Police Chief Orders Tight Security In Bangkok

webfact

Police chief orders tight security in capital

The Nation

30179523-01_big.jpg

Female traffic police officers do a little jig at Ratchaprasong intersection as part of a campaign encouraging motorists to drive carefully during the Songkran period.

BANGKOK: --National police chief Pol General Priewphan Damapong sent an urgent fax to all relevant police bureaux to boost security and adopt aggressive measures to ensure safety in the capital during Songkran.

The fax said that since terrorism was a threat in many parts of the world and as the Valentine's Day explosions had affected the safety of Bangkok residents, the police needed to adopt strict measures in ensuring people's safety during Songkran, when many foreigners are expected to visit the Kingdom.

The Police Special Branch Division was told to coordinate with embassies and consulates as well as with the police stations in the area. All highrises also need to be checked to prevent sharpshooters from targeting embassies. The police force has also been ordered to patrol religious sites, tourist destinations, restaurants and other crowded areas.

In addition, the Immigration Bureau has been instructed to closely inspect foreigners who enter the Kingdom, especially people from countries that have terrorist links, while the Border Patrol Police Bureau has been told to have their ordnance disposal teams on standby.

Commanders and their deputies need to be on hand, especially at night, and provide reports to the Royal Thai Police Bureau in case of emergencies.

Meanwhile, Khao San Road, which is a popular venue among tourists during Songkran, is expected to be chocabloc with revellers, especially since each and every one of the 700 hotel rooms in the area has been booked, Piyabut Jivoramonaiyakul, president of the Khao San Business Association, said.

He added that about Bt10 million should be generated daily during Songkran celebrations, which will officially be launched on Thursday by HRH Princess Somsavali and come to an end next Sunday.

An Assumption University poll showed that 55 per cent of the 1,217 respondents were planning to leave Bangkok, of whom 40 per cent would take their own vehicles, 33 per cent would opt for public buses, 7 per cent will go for public vans and 6 per cent for trains.

Meanwhile, a dozen female police officers did a little dance performance at Ratchaprasong intersection yesterday as part of their accidentprevention campaign. Clips of the impromptu show will also be posted on Facebook and YouTube.

In addition, the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority is planning to provide icecold drinking water to passengers at major bus terminals in Bangkok on Wednesday and Thursday. Drinking water will also be provided to revellers in Bangkok's Lat Phrao district and in Samut Prakan's Phra Pradaeng district.

In Ayutthaya, the authorities are busy building a scaleddown version of historic structures inside a park in Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya district. The park will be open to revellers during Songkran.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-07

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so they stopped all the traffic for God knows how long for them to get themselves organised then do the jig thing - and I wonder how many criminals got away whilst they did that jig? And was that a criminal chasing them off the road at the end?

• Like 2

"dozen female police officers did a little dance performance at Ratchaprasong intersection yesterday as part of their accidentprevention campaign. Clips of the impromptu show"

Ummmm.... gives a new meaning to "impromptu"... but then again, it may be dancers in police uniforms rather than the police officers I have seen around Ratchaprasong in recent years!! Still, if it reduces the road toll.....

Perfectly sensible ideas and a nice touch from the female cops, greeted with the predictable derision and sarcasm from the grumps on ThaiVisa.

Sad chappies..................

If you like the BiB or not, they do have an image to uphold even if it's not so good. Dancing girls do not help. Oh yes, I forget, Thais take nothing serious. Please disregard. This dance will save hundreds of lives.

Edited by Markaew
  • Like 1

I wonder how long Yingluck had them practicing for this publicity stunt. I think they do this crap just to give something to talk about.

That's exactly why they do it ...to give people something to talk about and think about and maybe just save a few lives along the way.

Anything or any attempt at saving people lives can only be good so why criticise? did mummy not give you a dummy as a kid or something?

Funny that immigration will make the rows a little bit longer. It is as in the USA where incompetence and unfriendly behavior is the standard on (air)ports. As if a terrorist would enter with forged papers. Even the idiot from 911 had nice passports and great visa work. And which are the countries from where terrorists come? Iran, Iraq or the UK? Or are we simply selecting on skin color and the length of ones nose?

I wonder how long Yingluck had them practicing for this publicity stunt. I think they do this crap just to give something to talk about.

That's exactly why they do it ...to give people something to talk about and think about and maybe just save a few lives along the way.

Anything or any attempt at saving people lives can only be good so why criticise? did mummy not give you a dummy as a kid or something?

Apparently she gave me you as a dummy.

• Like 2

Perfectly sensible ideas and a nice touch from the female cops, greeted with the predictable derision and sarcasm from the grumps on ThaiVisa.

Sad chappies..................

If you like the BiB or not, they do have an image to uphold even if it's not so good. Dancing girls do not help. Oh yes, I forget, Thais take nothing serious. Please disregard. This dance will save hundreds of lives.

Wonder how many fatal car crashes happened in the immediate area when they were doing their little routine?

I rest my case, seems to be working!

OK I watched with a grin at the girlie antics. I am not bitter or unhappy and good luck I say to anyone who can put on a happy face and try to do something positive--------but-------- how the hell is this going to save anyones life !!! If the death toll decreases how do we attribute it to some body watching police ladies doing a dance------------------Beats me---------Dougal

Nice little video.

Indeed it was.clap2.gif

I'd rather see a dozen female cops dancing for 10 minutes than a bunch of people fighting each other for days.

Perhaps T.A.T. could use it as a promotional video to lure tourists to peaceful Thailand where the police dance in the streets.

If all the cops looked as good as these, I might be tempted to break the law more often just to get a chance to argue over a ticket.

Gives a whole new meaning to that song on the American COPS show " What you gonna do when we come for you?"

B.I.B.= Babes In Browngiggle.gif

• Like 2

What I'd like to know is, what's Thailand's national police chief in today's world doing sending out orders to his command via FAX???

What does that say about how the BKK PD operates? Next-time one of BKK's high-rises goes up in flames, I guess the cops can send out smoke signals.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

What I'd like to know is, what's Thailand's national police chief in today's world doing sending out orders to his command via FAX???

What does that say about how the BKK PD operates? Next-time one of BKK's high-rises goes up in flames, I guess the cops can send out smoke signals.

I am surprised that it is so modern....I thought need a written order with stamps and signatures (3 or 4, if one person is not in the office everything must wait) and than it is sent per messenger to the station, where someone needs to sign that it was received. Than someone must distribute it to the right person and (which needs at least 1 day and 3-4 signatures). Who is than opening it and read it, sign it and sends it back.

If everything runs perfect it can be done in one week (if it isn't outside Bangkok).

(this fictional procedure is based on my experiences at Austrian military. The good things is, till it can react the Sovjets would have passed Austria already, So inaction would save a lot lifes).

They should do that dance in official police bikinis.

Slow down.

These things take time here.

First we have the B.I.B. (Babes in Brown) then later we have Coyote Cops or Babes In Bikinis.

Edited by ratcatcher