Restaurants In Chiang Mai

rebelplatoon

I thought about the whole premise in this topic some more yesterday, and I realized that while the absolute world class top-end is mostly absent (as there's no viable, consistently year-round market), it wasn't THAT long ago that the mid-range that's so ubiquitous today also wasn't here.

This dawned on me while having breakfast at the coffee and sandwich shop at the Nim Airport (Rim Ping Airport) complex (called Dailycious: http://www.nimcityda...knowledge&id=36 ) , over a greek salad, a grilled cheese panini and decent espresso in a nice airconditioned, modern cafe.

15-20 years ago I suppose the old JJ's at the Montri hotel would have qualified to be in that mid range spot, but there were VERY few of those places. Now they're everywhere.

So I don't think there's any doubt the true top end will make it to Chiang Mai too, in bigger numbers and with more consistency in what they offer. It's a matter of time, seeing how fast the city grows, expands and matures.

It's all good.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

They might have a shop with abnormal size shoes. Perhaps you might want to consider a tailor who can make large trousers.

Who knows maybe it will have a specialty shop there such as the big and tall back home,

Shoes well they are a different animal I doubt Chiang Mai could support a shoe store specializing in size 13 triple e.

Abnormal shoe sizes, specialty shops......do you know something about me that I don't?

I'm 6' tall, a 42" Chest (un-expanded of course), 34" waist and size 101/2 shoes 2E fit UK.

I usually replace my gear straight off the rail as I visit UK or Canada at least annually.

And I also have no problems down under.

Thanks for the suggestion of a tailor, I would never have thought of that.

After having lived in Chiang Mai and repeatedly having excellent food, beer, etc in great ambiance local Thai restaurants, I do choke when I have to spend 3-4x in a western restaurant. Its a nice "once in awhile treat" but I really enjoy Thai food and dont feel as is I am missing anything by not spending the 3-4x more

Last night with 3 friends we had several brilliant fish, great soup and a few chicken dishes along with about 15 local Thai beers and spent 250 baht each. It was a great time. I just think once you appreciate the value of the baht and how far it goes if you "eat/ drink like a local" then you do automatically think twice about running to a western establishment.

great answer

charlie

As I have said many times in the past, Chiang Mai is in desperate need of an injection of vibrant new life.

I see Chiang Mai as only being but a shadow of it`s former self and what remains has been left to stagnant and to fall into decline.

I speak from experience as one of the longer-term ex-pats. I am sure that the dwindling tourists figures will back up my statement.

Many Thai people have told me that they believe this state of affairs is political and the downgrading of Chiang Mai as a tourist destination has been deliberate. My policeman son has told me that the granting of business licenses for new entertainment venues, such as bars, discos and restaurants have been highly restricted; so don’t expect to see any major new entertainment developments within the town soon.

For those that prefer the town and what’s already there just the way it is, that’s good because it`s either like it or lump it, as there is no other choices in Chiang Mai.

Over the years many of my family and friends from abroad that used visit Thailand each year are now giving Chiang Mai a miss when they come over and prefer to visit places like Phuket and more Southwards because they believe there is more to do and is better value. I have to agree with them.

Do your friends speak Russian?

Who cares, as long as they keep moving on. Pattaya is a calling.

As I have said many times in the past, Chiang Mai is in desperate need of an injection of vibrant new life.

I see Chiang Mai as only being but a shadow of it`s former self and what remains has been left to stagnant and to fall into decline.

I speak from experience as one of the longer-term ex-pats. I am sure that the dwindling tourists figures will back up my statement.

Many Thai people have told me that they believe this state of affairs is political and the downgrading of Chiang Mai as a tourist destination has been deliberate. My policeman son has told me that the granting of business licenses for new entertainment venues, such as bars, discos and restaurants have been highly restricted; so don’t expect to see any major new entertainment developments within the town soon.

For those that prefer the town and what’s already there just the way it is, that’s good because it`s either like it or lump it, as there is no other choices in Chiang Mai.

Over the years many of my family and friends from abroad that used visit Thailand each year are now giving Chiang Mai a miss when they come over and prefer to visit places like Phuket and more Southwards because they believe there is more to do and is better value. I have to agree with them.

This post is incredible!! More to do in phuket and down south?? I can't imagine any small city in the world with more to do than chiang mai. No choices in chiang mai??? This is unreal!

In addition i find myself meeting many of the tourists/travelers that come to chiang mai at the end of their holiday for a few days who all say what a pity it is that they didn't allot more time to chiang mai. The place has so far grown well, my big fear is that it may convert itself into a mega city like bangkok.

Things to do in chiang mai?

Chess clubs, photography clubs, walking clubs, cycling clubs, trekking, elephant riding, rafting, meals by lakes or the river, hotsprings, caves, massage, spas, saunas, parks, outstanding and often very healthy restaurants and cafes, great variety in pubs and bars and drinking places, cooking courses, yoga, tai chi, jewellery making courses, markets, riverside strolling, hot air ballooning, go-karting, walking streets, temples and meditation, waterfalls galore, the list just goes on and on an on.

About the only thing chiang mai hasn't got is a seaside.

There is just so much to do and see in this town. The variety is stunning, and the prices allow for all people, poor or rich alike to have fun here.

You simply must have been joking with what you said there.

I agree. I meet tourists all the time who love the place and many come back year after year One man's meat and all that. smile.png

Yeah, but it seems that chiang mai is just about never poison!

Never mind tourists, living here makes me feel very lucky.

I often say to people that in my opinion bangkok is the food capital of the world, mainly because for me thai food is the best, but clearly also because of the variety of other kinds of foods. But chiang mai itself must be one of the top healthy eating spots in the world, and most definitely rates better than anywhere i've been in thailand.