Restaurants In Chiang Mai

rebelplatoon

Just been to Bangkok and ate at an Irish pub in soi 11.

Isn't it funny how people (and sometimes the same people as in Chiang Mai that eat there...) don't complain at all over there, they were asking

about 800B for -I must say- a great steak. They had 7 different beers on draught and for pretty steep prices too. I wish we could develop

Chiang Mai into a city where people that love great food and drinks would be able and willing to spent and enjoy these kind of eateries.

I am not talking Le Crystal or whatever but just great meeting points with an excellent atmosphere and likewise food.

Are we too Gee Nieo?

Rebel

After having lived in Chiang Mai and repeatedly having excellent food, beer, etc in great ambiance local Thai restaurants, I do choke when I have to spend 3-4x in a western restaurant. Its a nice "once in awhile treat" but I really enjoy Thai food and dont feel as is I am missing anything by not spending the 3-4x more

Last night with 3 friends we had several brilliant fish, great soup and a few chicken dishes along with about 15 local Thai beers and spent 250 baht each. It was a great time. I just think once you appreciate the value of the baht and how far it goes if you "eat/ drink like a local" then you do automatically think twice about running to a western establishment.

Edited by PlanetX
  • Like 1

Thank you. It's just an idea to build this city to the effect that we get the possibility to bring it to another level. And yes I agree having Thai food in a great ambiance is also possible but the argument is for the sake of it: How about being able to bring farang food to a Bangkok level? I just spoke to a friend who actually travels to Bangkok to enjoy great food. That should never be an issue in a grand city like ours. Must admit he's a connoiseur and chef himself.

Thank you. It's just an idea to build this city to the effect that we get the possibility to bring it to another level. And yes I agree having Thai food in a great ambiance is also possible but the argument is for the sake of it: How about being able to bring farang food to a Bangkok level? I just spoke to a friend who actually travels to Bangkok to enjoy great food. That should never be an issue in a grand city like ours. Must admit he's a connoiseur and chef himself.

I think that you have it backwards, it's Bangkok that has a problem in that arena not Chiang Mai. I guess that it depends upon which restaurants one happens to find in each city. But I don't think that the farang food is better in Bangkok, it's merely more expensive. At Irish Pubs like the one that you mentioned, the ones in Bangkok generally charge as much for a pint of Heineken as what places in Chiang Mai charge for a pint of Guinness. Same thing with the food - burgers in Bangkok cost as much as steak in Chiang Mai.

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

The issue is that I saw people from Chiang Mai there and THEN it's not a problem. But when it's here it is a problem. Yes there are many good places but let's be frank a really good steak is hard to get and I don't mean the steak where you have to cut off fat and the ones that do not slice like it's butter. THOSE steaks cost even in Chiang Mai 700-800 B and people complain.

The issue is that I saw people from Chiang Mai there and THEN it's not a problem. But when it's here it is a problem. Yes there are many good places but let's be frank a really good steak is hard to get and I don't mean the steak where you have to cut off fat and the ones that do not slice like it's butter. THOSE steaks cost even in Chiang Mai 700-800 B and people complain.

So is the "problem" you perceive related to the the quality of frang food in Chiang Mai or that people gripe about the prices despite it being cheaper than in Bangkok? When people from Chiang Mai go to Bangkok they pay the higher prices because that's the going rate locally, not because the don't think it's a problem. In almost every case that I can think of with directly comparable "farang" menu items in BKK in CNX, it's more expensive in Bangkok. If the UN Irish Pub starting charging 400 baht per a burger and 200 baht for a pint of Heineken as similar places in BKK do, would that be progress?

Edited by OriginalPoster

You seem to be the only one with "the problem". Everyone else knows where to get things. Try and look around a bit more.

Baan Rai is one place, Yummy Pizza another, and the list goes on. Take your blinkers off, it may help.

I think what the OP's point is that Bangkok has a larger and more mature high-end market, for people who don't really care if they spend 200 baht or 2000 baht on a meal, in the same way that we don't really care much if we spend 20 baht or 200 baht on a meal.

There are a handful of high-end places in Chiang Mai, but clearly Bangkok has a bigger high-end international scene. That's not going to change in a hurry. And I think most people won't feel overly sad about that; when you feel like splurging you just fly to BKK, Hong Kong or Singapore. I've had steaks in Tokyo that you really, REALLY wouldn't find in Chiang Mai at any price. But that market just isn't here. What IS here is 70-80% of that level, at 20-30%(*) of the price. And I appreciate that.

[Disclaimer: *Percentages grabbed out of thin air. But you get what I mean.]

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There are high end eating holes in Chiang Mai if you really want to go there, but why bother when there is so much yummy local food available at sensible prices. As for steaks; who needs them? The only really good steaks I've ever had were in the US and Brazil. Overated meat dish in my opinion.

There are high end eating holes in Chiang Mai if you really want to go there, but why bother when there is so much yummy local food available at sensible prices. As for steaks; who needs them? The only really good steaks I've ever had were in the US and Brazil. Overated meat dish in my opinion.

Spend around 250 baht on a rib eye steak from Rimping and grill it yourself. As good as you would get in Aussie.

Spend around 250 baht on a rib eye steak from Rimping and grill it yourself. As good as you would get in Aussie.

I'll second that. 250B will buy you 300g of nice Oz T-bone at Rimping, super nice.

• Like 1

It's all about 'value for money' and not 'I went there last night'.

People here want the best food for the least money. I rarely spend more than 1K on food for 2 person. Typically around the 700 range, and that's for 2 people!!!

In Bangkok you can barely get a decent meal for that, might have to spend around 30% more in the BKK.

The customer base in CM is just not on par with BKK.

Too few and certainly not enough Big spenders on expense accounts in CM, BKK have Too Much.

john

Lots of good meals available in CM.

True, so true. Smaller customer base, and people don't do 'business lunch' at all. Typically it's "sit, order, eat, leave".

I don't know if you have tried Pern's Restaurant on Huay Kaew Rd. It is on the north side of Huay Kaew about 250m NW of Kad Suan Kaew shopping center. I have not eaten steak there. I stick more to fish and chicken. I have eaten there several times and the food quality has been good each time, IMO. Unfortunately it is closed right now for the holidays.

Also right next door is The Salsa Kitchen for those that want some Mexican food. Try their San Francisco Mission Burito. Good and big. Before huge arguments start about "authentic" Mexican food, I will say that though I am not an expert on Mexican food, I do know that there are different styles of Mexican food from different regions. I like the food at The Salsa Kitchen. Others may not. It's OK!!

As I have said many times in the past, Chiang Mai is in desperate need of an injection of vibrant new life.

I see Chiang Mai as only being but a shadow of it`s former self and what remains has been left to stagnant and to fall into decline.

I speak from experience as one of the longer-term ex-pats. I am sure that the dwindling tourists figures will back up my statement.

Many Thai people have told me that they believe this state of affairs is political and the downgrading of Chiang Mai as a tourist destination has been deliberate. My policeman son has told me that the granting of business licenses for new entertainment venues, such as bars, discos and restaurants have been highly restricted; so don’t expect to see any major new entertainment developments within the town soon.

For those that prefer the town and what’s already there just the way it is, that’s good because it`s either like it or lump it, as there is no other choices in Chiang Mai.

Over the years many of my family and friends from abroad that used visit Thailand each year are now giving Chiang Mai a miss when they come over and prefer to visit places like Phuket and more Southwards because they believe there is more to do and is better value. I have to agree with them.

As I have said many times in the past, Chiang Mai is in desperate need of an injection of vibrant new life.

I see Chiang Mai as only being but a shadow of it`s former self and what remains has been left to stagnant and to fall into decline.

I speak from experience as one of the longer-term ex-pats. I am sure that the dwindling tourists figures will back up my statement.

Many Thai people have told me that they believe this state of affairs is political and the downgrading of Chiang Mai as a tourist destination has been deliberate. My policeman son has told me that the granting of business licenses for new entertainment venues, such as bars, discos and restaurants have been highly restricted; so don’t expect to see any major new entertainment developments within the town soon.

For those that prefer the town and what’s already there just the way it is, that’s good because it`s either like it or lump it, as there is no other choices in Chiang Mai.

Over the years many of my family and friends from abroad that used visit Thailand each year are now giving Chiang Mai a miss when they come over and prefer to visit places like Phuket and more Southwards because they believe there is more to do and is better value. I have to agree with them.

You are always negative and don't have your facts straight. C.M. is vibrant and is growing like crazy. Ever taken a drive around to see all the new shopping centers, condominiums, krongan baans, restaurants, night clubs, etc. under major construction? Dwindling tourist numbers? Quite the opposite. Wealthy Korean, Japanese, and Chinese tourists are arriving by the many, many busloads and spending a lot of money here. Wealthy Thais from Bangkok have bought homes here and are spending quite a bit of time and money here. Thais from all over Thailand are coming on holiday. I can't even imagine how much money was made here during what - 3 months? of Royal Flora.

• Like 1

Yes, except that there are no dwindling tourist figures, just every increasing ones. Look at all the flights into CNX now compared to any time in the past of your choosing.

I think the decline may be in your perception, not in what's actually going on in town.

The simple fact is that CM is not a metropolis. It will never bee. It will never have the infrastructure to cater to a high volume high end market. BKK is so close that it really isn't worth it for people to invest in creating a high brow existence. Look at fashion CM city is a few years behind BKK and people are a lot more casual here. Go 10 min. out any direction to one of the smaller towns sarapi, hangdong, sangkapaeng etc. People's fashion are 20 years past.

There is enough room for a few high end high cost establishments. Just this year a luxury car showroom opened up in replace of the old ford one. However in BKK there are literally dozens of them.

Personally, I like CM the way that it is and find enough of the midrange 3 star quality places that keep me happy enough. If I want 5 star I will go to HK, SIngapore.

My regret here is the lack of quality cultural events. Theater, Dance recitals, Art exhibitions/museums, and music. Smaller towns are usually never as robust for culture as metropolitan areas, but other places in the world typically have more for a city this size.

I think Beetle most live in a very insular environment no matter how long term he thinks he is. Living someplace a 100 years doesn't give you perspective if you only stay within your same lifestyle and circle.

The simple fact is that CM is not a metropolis. It will never bee. It will never have the infrastructure to cater to a high volume high end market. BKK is so close that it really isn't worth it for people to invest in creating a high brow existence. Look at fashion CM city is a few years behind BKK and people are a lot more casual here. Go 10 min. out any direction to one of the smaller towns sarapi, hangdong, sangkapaeng etc. People's fashion are 20 years past.

There is enough room for a few high end high cost establishments. Just this year a luxury car showroom opened up in replace of the old ford one. However in BKK there are literally dozens of them.

Personally, I like CM the way that it is and find enough of the midrange 3 star quality places that keep me happy enough. If I want 5 star I will go to HK, SIngapore.

My regret here is the lack of quality cultural events. Theater, Dance recitals, Art exhibitions/museums, and music. Smaller towns are usually never as robust for culture as metropolitan areas, but other places in the world typically have more for a city this size.

I think Beetle most live in a very insular environment no matter how long term he thinks he is. Living someplace a 100 years doesn't give you perspective if you only stay within your same lifestyle and circle.

I agree with this completely. But there is more than one luxury car showroom that has opened in the last year. There have been about 1/2 a dozen to open that I have seen. More are under construction.

I like C.M. the way it is too but agree that more cultural events like tolstoy mentioned are needed. I'm surprised there isn't more.

You are kidding right? Glass half empty perhaps.

I have many workmates moving here at the moment who have all lived "down south" for eons. They love CM and everything in it, as they have said it has everything when you know how to find it.

Perhaps the negatives just miss the moment in time when they believed the girl next to them loved them and rainbows were above their heads. Time rolls on, and on and on.

Do your friends speak Russian?

I agree with this completely. But there is more than one luxury car showroom that has opened in the last year. There have been about 1/2 a dozen to open that I have seen. More are under construction.

I like C.M. the way it is too but agree that more cultural events like tolstoy mentioned are needed. I'm surprised there isn't more.

I believe there is a new Mall Paragon I believe. It is under construction now and the original perspective was towards higher end shops.

Of course some times the end product looks different than the original idea,

I believe there is a new Mall Paragon I believe. It is under construction now and the original perspective was towards higher end shops.

What's the point of higher end shops if you still can't buy decent size shoes or trousers that don't cut your goolies in half?

PS. Restaurant related, coz you can't enjoy a meal when the hardware is being squeezed.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

What's the point of higher end shops if you still can't buy decent size shoes or trousers that don't cut your goolies in half?

PS. Restaurant related, coz you can't enjoy a meal when the hardware is being squeezed.

They might have a shop with abnormal size shoes. Perhaps you might want to consider a tailor who can make large trousers.

Who knows maybe it will have a specialty shop there such as the big and tall back home,

Shoes well they are a different animal I doubt Chiang Mai could support a shoe store specializing in size 13 triple e.

'...CM is not a metropolis. It will never be....

'My regret here is the lack of quality cultural events. Theater, Dance recitals, Art exhibitions/museums, and music. Smaller towns are usually never as robust for culture as metropolitan areas, but other places in the world typically have more for a city this size.' ~ Tolstoy

I have some doubts about #1, though I won't be here to see it, unless BKK drowns.

Line #2 above, of course, represents the greatest loss involved in deciding to live here, for some of us, though it's not as if the universities did not provide some good fun, Payap for music and CMU for other arts. What with the expansion of e-books (all of Tolstoy is free), I don't miss my native libraries (which 'borrow' titles that they don't have from the entire state) quite as much. But for me, it makes for a big gap and meanwhile adds somewhat to the cost of living here, but not so much that it's not easy to live here, comfortably, on the cheap.

And this includes a myriad of restaurants and street eateries. It only requires an adventuresome eater to thrive here. Learn to enjoy soup, goop (chopped and crushed ingredients, with a meat or fish, to eat with rice), dip (for sticky rice), or salad (rather akin to our chicken or seafood salads, often, with some heat added) and CM becomes an eater's paradise. Fish and chips and burgers indeed.

Edited by CMX