Out Of Province Registration

The Missus wants Bangkok plates on our new truck so wants to buy the truck in Bkk even though we are in NS.

(Reason: 'Cause 'they' say you will get pulled over less...)

Are there any downsides to doing this?

Is it going to make anything more difficult in the future? i.e. wasted trips to bkk to get some trivial admin task completed?

Problems with servicing or insurance? car passport?

thanks

You can renew the tax at any DLT and do other jobs like servicing etc at any Main Dealership

Slight downside is when you come to sell it, the vehicle is registered in Bkk so would have to go there for a name change .

Edited by PoolHustler

You can renew the tax at any DLT and do other jobs like servicing etc at any Main Dealership

Slight downside is when you come to sell it, the vehicle is registered in Bkk so would have to go there for a name change .

Yes but that can be easily done through an agent at minimal cost and inconvenience..

Go to an inspection station upon resale that will both inspect it and do the paper work transfer, easy as pie.. They'll also handle forwarding said paper work to the new owner once received 300 or 400b total fee..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I could be wrong but I remember reading somewhere on this forum that Bkk registered cars tend to fetch a higher resale value.

I asked this question last year and there wasn't a real definitive answer. However my GF had also heard this plus we were able to get a better deal in BKK than in Pattaya/Chonburi/Rayong - more extras plus a little more discount.

Yes but that can be easily done through an agent at minimal cost and inconvenience..

Go to an inspection station upon resale that will both inspect it and do the paper work transfer, easy as pie.. They'll also handle forwarding said paper work to the new owner once received 300 or 400b total fee..

I think that agents fee will be nearer to 3,000 baht than 300 baht

Consider this: Name change on 125cc scooter at the correct DLT with the bike present is nearly 300 baht

Thanks guys.

Just a thought, it may not matter but a bit the other way round, my daughters car bought in Bangkok she couldn't have Bangkok plates as that was not where she lives and it has to be registered in the book at her home address and the plates issued at our local DLT.

Personally I would check out first at the DLT whether it can be done if you so wish to do.:)

Thanks guys.

Just a thought, it may not matter but a bit the other way round, my daughters car bought in Bangkok she couldn't have Bangkok plates as that was not where she lives and it has to be registered in the book at her home address and the plates issued at our local DLT.

Personally I would check out first at the DLT whether it can be done if you so wish to do.smile.png

Kwasaki that seems strange as we have BKK plates - but the garage organised it all and I presume it is registered to our address in Chonburi?

Kwasaki that seems strange as we have BKK plates - but the garage organised it all and I presume it is registered to our address in Chonburi?

Well as I said OP should check before making the journey, ours was three years ago and we are in Sukhothai quite a way from Bangkok, so things may of changed or it was suggested to be better for my daughter to do that at the time. :)

Does Chonburi have there own number plates or do they use Bangkok ones as it's right next door. ?

I could be wrong but I remember reading somewhere on this forum that Bkk registered cars tend to fetch a higher resale value.

I asked this question last year and there wasn't a real definitive answer. However my GF had also heard this plus we were able to get a better deal in BKK than in Pattaya/Chonburi/Rayong - more extras plus a little more discount.

I seriously doubt there's any price breaks on (say) a Bangkok registered car that has been thrashed on Highway 9 ringroad races or overcooked in daily rush-hour Sukhumvit gridlock versus the (say) Isaan registered car that habitually is forced to pull away in 2nd gear or misses the recommended servicing intervals.

Having said that, with options to drive a few miles in Bangkok to solicit a better deal from another dealer versus only one, maybe two dealerships within easy reach in the boonies, I would say a better 'deal' may be had in the Big Mango.