Poll: Respondents Worry About Sabotage During Songkran

webfact

Poll: Respondents Worry about Sabotage During Songkran

BANGKOK: -- An opinion survey shows that most respondents are worried about terror attacks during the long Songkran holiday.

An opinion survey conducted by the Assumption University suggested that 61.7 percent of its respondents believe that possible terror attacks may occur during the upcoming Songkran long weekend and they are not confident whether the authorities can prevent such unrest.

When asked about their views on politics, 81.4 percent responded that the present political dispute remains worrisome. A total of 85.9 percent commented that the Songkran festival presents a good opportunity for Thais to create national reconciliation.

Around two-thirds recommended that the restoration of unity can be accomplished through the judicial process while about 58 percent said a law granting amnesty is the best way out.

Meanwhile, a survey conducted by the Dusit Rajabhat University said that 40.76 percent of respondents believe this year's Songkran festival will be rather quiet due to the recent deadly blasts in the South.

Nearly 55 percent said they are most worried about severe traffic congestion and road accidents, while nearly 28 percent stated they are concerned about sabotage or a bomb attack.

Roughly 30 percent suggested that the upcoming festival be used to foster national reconciliation with the government and opposition politicians acting as role models for the people by ending their political wrangling.

The poll indicated that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is the politician most Thais want to engage in the traditional Songkran water fight with.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-10

footer_n.gif

For now we are safe as everywhere in Thailand is swarming with police and military.

Swarming? Where are you located... the deep south? The rest of Thailand is not swarming, hence a likely target.

I am in Hat Yai and Songkhla. The place is swarming with Police and military. They sit in every soi of the main road checking cars. People are spilling in from Yala like refugees with the most sorrow-full faces I have ever seen. Incredibly depressing. Someone has failed these people utterly. For every bomber I guess you have 100,000 non-bombers. Tragedy of more than titanic proportions. Wonder this region does not get UN intervention. UN troops stationed down here could put an end to it. It's every much a war zone as Iraq or Afghanistan. Paradox is that these Muslims down here are the sweetest people I have ever met in my life. Most are loyal to the ten commandments. You won't find them yelling farang in disgust, cheating you, or murdering you or having the secret Thai brother = husband stashed away. Very straight up good people. Edited by heiwa
  • Like 1

For now we are safe as everywhere in Thailand is swarming with police and military.

Swarming? Where are you located... the deep south? The rest of Thailand is not swarming, hence a likely target.

Very straight up good people.

Most! Don't forget the bombers - they are hidden in there, despite your experiences with the majority.

As for UN, this isn't a lateral war, it's an internal Thai problem, so there won't be any UN coming.

-mel.

I am in Hat Yai and Songkhla. The place is swarming with Police and military. They sit in every soi of the main road checking cars. People are spilling in from Yala like refugees with the most sorrow-full faces I have ever seen. Incredibly depressing. Someone has failed these people utterly. For every bomber I guess you have 100,000 non-bombers. Tragedy of more than titanic proportions. Wonder this region does not get UN intervention. UN troops stationed down here could put an end to it. It's every much a war zone as Iraq or Afghanistan. Paradox is that these Muslims down here are the sweetest people I have ever met in my life. Most are loyal to the ten commandments. You won't find them yelling farang in disgust, cheating you, or murdering you or having the secret Thai brother = husband stashed away. Very straight up good people.

I was unaware that muslims followed the 10 Commandments. I was under the impression that while this is a cornerstone of Judaism and Christanity, the Qu'ran does not discuss the contents, nor mention the need to comply with the 10 commandments. This inaccuracy then calls into question the entire premise of your statement.

I do not doubt for a minute that many thousands of people are refugees from the violence. Some are muslim, while a great many are not. The overwhelming majority of those fleeing for their lives are buddhists and those that serve the community such as public health workers, public administration officials' families and teachers.

It is a nice sentiment that you want UN peacekeepers. Where do you propose these peacekeepers come from and who will pay? Considering the allegations surrounding the support for the insurgents coming from neighbors such as Indonesia, Malaysia and Arab countries, there isn't much of a pool of personnel available. Western countries are fed up with dealing with muslim attached sensitivities and they just don't have the funds or personnel available for such an adventure. The Africans have their hands full with African conflicts. Would you propose India and China then? That would go over like a lead balloon.

I am in Hat Yai and Songkhla. The place is swarming with Police and military. They sit in every soi of the main road checking cars. People are spilling in from Yala like refugees with the most sorrow-full faces I have ever seen. Incredibly depressing. Someone has failed these people utterly. For every bomber I guess you have 100,000 non-bombers. Tragedy of more than titanic proportions. Wonder this region does not get UN intervention. UN troops stationed down here could put an end to it. It's every much a war zone as Iraq or Afghanistan. Paradox is that these Muslims down here are the sweetest people I have ever met in my life. Most are loyal to the ten commandments. You won't find them yelling farang in disgust, cheating you, or murdering you or having the secret Thai brother = husband stashed away. Very straight up good people.

I was unaware that muslims followed the 10 Commandments. I was under the impression that while this is a cornerstone of Judaism and Christanity, the Qu'ran does not discuss the contents, nor mention the need to comply with the 10 commandments. This inaccuracy then calls into question the entire premise of your statement.

I do not doubt for a minute that many thousands of people are refugees from the violence. Some are muslim, while a great many are not. The overwhelming majority of those fleeing for their lives are buddhists and those that serve the community such as public health workers, public administration officials' families and teachers.

It is a nice sentiment that you want UN peacekeepers. Where do you propose these peacekeepers come from and who will pay? Considering the allegations surrounding the support for the insurgents coming from neighbors such as Indonesia, Malaysia and Arab countries, there isn't much of a pool of personnel available. Western countries are fed up with dealing with muslim attached sensitivities and they just don't have the funds or personnel available for such an adventure. The Africans have their hands full with African conflicts. Would you propose India and China then? That would go over like a lead balloon.

From my research these ten commandments are covered in the Qu'ran but not in one page. Who will pay? My God how costly is this mess at present? The sorrow-full faces that I saw were Muslilms - many have lost brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, fathers and mothers as the buddhists have. Buddhists are an extreme minority so I can not imagine many working for the government or teachers. I can not think of anything much sadder than tarring a whole group of people with the same brush. They once did this to the Jews. And some still do. 100 bombers out of 2 billion muslims? What about Timothy McVeigh. Do we say all Christians are bad because he was a bomber? Do we blame all Americans and Englisman because their country started war with Iraq on phony allegations. Of course we don't. We separate good and bad people. It is only logical. This war caused far more deaths than any Muslim bombers. Vietnam war. Death is all the same for the dead whoever the killer is. In the West we believe war deaths are perfectly fine. I fail to see the logic in this. Can not see any logic in anyone dying unnecessarily. Sadly usually is the profit motive - the root of all evil - some say. At any rate for Budhists and Muslims it is better for this to stop immediately and I hope the government is working on it. Yep, my god. I can read Thai and I can see that many of the number plates I see in Songkhla and Hat Yai are from Yala. Not exactly the place to spend Songkran. Perhaps its time to evacuate Buddhists and Muslims from the region with financial resettling incentives. Perhaps to Suratthani or above. Something has to be done. Do we just wait for 10,000 dead and 35,000 legless, armless and blind. Edited by heiwa

For now we are safe as everywhere in Thailand is swarming with police and military. They will wait until the police and army leave to strike again so I think no need to stay home. Happy New Year Thailand.

I saw 2 so

I saw 2 soldiers at the bus station Monday. looked like they were headed home on leave. Maybe 2 constitutes a swarm.

UN troops? seriously? The UN is a worthless organization. Every time the UN sends in a large amount of troops, that usually means most are American troops and American troops (nor EU troops) feel very friendly toward Muslim extremists. How do you know these 'sweet people' are Muslims? Do they tell everyone they meet "I am a Muslim"? Or, perhaps carry signs identifying them as such?

I have worked with Muslims in the middle east. They were not extremists but, they have told me that, when they went to the mosque the Muslim cleric would be shouting about "death to the infidels" and get the congregation in a frenzy.

I don't recall Buddhists every calling for a holy war against non Buddhists.

UN troops? seriously? The UN is a worthless organization. Every time the UN sends in a large amount of troops, that usually means most are American troops and American troops (nor EU troops) feel very friendly toward Muslim extremists. How do you know these 'sweet people' are Muslims? Do they tell everyone they meet "I am a Muslim"? Or, perhaps carry signs identifying them as such?

I have worked with Muslims in the middle east. They were not extremists but, they have told me that, when they went to the mosque the Muslim cleric would be shouting about "death to the infidels" and get the congregation in a frenzy.

I don't recall Buddhists every calling for a holy war against non Buddhists.

Its quite easy to distinguish between Muslims and Buddhists in Thailand most of the time. Thai Muslims and Buddhists often dress differently. Do your research. Amulet is the obvious - but they do not always wear amulets. Then facial hair growth. Muslims can not wear necklaces. Look for necklaces. Many foreigners die in mysterious circumstances in Thailand. Do your research to find out how this happens and who is doing it. Thy shall not kill is a Muslim command. However, nothing is 100%, as one Malay Muslim told me it depends on the situation especially when being robbed at night etc. Of course with jihad this is different and personally I don't agree with it. You will find people who really believe in God whether it be Jews, Christians or Muslims, not myself, have a facial expression of really being at peace with the world. Look for this serene look. I have seen it in Christians, Jews and Muslims. However, from your accounts this serene look was something you did not see in Middle East Muslims, noted. When you find your wife in your house with another man and she tell you he is her brother that is another clue 555. Or when a man answers your wife's phone 555. Or when you see a bottle of whiskey. Or when your wife asks you to pay for a million baht in gambling debts. Or when you hear the buffalo has died and money is needed to replace it 555. And when there is relentless demands for money after you are married. Or when you are called a buffalo. All of these are tell tale signs that they are not Muslims. Edited by heiwa

Obviously you don't understand how terrorist cells work. They do their best to blend in and NOT stand out as an obvious muslim terrorist or even a muslim. The thing is, muslims do the same things everyone else does, adultery, alcohol consumption, cheat, steal and murder.

Your comments are textbook muslim answers. But, it's not reality.

But, your saying that all muslims are peace loving and always following the teachings of the Koran, is as silly as saying all Christians are peace loving and Bible believing people. Much of the misery in the world today is brought on by muslims. I don't recall any Buddhists planting bombs in market places and killing innocent children. just google Islamic terrorist acts and see how many thousands of articles pop up.

When I go on holiday to southern Thailand, I don't worry about being targeted by Buddhists in a bomb attack. Nor do I worry about the Catholics targeting me in a bombing attack in the southern Philippines. it's those peace loving muslims.

]From my research these ten commandments are covered in the Qu'ran but not in one page. Who will pay? My God how costly is this mess at present? The sorrow-full faces that I saw were Muslilms - many have lost brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, fathers and mothers as the buddhists have. Buddhists are an extreme minority so I can not imagine many working for the government or teachers. I can not think of anything much sadder than tarring a whole group of people with the same brush. They once did this to the Jews. And some still do. 100 bombers out of 2 billion muslims? What about Timothy McVeigh. Do we say all Christians are bad because he was a bomber? Do we blame all Americans and Englisman because their country started war with Iraq on phony allegations. Of course we don't. We separate good and bad people. It is only logical. This war caused far more deaths than any Muslim bombers. Vietnam war. Death is all the same for the dead whoever the killer is. In the West we believe war deaths are perfectly fine. I fail to see the logic in this. Can not see any logic in anyone dying unnecessarily. Sadly usually is the profit motive - the root of all evil - some say. At any rate for Budhists and Muslims it is better for this to stop immediately and I hope the government is working on it. Yep, my god. I can read Thai and I can see that many of the number plates I see in Songkhla and Hat Yai are from Yala. Not exactly the place to spend Songkran. Perhaps its time to evacuate Buddhists and Muslims from the region with financial resettling incentives. Perhaps to Suratthani or above. Something has to be done. Do we just wait for 10,000 dead and 35,000 legless, armless and blind.

Mr. McVeigh did not carry out the bombing because of any Christian sentiments. His religious views, or lack thereof, were not implicated. In Thailand, the terror attacks are carried out in the name of Allah. The issue here is not Iraq, but of Thailand. If you believe the westerners are all crazy killers, ok, that's your opinion. However, the westerners are not implicated in Thailand, nor are Christians, Jews, Hindus, Bahais, Wiccans, Druids, or those that bel;ong to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti.

Why should Thais be forced to evacuate? Your proposal to create scores of refugees evokes memories of the division of India into two regions; One called India where an attempt to build a non sectarian society built upon law and democracy would be made and the other called Pakistan where only one religion would be tolerated and where it seem, an attempt to create a nation based upon a return to the bronze age as quickly as possible would be made. I note that India has one of the largest muslim populations in the world and this minority certainly has more rights and freedoms than non muslim groups in Pakistan have. The take away lesson from India is that basic civil rights and minority rights seem to do best under a non muslim dominated government. As such, the removal of the Buddhist population would only make life more difficult for the muslims as unforgiving harsh aspects of the rligion such as Sharia law would take hold.

]Its quite easy to distinguish between Muslims and Buddhists in Thailand most of the time. Thai Muslims and Buddhists often dress differently. Do your research. Amulet is the obvious - but they do not always wear amulets. Then facial hair growth. Muslims can not wear necklaces. Look for necklaces. Many foreigners die in mysterious circumstances in Thailand. Do your research to find out how this happens and who is doing it. Thy shall not kill is a Muslim command. However, nothing is 100%, as one Malay Muslim told me it depends on the situation especially when being robbed at night etc. Of course with jihad this is different and personally I don't agree with it. You will find people who really believe in God whether it be Jews, Christians or Muslims, not myself, have a facial expression of really being at peace with the world. Look for this serene look. I have seen it in Christians, Jews and Muslims. However, from your accounts this serene look was something you did not see in Middle East Muslims, noted. When you find your wife in your house with another man and she tell you he is her brother that is another clue 555. Or when a man answers your wife's phone 555. Or when you see a bottle of whiskey. Or when your wife asks you to pay for a million baht in gambling debts. Or when you hear the buffalo has died and money is needed to replace it 555. And when there is relentless demands for money after you are married. Or when you are called a buffalo. All of these are tell tale signs that they are not Muslims.

I find your post to be quite offensive and derisive towards non muslim Thais. Your assertion that those that have religion have facial expressions indicative of being at peace is crap. Some would argue that the catonic state is due to other reasons. For every religious person that has such a facial expression there are those with no religious views that hyave the same look. And there are just as many religious people with nasty expressions on their faces.

Your comemnts suggest that you believe that only non muslims engage in deceit or improper acts. Would you like to know about the subject listing for Paradise in phuket? Take a guess at how many muslims are working in the gay bars? Although they try to conceal it, they often do maintain some views such as not eating pork. There are even quite a significant number of the kathoeys. It's not just the gay crowd, but many of the girls working the beer bars are from the south. Not every hooker comes from Issan despite your attempt to suggest that. Do you honestly think that only non muslims gamble or call their spouses kwai or ask for money?

Yes a man may have it easier with a wife if they are muslim, but that is the man's perspective. Do you honestly think that the woman has it easier with a muslim husband. You negect to mention the ease with which a male muslim can take another wife or visit a whore, all to the first wife's detriment. On and on it goes.

If you think that Thai muslims do not drink or use drugs, then you are very wrong. If that was the case, the number of muslims with alcohol or other drug related health issues, would not be reflective of the population. Sorry, but muslims do the same bad things as do non muslims, and in some cases they can present with puzzling sexually transmitted illnesses that begs the question of how the hell did they get the infection in that specific part of the body.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Of course Muslims can have the same vices as others - they are human - which I have frequently seen. I never said they did not have vices if you read my posts carefully. I even went as far as to say that they kill when robbing people if you don't hand over quickly (cut your throat is the fashion in Malaysia I am told) - which seems to be widespread in Malaysia - so I am told by Muslims. And it really is open to interpretation that vices are vices. Vices as we perceive them can easily be seen as something that is good. Buddhism sees the sense of this. However I don't see much good with gambling. For me I certainly do not regret committing any of the vices I have engaged in - they were most pleasurable despite what the Bible or Koran would say. I am just speaking from my and many other peoples experiences with non-Muslims in this country. I do agree that there must be good experiences yet I am yet to personally hear of one. I do agree Buddhism is a good moderating influence on the Muslims here taking their religion to seriously. It would be a shame if Thailand became like Malaysia. What I am saying is I readily admit what I say is not based on fact but personal experiences of myself and many others. And if we look to Indonesia the same tricks are employed there with Muslims. So perhaps after reading these posts perhaps it is more the case that we are dealing with a lower caste of people than a person of a certain religion who play these cheating games and show very little respect to foreigners. The stories I could tell of what has happened to foreigners here. Just believe me - I have grounds for what I am saying. But yes one could conclude that it is desperately poor people taking advantage of retarded farang who are blind to it all. However, I have talked to ThaiMuslims here and they say that their emotions are different from other Thai people. That's what I love about Thailand - people can say what they think and the truth can be revealed. We as Westerners have to say what is politically correct. Classic Thai comment is - I don't like white men, I don't like farang (often not said directly) or I don't like black men. Telling it how it is. I love it. I think Muslims are far closer to us because the Koran and Bible are very similar. Our thinking is therefore very similar even if we are not religious. I find I feel there is much greater warmth when I meet muslims here - relatively little distance. Some can look pretty sour at the same time - but not many. Yes, we all know for an extreme minority fire crackers just won't do it for them but that should not stop us looking at the big picture - being blinded by hate for all Muslims. Universal hate for a whole group is the new love. How the legacy of great Western thinking has collapsed. Very sad. Where are the Ciceros' of the past? I often see Muslims have a good time in the Pattaya of the South in Dannok - God is very forgiving 555. How can any religion suppress sexual pleasure. Yep, for sure they are not all good boys 555. I did not just say Muslims have this serene facial expressions - I said Christians, Jews and Muslims. I guess it is because they get a tremendous amount of release in leaving everything up to God. I do hope this opinion is not a crime. There is some real twisting of what I am saying in previous posts. Be straight up please.

Edited by heiwa

]Its quite easy to distinguish between Muslims and Buddhists in Thailand most of the time. Thai Muslims and Buddhists often dress differently. Do your research. Amulet is the obvious - but they do not always wear amulets. Then facial hair growth. Muslims can not wear necklaces. Look for necklaces. Many foreigners die in mysterious circumstances in Thailand. Do your research to find out how this happens and who is doing it. Thy shall not kill is a Muslim command. However, nothing is 100%, as one Malay Muslim told me it depends on the situation especially when being robbed at night etc. Of course with jihad this is different and personally I don't agree with it. You will find people who really believe in God whether it be Jews, Christians or Muslims, not myself, have a facial expression of really being at peace with the world. Look for this serene look. I have seen it in Christians, Jews and Muslims. However, from your accounts this serene look was something you did not see in Middle East Muslims, noted. When you find your wife in your house with another man and she tell you he is her brother that is another clue 555. Or when a man answers your wife's phone 555. Or when you see a bottle of whiskey. Or when your wife asks you to pay for a million baht in gambling debts. Or when you hear the buffalo has died and money is needed to replace it 555. And when there is relentless demands for money after you are married. Or when you are called a buffalo. All of these are tell tale signs that they are not Muslims.

I find your post to be quite offensive and derisive towards non muslim Thais. Your assertion that those that have religion have facial expressions indicative of being at peace is crap. Some would argue that the catonic state is due to other reasons. For every religious person that has such a facial expression there are those with no religious views that hyave the same look. And there are just as many religious people with nasty expressions on their faces.

Your comemnts suggest that you believe that only non muslims engage in deceit or improper acts. Would you like to know about the subject listing for Paradise in phuket? Take a guess at how many muslims are working in the gay bars? Although they try to conceal it, they often do maintain some views such as not eating pork. There are even quite a significant number of the kathoeys. It's not just the gay crowd, but many of the girls working the beer bars are from the south. Not every hooker comes from Issan despite your attempt to suggest that. Do you honestly think that only non muslims gamble or call their spouses kwai or ask for money?

Yes a man may have it easier with a wife if they are muslim, but that is the man's perspective. Do you honestly think that the woman has it easier with a muslim husband. You negect to mention the ease with which a male muslim can take another wife or visit a whore, all to the first wife's detriment. On and on it goes.

If you think that Thai muslims do not drink or use drugs, then you are very wrong. If that was the case, the number of muslims with alcohol or other drug related health issues, would not be reflective of the population. Sorry, but muslims do the same bad things as do non muslims, and in some cases they can present with puzzling sexually transmitted illnesses that begs the question of how the hell did they get the infection in that specific part of the body.

Agreed any man of any religion can pimp out their wife to farang for a fee unbeknown to the farang of course. Such is the desire for money. I know Muslims drink. I have drank with Muslims often - even non-bar girls. Girls who work in banks - they paid for their share of the whiskey and taxi fare. Drinking whiskey together. And as far as I know she did not have a bomb in her bag, neither had she blown up a church. How strange? The Arabs could take note of a more forgiving form of Islam which exists in Thailand. It was a great relief to come back from Malaysia. Edited by heiwa

]From my research these ten commandments are covered in the Qu'ran but not in one page. Who will pay? My God how costly is this mess at present? The sorrow-full faces that I saw were Muslilms - many have lost brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, fathers and mothers as the buddhists have. Buddhists are an extreme minority so I can not imagine many working for the government or teachers. I can not think of anything much sadder than tarring a whole group of people with the same brush. They once did this to the Jews. And some still do. 100 bombers out of 2 billion muslims? What about Timothy McVeigh. Do we say all Christians are bad because he was a bomber? Do we blame all Americans and Englisman because their country started war with Iraq on phony allegations. Of course we don't. We separate good and bad people. It is only logical. This war caused far more deaths than any Muslim bombers. Vietnam war. Death is all the same for the dead whoever the killer is. In the West we believe war deaths are perfectly fine. I fail to see the logic in this. Can not see any logic in anyone dying unnecessarily. Sadly usually is the profit motive - the root of all evil - some say. At any rate for Budhists and Muslims it is better for this to stop immediately and I hope the government is working on it. Yep, my god. I can read Thai and I can see that many of the number plates I see in Songkhla and Hat Yai are from Yala. Not exactly the place to spend Songkran. Perhaps its time to evacuate Buddhists and Muslims from the region with financial resettling incentives. Perhaps to Suratthani or above. Something has to be done. Do we just wait for 10,000 dead and 35,000 legless, armless and blind.

Mr. McVeigh did not carry out the bombing because of any Christian sentiments. His religious views, or lack thereof, were not implicated. In Thailand, the terror attacks are carried out in the name of Allah. The issue here is not Iraq, but of Thailand. If you believe the westerners are all crazy killers, ok, that's your opinion. However, the westerners are not implicated in Thailand, nor are Christians, Jews, Hindus, Bahais, Wiccans, Druids, or those that bel;ong to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti.

Why should Thais be forced to evacuate? Your proposal to create scores of refugees evokes memories of the division of India into two regions; One called India where an attempt to build a non sectarian society built upon law and democracy would be made and the other called Pakistan where only one religion would be tolerated and where it seem, an attempt to create a nation based upon a return to the bronze age as quickly as possible would be made. I note that India has one of the largest muslim populations in the world and this minority certainly has more rights and freedoms than non muslim groups in Pakistan have. The take away lesson from India is that basic civil rights and minority rights seem to do best under a non muslim dominated government. As such, the removal of the Buddhist population would only make life more difficult for the muslims as unforgiving harsh aspects of the rligion such as Sharia law would take hold.

Why should they forced to evacuate? I did not say force. I said volunitarily. Personally I feel the lives of their soldiers are worth more than its worth. I said Muslims and Buddhist to leave and let the rest who remain kill each other. I understand the situation would not be pretty for those who chose to remain. Perhaps they could return once there was no-one left after the last fight to the death. I can not see any sense in young Thai soldiers being blown up indefinitely. I would hope there is a better solution to this. What purpose does it serve to twist what I say. You must read more carefully before you reply. If you have a better solution please put forward it. I generally can tell peoples nationality just by looking at them - extremely keen sense of perception - so for many what I say would be very hard to understand. Buddhists have a different expression of sereneness. Anyway - granted - for those with very little sense of perception of emotions would think I am talking nonsense - drivel 555. It has been a hobby of a life-time to study facial expressions. Japanese have very serene expressions wheras Chinese generally have a very busy facial expression. I am not sitting here in judgement. Just observing. I do hope opinions are not illegal? Edited by heiwa