Flashlights, Hurricane Lamps

Lobo4819

Since we now have rain and the accompanying thunderstorms and clear skies (not complaining), from time to time there are also electrical outages. Does anyone have knowledge of where one can purchase a QUALITY (not Thai, not Chinese) flashlight like a Mag-Lite or similar product here in CM? Also, it would be nice to have on hand an oil or kerosene fueled lantern for those longer outages.

Suggestions appreciated. I have checked BigC and HomePro, but all they have are the cheapo products that are worth nothing.

At Tesco Lotus Super Highway there is a shop downstairs in the back that sells military and survival stuff. They carry Swiss Army knives from Switzerland and a few sizes of Mag-Lite flashlights made in the USA among other interesting stuff, many of it quality goods. Not cheap by any means.

Certainly, it would be good to know if a kerosene fueled lamp (wick type) with glass chimney, is available anywhere.

Or maybe even the good old fashioned 'Hurricane' lamp.

I guess a Coleman or Tilley light would be hard to find.

Certainly, it would be good to know if a kerosene fueled lamp (wick type) with glass chimney, is available anywhere.

They used to have them (many) at the large antique market across from Lanna Hospital. They were a Thai made lantern and good quality. Many had been refurbished and re-chromed and were beautiful. But they moved. Does anybody know where they moved to? I have not been able to find the new place.

Weather in Chiang Mai is weird, things change in a single day. Ive never experienced anything like this anywhere else in the world.

One day it started raining and didnt stop for a while, In the cool season it got cool all of the sudden, then one day it just decided to get smoky, then a couple of days ago it just got cool all of a sudden.

Its confizzling.

I've had a couple of cheap re-chargeable Torches I bought 4 years ago in a Mom and Pop shop and they work just fine. Other than that I keep a good stock of various size Candles, something which there is no shortage of in Thailand.

The best is to buy an emergency light with 2 LED lamps. They give you light for the whole night. If you can not find emergency lights with LED you buy one with 2 Halogen lamps and take the bulbs out and replace them with LED bulbs of the same size. You can carry it around the house and have two nice lights for about 10 hours. This works very fine for me.

Cheers, Carlos

Not so difficult to find.

In the city inside the Wororot small soi's (close to Chiang Mai Plastic's backdoor) is a shop who sells many sizes and shapes.

Outside the city you are very likely to find them in the typical farmers' hardware and convenience store.

We just bought 6 big ones (40 cm) on the road to Phrao (about 3 kilometers after Maejo Uni) on the street.

They're in metal with removable glass (pretty thick and strong).

The wick you can easily make yourself with cotton cloth (hard to explain how to do but can find on the Boyscouts website for sure LOL)

Almost every electricity shop sells the LED flashlights with extra feature so you can open one side and it will lit the whole building.

They cost between 99 and and 99,50 THB

They're so cheap and mine (3 pieces) lasts 2 year already,....

Any other emergency light from an imported brand will cost you at least a 1000 a piece.

Just saying,....

Anyway, the ones you want they sell in the Khad Suan Kaew Sports section.

They used to sell Coleman there, but not sure if they still do.

Weather in Chiang Mai is weird, things change in a single day. Ive never experienced anything like this anywhere else in the world.

One day it started raining and didnt stop for a while, In the cool season it got cool all of the sudden, then one day it just decided to get smoky, then a couple of days ago it just got cool all of a sudden.

Its confizzling.

You should visit Belgium.

Any time of the year, there you can experience 4 seasons and an Indian Summer in one single day.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I did find, and am partial to, Mag-Lites, which I found in the back of Tesco Lotus Khon Tiem thanks to one of the referrals. IMHO, best light for overall use. At a more leisurely pace, I will seek out the oil lamps. Enjoy Songkran all.

Oil lamps are available in the ruamchock market, near rimping mee chok. They're in what my wife and I refer to as the 20baht shop. Basically the big stall that has nearly everything for sale, with the plastic buckets, bins, etc outside it. Prices range from 5baht up.

I can't remember how much we paid for ours, but it was around 100baht for the oil lamp.