Russel Viper

Aforek

Hello

do you think there are russel viper around Cha am ? ( ngoo maeo sao )

This morning, when doing my jogging in Cha am forest park, I have seen just on the path a snake that I think is a russel viper ;

it was not agressive but what looking at me with attention and no fear ( about 2 meters from me ) ; I prefered to change my way : big snake, more than one meter long

i know already this very dangerous snake in Chachoengsao province, but i didn't think there was some in this part of Thailand

it was similar to this one ( http://www.siam-info...ain_daboia.html) and i wonder if you have ever met some ?

When i look at the map, it may be one because it shows there are some in this part of Thailand

Thanks

Yes, I looked pictures and videos of Malayan pit viper, and I think it was this one; in this link http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/front-fanged/malayan-pit-viper-venomous-very-dangerous/, they say " Malayan Pit Vipers don’t get out of the way when they sense someone coming".

exactly what happen : it didn't go away; now that I think about it, I was crazy to approach it ( first, I only saw it's tail , and I thought It was dead ) so near ( 2 meters ) ; I think one step more, and it would attack me; I'll never do it again...

We live on a large lot that is surrounded by empty grown up fields mostly and have been living here for eight years. In that time I've been forced to deal with a lot of snakes including cobras, but by far the most common one I've found in our garden is the Malayan Pit Viper and yes, they are about the only one that doesn't flee from humans. They usually sit in a coil under the edge of a bush or some other concealed area waiting for prey to happen by (like frogs or mice). I've come very close to them and they will not flee and if you accidentally come too close they will strike. Statistically speaking it is the poisonous snake responsible for more bites in South Asia than any other for that reason.

Here's a photo of one I took sitting in a water drain beside my house... (double click it to see a larger image)

post-10734-0-72747900-1334372196_thumb.j

Edited by hhfarang