothing wrong with the road, but the guys know that there are people filming them so they push harder than they should, often with disastrous or amusing results...

OK !! replying to OP it could be you, whatever is ever your lord, if you don't get the proper training, unless your a professional racer of coarse and this can happen to them anytime.smile.png

Nope :)

a high side is very difficult to control, it's not the rear wheel slide then grip that causes the problem as such it's the jolt the rider gets from his arse to his hands that causes the off, this jolt passes to bars causing the steering to go way in the wrong direction creating a huge swing of the back end, standing up can interrupt the wavei and is sometimes effective in stopping the steering jolt, the road at that point does lack grip for some reason but ultimately it's throttle control that is at fault

and the guy on the scooter although not going fast is a fine example of why you need to wear a Helmet.

Edited by smedly

Already said " Nope " but seriously if you ever get the chance to do an advanced course of some kind and you are a keen motorcyclist it's worth every penny, ( dime). :)

a high side is very difficult to control, it's not the rear wheel slide then grip that causes the problem as such it's the jolt the rider gets from his arse to his hands that causes the off, this jolt passes to bars causing the steering to go way in the wrong direction creating a huge swing of the back end, standing up can interrupt the wavei and is sometimes effective in stopping the steering jolt, the road at that point does lack grip for some reason but ultimately it's throttle control that is at fault

and the guy on the scooter although not going fast is a fine example of why you need to wear a Helmet.

Original OP video at 39 seconds shows a huge whack to back of head.. try that in cheap helmet and you will be lucky not to damage the ole gray matter.

He is also a good example of the benifits of being fat (just0 enough not to fit under the guard rail.... Wonder how steep the drop is there.

He is also a good example of the benifits of being fat (just0 enough not to fit under the guard rail.... Wonder how steep the drop is there.

It's a good drop, but not a cliff-

It's a good drop, but not a cliff-

Hes actually better off with that fall than a straight slide into guard rail, guardrail was initial impact but momentum carried him on over into the bushes and dissipated the energy.. rather that than hit the guard rail and stop dead ( no oun intended)

Sitting here in my wheelchair for the 18th day, that first vid sent shivers down my spine!

To be honest, I don't recall what I did when my rear tyre slid out on a wet patch - but it was obviously the wrong thing to do, whatever is was!

Thanks a lot, I'm pretty dam_n glad I'm here too. Recovery won't be so swift, but at least I get chance to recover - too many of us don't, at least here on Samui. As for needing anything, I'm good - my gf wasn't too injured thankfully, and she's taking good care of me. wai.gif One thing's for sure, it's shown me how many good friends I have here in Samui!