Pheu Thai Party: Survey Shows The Public Believes Reconciliation Is Possible

Lite Beer

Pheu Thai Party: Survey shows the public believes reconciliation is possible

BANGKOK, 8 April 2012 (NNT) – The ruling Pheu Thai Party is confident that the public still believes that the country will still be able to achieve the ambitious goal of national reconciliation.

Pheu Thai Party deputy spokesman Jirayu Huangsap said that the ruling party has recently conducted a survey of public opinions related to the proposals made by the House Committee on national reconciliation.

Mr. Jirayu said that the survey results were derived through the network of 265 Pheu Thai MPs and more than 200 MP candidates.

He stated that 72 percent of the respondents believed that there would eventually be reconciliation in Thailand, while only 12 percent was unsure and another 9 percent did not expect such a scenario would ever happen.

The survey also found that 80 percent of the people said both sides of the conflict are to blame for the failure to achieve reconciliation as no one is willing to meet halfway, while 37 percent said it has always been an ego that hinders all reconciliatory efforts.

When asked about the roles of the King Prajadhipok's Institute in this pivotal move, 82 percent believed the KPI failed to stand behind its research, while 76 percent suggested the Institute to be neutral. Forty-five percent of the respondents said that other institutes should be asked to conduct additional studies on this issue.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-04-08 footer_n.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These survey results all seem to be skewed to the political orientation of those conducting them. I take all of them 'with a grain of salt' including the PTP one above, as well as ABAC, NIDA, etc.. They all try to suggest the public concurs with their particular political slant on things but trying to give it a credible researchy sort of veneer.. A type of "agenda laundering". If there is a truly independent research source whose Poll findings could be trusted, I don't know who they are. Reconciliation is a pipe-dream imho, in spite of what the above PTP survey tries to suggest.

Edited by CalgaryII
  • Like 1

He stated that 72 percent of the respondents believed that there would eventually be reconciliation in Thailand,

Eventually?!!

So some time between now and the end of time, there will be reconciliation in Thailand, according to 72% of people. Fantastic news.

Perhaps a less idiotic statistic would be the percentage of people who think reconciliation will be achieved by this current administration.

Sure anyone can get a hired poll to find a result they like, it's all in the wording.

How about a fair, unbiased poll of 30,000 Thais across the country,

asking if the public thinks reconciliation is likely?

Edited by animatic

Reds respect the polls when it suits them.

Care to explain what you mean? Are you referring to opinion polls (the subject of the thread), in which case "respect" is not really the right word.One notes the findings of opinion polls, and gives them credence to the extent one gives value to their methodology.

If you however mean general election polls your post is just bizarre.The parties associated with the redshirts have won election after election.If you are suggesting the reds would not respect an election fairly won by other parties, then say so - though such an opinion would be completely hypothetical and in the view of many misfounded.

If you however mean general election polls your post is just bizarre.The parties associated with the redshirts have won election after election.If you are suggesting the reds would not respect an election fairly won by other parties, then say so - though such an opinion would be completely hypothetical and in the view of many misfounded.

The reds may not have liked the parliamentary process that enabled it, and i understand the reasons for that, but the fact is that Abhisit came to power through the polls and he was as every bit legitimate as Somchai. I don't recall the reds respecting the polls on that occasion.

• Like 1

The reds may not have liked the parliamentary process that enabled it, and i understand the reasons for that, but the fact is that Abhisit came to power through the polls and he was as every bit legitimate as Somchai. I don't recall the reds respecting the polls on that occasion.

Simply not true!

"It was not that Chartthaipattana wanted to join the coalition. We would definitely not do so if we were not forced to. We were pressured by a powerful force from which we could not evade." Chartthaipattana Party leader Chumpol Silapa-archa said.

Simply not true!

"It was not that Chartthaipattana wanted to join the coalition. We would definitely not do so if we were not forced to. We were pressured by a powerful force from which we could not evade." Chartthaipattana Party leader Chumpol Silapa-archa said.

Yeah right, like Chumpol Silapa-archa had a gun to his head. He could have said no but he wanted a slice of the action like all the other politicians.

If you want to examine the horse trading involved in any of the Thai coalition governments, you will find coercion, power deals, secret meetings, money exchanges, enticements etc, in them all. I don't condone it, but nor do i pretend it occurs selectively. Wake up if you do.

And I daresay Somchai, if able to speak freely on the matter, would also say a powerful force from which he could not evade was behind his sudden elevation to Premier. Do you really think Somchai ever wanted that job?

Edited by rixalex

The gullible sheep that follow the PTP would believe anything they are told. Are they rich yet? Are they equal with all other Thais? Whatever makes them think that political reconciliation can be achieved?

I am cynical enough to believe that the sole purpose of the electoral process is to replace one set of crooks, thieves and spinners of impossible dreams with another - or not, if the electorate have not been paying attention. Roll on the day when it finally dawns on the current red shirt rabble that they are no better off than they were previously, while their ranting leaders shamelessly parade their new found wealth.

• Like 2

PTP holds an inhouse survey and the results are satisfying.

Black widow female arachnids eat their male partners.

Another myth. The cleverer male spiders work out which female spider is likely to eat them after sex and avoid them. A lesson quite apt in this LoS (if you take "eat" as in "devour" that is licklips.gif)

http://news.discovery.com/animals/cannibalistic-spiders-110707.html

He stated that 72 percent of the respondents believed that there would eventually be reconciliation in Thailand

EVENTUALLY? Like when? Before the end of time? During this administration's tenure? Before the next coup?

And that was 72% that said EVENTUALLY.

The survey also found that 80 percent of the people said both sides of the conflict are to blame for the failure to achieve reconciliation as no one is willing to meet halfway, while 37 percent said it has always been an ego that hinders all reconciliatory efforts.

And therein lies the most telling statement. There will be no reconsiliation until both sides are willing to soften their stance, and until the nationless one butts out.

However, justice must also be done by holding those accountable for any and all criminal acts commited. But that must be decided by a court of law and the punishment must also be seen to fit the crimes committed. Until that is achieved, reconsiliation will never happen.

So... how long is eventually? In my opinion, a very very very long way off. Too many vested interests at play here.

Yeah right, like Chumpol Silapa-archa had a gun to his head. He could have said no but he wanted a slice of the action like all the other politicians.

If you want to examine the horse trading involved in any of the Thai coalition governments, you will find coercion, power deals, secret meetings, money exchanges, enticements etc, in them all. I don't condone it, but nor do i pretend it occurs selectively. Wake up if you do.

And I daresay Somchai, if able to speak freely on the matter, would also say a powerful force from which he could not evade was behind his sudden elevation to Premier. Do you really think Somchai ever wanted that job?

As usual coup sympathisers acting dumb. You know quite well what happened, but choose to brush over it. Abhisit's administration was as democratic & valid as a bee hive. They & their fellow perpetrators are single-handedly responsible for the violence & hatred that prevails in the country.

As usual coup sympathisers acting dumb. You know quite well what happened, but choose to brush over it. Abhisit's administration was as democratic & valid as a bee hive. They & their fellow perpetrators are single-handedly responsible for the violence & hatred that prevails in the country.

I didn't brush it over i simply acknowledged the fact that all coalition governments in Thailand have likely involved some dubious back room deals that could be described as anti-democratic, but it's generally accepted as being a necessary ugly. if you think other Abhisit's was the only one, and that Thaksin's coalition governments were formed in a totally transparent manner, without any inducements or coercions, you are being very naive.

Off your medicine again? "There are none so blind as those that will not see". Matthew Henry

• Like 2

Reconciliation can also mean everybody being brought to account, from all factions, and charged within the guidelines of law!

Reconciliation just doesn't mean Thaksin is forgiven.

From that stand point, I hope that the people's opinions hold court!

As I just saw a flying 50m long tree go past my window on the top of a 4x4....
giggle.gif

-mel.

The only poll that matters was held on 3/7/2011

YUP!

Really? The topic here is reconciliation, not who has the Parliamentary majority. Check out a map of seat distributions and tell me the country is not divided.

The election solved all the problems? Yeah, right.

• Like 1

Another myth. The cleverer male spiders work out which female spider is likely to eat them after sex and avoid them. A lesson quite apt in this LoS (if you take "eat" as in "devour" that is

Sadly those paid minions along with the myopic supporters of Thaksin that flock to have Thaksin declared innocent of any wrong doing are the less clever members of society, they will indeed or in fact already have fallen prey to the myth of Thaksins innocence and his phony belief in Democracy.

myopia-22.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Another myth. The cleverer male spiders work out which female spider is likely to eat them after sex and avoid them. A lesson quite apt in this LoS (if you take "eat" as in "devour" that is

Sadly those paid minions along with the myopic supporters of Thaksin that flock to have Thaksin declared innocent of any wrong doing are the less clever members of society, they will indeed or in fact already have fallen prey to the myth of Thaksins innocence and his phony belief in Democracy.

myopia-22.jpg

Actually it's our cock, but who am I to argue? :P

-mel

The only poll that matters was held on 3/7/2011

Reds respect the polls when it suits them.

you must be joking... (edit: assuming you are referring to elections) When was the last time the red shirt movement did not respect the polls?

Please, do tell...

Edited by tlansford