Mis International School Advice Please

LittleRoses

Hello,

We are moving to Thailand in June and looking for schools for our kids,they are currently in Y4, Y2 and reception in the UK.

Has anyone had experiences with Mooltripakdee International School (MIS) in primary level? We had a visit last time but it was half term holiday so didnt see the atmosphere.

We are also interested in Garden International school in Rayong, any advices / information would be appreciated.

The Mooltripakdee International School was previously the Montessori School and was very good. They moved into new premises to expand to offer Primary but I thought they only did Years 1 to 3 unless they have expanded again?

GIS also has a good reputation but depending on where you live is a lot farther away from Pattaya.

Edited by PattayaParent

Hello PattayaParent

Thank you for your response.

MIS has up to Y4 now. We will probably be living in Bangsarae.

We perfer GIS but tuition fee is a lot more expensive than MIS, we have 3 girls, 3 term x 3...oh! lots of money for their school!

Any more information for both schools pls.

I had my son at Montessori but moved him to St Andrews. English at Montessori is a bit lacking by the assistants.

Posted from my Galaxy Nexus.

But aren't the assistants Thai with the teachers being native or fluent English speakers?

The assistants are there to assist the Thai kids who do not speak English well.

Maybe that's the theory but in reality they do more, at least in my son's class, so he started to talk like a Thai (eg Lotut instead of Lotus).

Posted from my Galaxy Nexus.

Probably adapting to the environment, if you say Lotus to a Thai they will have no idea what you are talking about and it's not due to their lack of English skills.

Like if you say tomato or aluminium to an American.

• Like 1

Hello PattayaParent

Thank you for your response.

MIS has up to Y4 now. We will probably be living in Bangsarae.

We perfer GIS but tuition fee is a lot more expensive than MIS, we have 3 girls, 3 term x 3...oh! lots of money for their school!

Any more information for both schools pls.

GIS is certainly closer to you then if you can afford the tuition, you also have to take into account the travel time especially if they are going to be on a school bus, they will likely be first on, last off at MIS but last on, first off at GIS. It makes a big difference in travel time especially for a little one.

Will MIS expand beyond Y4 or will you have to move your older daughter again?

Edited by PattayaParent

• 2 weeks later...

MIS will expand to year 6, but i dont think they will go up to secondary level. Yeah, you make me thinking about moving my elder daughter to secondary school in 2 year and then i have to pay enrollment fee again. Maybe the better option is GIS ,we are going to visit the schools next month, GIS and St.Andrews and see which one suit our children.

MIS will expand to year 6, but i dont think they will go up to secondary level. Yeah, you make me thinking about moving my elder daughter to secondary school in 2 year and then i have to pay enrollment fee again. Maybe the better option is GIS ,we are going to visit the schools next month, GIS and St.Andrews and see which one suit our children.

St. Andrew's is more expensive than GIS.

• 10 months later...

I am going to bump this thread despite the OP having only posted within this thread so no idea where his kids finally went.

Anyone else with their progeny assigned to MIS? It is quite new and growing but built on the solid foundations and success of the original Montessori in Naklua. We are planning a relocation from Isaan for our son's education and this one is short-listed as well as Phoenix, Satit, GIS and St. Andrews. School drive time and NOT consigning him to school buses is a factor on where we will chose to live.

HI

My child goes to MIS and must say its an great school..

In my opinion its the most childfriendly school in Thailand..

Besides math / english there is enough attention for art ,music computer lessons etc etc..

No overload of stressing test and excessive home work...

pleasant atmoshere and excellent facilities no junkfood,but fruits,soccer field great pool basketball field..small classes 2 teachers in the class.

It britisch curriculum i like it...

its the only school starting at 9 in the morning and i really dont like all these other schools starting at 8 in the morning helloo..

Now there is till year 5 next year it runs to year 6...

• Like 1

HI

Besides math / english there is enough attention for art ,music computer lessons etc etc..

pleasant atmoshere and excellent facilities no junkfood,but fruits,soccer field great pool basketball field..small classes 2 teachers in the class.

its the only school starting at 9 in the morning and i really dont like all these other schools starting at 8 in the morning helloo..

Much appreciated! That 9am start sounds like a winner and may make the choice of home location a bit wider if it avoids the usual 8am traffic gridlock. What time does school end?

HI

Much appreciated! That 9am start sounds like a winner and may make the choice of home location a bit wider if it avoids the usual 8am traffic gridlock. What time does school end?

15,30 all reasonable but there is nice after school programs too like football ,art.swimming

HI

15,30 all reasonable but there is nice after school programs too like football ,art.swimming
Very reasonable IMHO. I should still be able to manage my afternoon play time at the TQ!

We looked at putting my daughter into the Kindergarden at MIS but eventualy settled on the English Programme at Phoenix, the reasoning for this was we had a long talk with the Head at MIS and he gave some useful advice. He basically said if you are looking at staying in Thailand and not returning to the UK then maybe the International curriculum is not the right one for the child. If the child is looking at staying in Thailand then the British Curriculum is not really helpful as they will not be accepted or the qualifications recognised into the Thai education system which could have big implications when trying to get a job etc. He also mentioned that he was not going to send his child to an International school as he and his family where not returning to the UK. Personnaly I liked what we saw at MIS and it certainly seemed the better school but I took onboard what he said and think it was good advice, as for Phoenix well my daughter likes it there but I do get annoyed as even though the Teachers are British/US all the classroom helpers in the kindergarden only speak Thai which is not great when you are paying for an English programme, other than that though I am generally happy with Phoenix but I will reserve judgement until she starts the proper school in April

Edited by mark131v

Let us know if you get hit up for under the table "fees"

Why? Did you or someone you know get asked for such? Did they pay?

thats the way it works in the better schools, thailand's dirty little ( not so secret)

thats the way it works in the better schools, thailand's dirty little ( not so secret)

Really....that is not the impression I got when we visited and spoke with the Head and other teachers in fact they had a booklet they gave us with all the prices for registration, uniform, meals and semesters etc so I would take that with a pinch of salt as they where very upfront about all the prices

• Like 1

I disagree. some schools for sure. Our son attended RIS in Bangkok and we were never asked for anything "under the table" when we enrolled him.

I have been around the block here to know what some Thai schools expect. My research so far, that does include talking with several parents of current and former students indicates that MIS doesn't pull this.

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessary flame

• 2 weeks later...

We have our son in MIS, we moved him from Tarra Pattana / Phoenix where he spent a couple years... We are very happy with MIS, all round seems to be a great school. I am told he will go through to year 6 then will need to look for another school for him.