Pajero Sport View Questions

NieTan

Im looking to buy a new car. I quite like the pajero sport, but there are also some thing what i dont like about it!

The engine its only a 2.5l tdi with limited power. So when i buy it i want to chip it for some more power.

Now i found out that the auto gearbox is limited to handle only 350nm?? So its mean that its not worth to chip it?

Second i like the car only with some big shoes on it! Would prefer 22 inch but 20 inch its fine also when its not reconmended.

Does anybody know if the car still handles fine with those big shoes? And then is there the problem with the aux ipod input, seems to be quite dificult to connect an external device to the main system? Some more driving experience about the car is welcome as i still cant decide. Fortuner and trailblazer are to expensive to me for what u get. Actually i was waiting for the ranger wildtrak, but have to wait a decade now!

• Like 1

I have a Pajero Sport and I like it, in my opinion it has sufficient power 178 HP.

There many posts here on Chipping a PJS, just use the Forum Search Engine.

About connecting the iPod, I just went to a shop which is specialized in car stereos and they installed it for me in less then 5 Minutes. (I went to Boy Air & Sound in Pattaya)

I love that car, it drives really nice and is also economical in Fuel (When i drive to Buriram I easily get 11-12 km a liter) even when flooring it on the Chokchai to Nang Rong stretch

My understanding of the gearbox issue and the 350nm of torque is not that you can't chip the ECU for greater torque, but with greater torque you may get slippage in the transmission under hard acceleration. As MJCM has noted there are several threads on this topic already. I also have the PJS and agree with MJCM that the 178HP and 350nm is pretty much sufficient anyway. Mine is predominantly used as the family workhorse, and it is not as if it stops and turns like a sports car so more power may not always be the best solution, particularly with the missus at the helm.

AUX integration as also straight forward. Any Alpine shop should be able to get for you and install the KCA-121B cable. I think for about 1,000 baht I bought the cable and had it installed, and then added the additional cable to connect my phone and other accessories. Straight forward and works fine.

I have had my PJS 2WD GT since early March, prior to that I did a fair bit of driving in a 4WD GT, and just recently on a project outside of Thailand had the new model Fortuner but with the 4 litre V6 from Indonesia. Of these the 2WD PJS is a smoother and better drive than the 4WD, and whilst the Fortuner is at least a match for the PJS in drive and handling, it is really quite a way behind on interior function and versatility.

I bought mine purely on the grounds of utility more than expecting any great driving joy, but I have certainly enjoyed the vehicle so far. Does a great job of all the family chores as well as loading and unloading loads of kids and other baggage. It has just made the long trip up-country with 7 on board and no complaints on power, space, or comfort. All in all, so far so good and we have also had a good experience with the dealership and service.

• Like 1

Tnx for replies, is there a topic specially for chiptune 2.5 pjs 178 hp then?? I cant found it.

Only post from the old 2.5 and 3.2. For me the 178hp is not enough power im quite sure about that.

Back in europe i drove cars with much more power, and i prefer to have a car with some power here as well.

So for the ipod connection idont need to worry anymore!

there will be a 3 litre soon

from motor show this month

The coming of the Trailblazer has also pushed competitors like Mitsubishi to upgrade the Pajero Sport, which is now also available with a 3-litre MIVEC engine capable of producing as much as 219hp. It comes with a five-speed automatic transmission and is priced at Bt1.3 million. The Pajero Sport 3.0 will be in showrooms in June.

there will be a 3 litre soon

from motor show this month

The coming of the Trailblazer has also pushed competitors like Mitsubishi to upgrade the Pajero Sport, which is now also available with a 3-litre MIVEC engine capable of producing as much as 219hp. It comes with a five-speed automatic transmission and is priced at Bt1.3 million. The Pajero Sport 3.0 will be in showrooms in June.

I've read a bit about the 3.0 from overseas articles. it sounds quite heavy on fuel, and will cost a lot more to run than the 2.5 diesel. To me they should have upgraded the 2.5 to a larger diesel, giving much more HP and torque. I'm sure some will but the 3.0, as it should be a smooth ride, but it will lack the torque of the smaller diesel.

The 3L is not what im looking for. Need diesel power with some great nm!

And its not that i dont like the car, but before i buy it i want be sure if the car fit's all my wishes.

Its not a candy bar what u buy in the 7-11. Im still big fan of the trailblazer but the price is a bit high to me.

Would like to hear some experience of chiped pjs owners, specially 2.5 178 hp 5 speed model.

• 2 weeks later...

Nie Tan, I have a 2011 PJS with 20" wheels and Yokohama Prada X tyres. I like the bigger wheels and tyres, they didn't reduce ride quality and steering feel and response is much better compared to the OEM wheels and tyres, plus they look heaps better, (IMO).

Overall I reckon the PJS is good. The engine does an impressive job of hauling 2 tonnes around but it is not the most responsive car. The 2.5L VG Turbo engine can be a bit loud when working hard and the combination of Turbo lag and the auto trans can make the car slow to respond sometimes, especially if driving agressively in city conditions. Swapping the catalytic converter with a dump pipe helps reduce this a bit.

I am also interested in perfomance chips, especially if the turbo lag could be reduced. I have not experimented with any yet as I suspect there is a reason why Mitsubishi and others derate the auto versions to 350Nm. If more power was added the brakes and suspension would probably need some attention. I agree with your comments about the V6 version. It will probably be smoother but the extra power will be offset by the reduced torque and it will be a serious petrol eater.

I assume Mitsubishi still use the same Alpine DVA-9861 like in my 4wd GT. These sound OK and the Ipod cables are available if you are an Apple fan. But if you want to play files from USB sticks or connect your phone via bluetooth you will be disappointed. The DVA-9861 is an old model and the Alpine dealers I spoke to could not get many of the accessories for this unit any more. There are other solutions like swapping the screen and facia to suit a newer 2DIN model if you want additional features (at a price).

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Nie Tan, I have a 2011 PJS with 20" wheels and Yokohama Prada X tyres. I like the bigger wheels and tyres, they didn't reduce ride quality and steering feel and response is much better compared to the OEM wheels and tyres, plus they look heaps better, (IMO).

Overall I reckon the PJS is good. The engine does an impressive job of hauling 2 tonnes around but it is not the most responsive car. The 2.5L VG Turbo engine can be a bit loud when working hard and the combination of Turbo lag and the auto trans can make the car slow to respond sometimes, especially if driving agressively in city conditions. Swapping the catalytic converter with a dump pipe helps reduce this a bit.

I am also interested in perfomance chips, especially if the turbo lag could be reduced. I have not experimented with any yet as I suspect there is a reason why Mitsubishi and others derate the auto versions to 350Nm. If more power was added the brakes and suspension would probably need some attention. I agree with your comments about the V6 version. It will probably be smoother but the extra power will be offset by the reduced torque and it will be a serious petrol eater.

I assume Mitsubishi still use the same Alpine DVA-9861 like in my 4wd GT. These sound OK and the Ipod cables are available if you are an Apple fan. But if you want to play files from USB sticks or connect your phone via bluetooth you will be disappointed. The DVA-9861 is an old model and the Alpine dealers I spoke to could not get many of the accessories for this unit any more. There are other solutions like swapping the screen and facia to suit a newer 2DIN model if you want additional features (at a price).

Good luck with what ever you choose.

I am considering installing 20" wheels with Yokohama Prada X tires and appreciate your initial evaluation. I was really concerned about the lost of ride quality if I installed tires that have so much less sidewall rubber than the OEM tires, until I read your post.

Can you share more info about your experience with the ride quality of these wheels on your Pajero? Also, do you happen to have any wheel (brand) buying and installation tips? Did you notice any other differences in your vehicle's handling and braking capabilities after installing your 20"ers? How many km have you put on these tires? What type of roads have you driven on? Have you been on any long trips with these tires? Have you upgraded your shock absorbers or any other suspension components?

Just put a deposit on the pajero sport 2wd GT pearl white.

Order it in bkk as they gave me more freebees and a shorter delevery time.

Freebees what a get with 40% down and 1,99% 48 months plan:

Rust protection, 3m film, carpet mats, rubber mats,1 yr first class insurence, diamond waranty 5 yr, special key,

11 time free service check, road assistance and some other small freebees.

Hope will be happy with my choice. Can u post some pictures of your car with the 20" rims?

Now i have to decide the color of the window films, i think about normal black all around 60% and front window 40%.

Is this dark enough from the outside and still good to drive by night?

Congratulations Nie Tan on your new ride, (car)! clap2.gif I like your 'freebies' pkg, especially the free rust protection and the 5 year warranty! About window tints, 3M is definitely the way to go.

I wonder if there are any criteria, ratings or guidelines for after market wheels and rims, eg., like that for tires, that we can look to to help choose a good quality-performance 20" wheel to match our SUVs?

Edited by luwahn

Rust protection, 3m film, carpet mats, rubber mats,1 yr first class insurence, diamond waranty 5 yr, special key,

Hope will be happy with my choice. Can u post some pictures of your car with the 20" rims?

Now i have to decide the color of the window films, i think about normal black all around 60% and front window 40%.

Are there any major differences between the 4wd and 2wd models, apart from the obvious? There's a major price difference.

Also check with mitsubishi that the 20" wheels don't void any part of your warranty.

The 3L is not what im looking for. Need diesel power with some great nm!

And its not that i dont like the car, but before i buy it i want be sure if the car fit's all my wishes.

Its not a candy bar what u buy in the 7-11. Im still big fan of the trailblazer but the price is a bit high to me.

Would like to hear some experience of chiped pjs owners, specially 2.5 178 hp 5 speed model.

I've had a 3.2 lt GT 4x4 for over 2 yrs now and done 82,000k's so far. I fitted a SPEEDKIT Chip Box to it some time ago. It is the top or the range model with a Wireless Remote Control Unit that is mounted on the dashboard. This unit allows you to turn on the Extra Power whenever you need it or turn it off and run as standard when crusing on the highway etc. It has various settings operated by the remote, you can choose either 10%, 20% 30% on the ECO setting or 30% non economy full power. This translates to either 10Hp, 20Hp or 30Hp at the press of a button and when you want better mileage you simple hit the OFF button. Cost is 12,000 Baht. These are available from the German Manufacturer in Pattaya direct, if you want his Number, PM me. After he fitted mine on my return 800kl journey home i initially noticed some slip with the gear changes but he explained that the computer whould learn and adjust by itself and this would rectify itself and it did, in fact the gear changes are much crisper when the unit is turned on than in the standard mode but i usually drive the box manually and change at 4,000 RPM to eliminate the dragged out change if you are pushing it to the rev limit in Auto mode. The 5 speed box should be even better i would think. I recently had my major 80,000 Kl service and decided to leave the unit installed to see what would be said but they didn't even notice it probably due to where i positioned it at the front behind the passenger side headlight to get more cool air to it and when they were to go for the test drive after the service i simply put my hand in through the window and hit the OFF button and away they went none the wiser. NO voided warranty. This also applies to fitting Big Wheels and Tyres, It can void your warranty on the Drivetrain if they so desire so depending on where you are located and the Service Manager etc. I always get excellent service as a couple of times a year i will drop in on a Friday afternoon late with a box of Cold Leo, Glasses and Ice and sit down with the guys and have a beer, it all helps in the long run. Also i got 80,000 k's out of my origional tyres and then fitted Michilin Latitude Cross tyres to the Standard 17 in wheels and they have double the grip of the standard bridgestones and with a higher speed rating for safety, 7,500 baht each and made in Poland not Thailand. I think the Pajero is a great machine and i hope this has been of some help to you. Good Luck.
  • Like 1

Are there any major differences between the 4wd and 2wd models, apart from the obvious? There's a major price difference.

Also check with mitsubishi that the 20" wheels don't void any part of your warranty.

Nie Tan - also congratulations on your new vehicle to come. I have the 3M film on my PJS, in the normal black with 60/40. It seems fine and does a good job keeping the heat down and as far as I am concerned looks fine. You certainly wouldn't want to go any darker as this is already plenty dark enough at night and if any darker I am sure the boys in brown would show far too much interest in your window shading. The only thing I can think of that may be missing from your list of freebies would be the reversing camera as in most cases this seems to be also included in the freebies. May as well try for it if you can.

Regarding the difference between the 2WD & 4WD (other than price & the obvious), in the 2011 model and prior the 4WD included the 5 speed auto and paddle shifters whereas the 2WD made do with the 4 speed. With the new 2012 model the only difference remains the price, 4WD system itself, and I think the rear spoiler is standard in the 4WD. I have tried both and the 2WD is a better drive as long as you are not heading for the bush..

Nie Tan, MRO posted some good info on PJS tyre options some time ago. My Yokohamas are 275/55x20 as shown below. These have a slightly higher sidewall / larger diameter than the more common 265/50x20 size. They fill out the guards nicely but front clearance is tight on wheels with standard PJS offset. Slightly more positive offset may be worth considering for wider tyres but I did not want to experiment.

I have done about 25,000 km with these on country roads, highways and rocky / steep gravel roads and occasionally in BKK or Pattaya traffic. The Yokohamas have more grip than the standard Bridgestones and do not feel as hard. I don't notice the small bumps as much and can brake harder before ABS kicks in. The Yokohamas made the steering sharper and eliminated some on centre vagueness with the Bridgestones. I can feel what the front wheels are doing much better. My tyres are around half worn now. So far no rock damage to rims or sidewalls, only minor punctures, (not unusual where I drive). One small disadvantage in dirty or wet conditions, the 10mm wider tyres with a more square profile tends to throw mud roster tails over the side of the car, especially noticable on the white paint.

I notice the ride and steering of a friends Fortuner with the same OEM Bridgestones is not as good as my PJS with Yokohamas. However the Fortuner engine is smoother, quieter and has better low speed response though.

The PJS standard suspension is a little soft and under damped for higher speeds but stiffer or more damping would not help on the rough roads I drive on, so I have not changed anything. I will probably upgrade to better quality dampers on replacement.

DJH77's post on the Speedkit is interesting. There are more posts under "Cheap Diesel Perfomance" or something similar. If you go this way, take care on low speed corners on slippery bitumen or loose gravel. Wind up the turbo and some diesel torque + cornering weight transfer with the relatively high C.G. and the open rear diff will spin the inside rear wheel easily. Can be fun or inconvenient depending on the situation.

IMO Matt Black film looks good with the white PJS. I have 40% front / 60% side window film like you mention and it is a good compromise but I would not want any darker. My dealer threw in dark side window shields and with the 60% side window film and the chunky PJS front column front right quarter visibility needs care in intersections at night.

Have fun with your new car.

Nie Tan, MRO posted some good info on PJS tyre options some time ago. My Yokohamas are 275/55x20 as shown below. These have a slightly higher sidewall / larger diameter than the more common 265/50x20 size. They fill out the guards nicely but front clearance is tight on wheels with standard PJS offset. Slightly more positive offset may be worth considering for wider tyres but I did not want to experiment.

I have done about 25,000 km with these on country roads, highways and rocky / steep gravel roads and occasionally in BKK or Pattaya traffic. The Yokohamas have more grip than the standard Bridgestones and do not feel as hard. I don't notice the small bumps as much and can brake harder before ABS kicks in. The Yokohamas made the steering sharper and eliminated some on centre vagueness with the Bridgestones. I can feel what the front wheels are doing much better. My tyres are around half worn now. So far no rock damage to rims or sidewalls, only minor punctures, (not unusual where I drive). One small disadvantage in dirty or wet conditions, the 10mm wider tyres with a more square profile tends to throw mud roster tails over the side of the car, especially noticable on the white paint.

I notice the ride and steering of a friends Fortuner with the same OEM Bridgestones is not as good as my PJS with Yokohamas. However the Fortuner engine is smoother, quieter and has better low speed response though.

The PJS standard suspension is a little soft and under damped for higher speeds but stiffer or more damping would not help on the rough roads I drive on, so I have not changed anything. I will probably upgrade to better quality dampers on replacement.

DJH77's post on the Speedkit is interesting. There are more posts under "Cheap Diesel Perfomance" or something similar. If you go this way, take care on low speed corners on slippery bitumen or loose gravel. Wind up the turbo and some diesel torque + cornering weight transfer with the relatively high C.G. and the open rear diff will spin the inside rear wheel easily. Can be fun or inconvenient depending on the situation.

IMO Matt Black film looks good with the white PJS. I have 40% front / 60% side window film like you mention and it is a good compromise but I would not want any darker. My dealer threw in dark side window shields and with the 60% side window film and the chunky PJS front column front right quarter visibility needs care in intersections at night.

Have fun with your new car.

Thanx for the excellent and in-depth critique!

I think the 275/55/20s, with the additional +70mm sidewall, look good on the PSJ. I only wish those good Yokohama tires had more tread life. violin.gif

Hi Guys, my 2010 PJS or Montero Sport as it is known here in the Philippines is fit with stock Bridgestones and i'm inclined to replace them with Thai Michelins 17, prefer thai because I know they are super long lasting, Yoko's out of the question cause my experience with them is that they don't last as long as even the Bridgestones.

Can anyone point me out as to where and how much these would cost in Thailand? any english speaking dealers you can refer me to?

I'm in Manila and wouldn't mind shipping them over, they're hardly available over here, and I do travel to BKK occassionaly, many thanks in advance.

I have rented three Pajero Sports from TRAC over the past couple of months (waiting for the Ranger), all brand new and red-plated. I haven't any history with this model since TRAC had Fortuners before but they are replacing them with Pajero's. Great choice IMHO. I found that they had plenty of power, especially for overtaking and getting away from bumper riders. I managed to top-out around 160kph on the elevated when leaving the Asoke office at 5pm for a 6:10pm flight from Suvarnabhumi... nailed it! I was pleasantly surprised and would suggest there's enough power for the OP. I had also rented Spacewagons from TRAC and they are also fast but a gas guzzler when thrashed IMHO.

Took my new Ranger XLT for a run from Udon to Khon Kaen yesterday, plenty power from the 2.2, stressless cruising at 120kph and enough power when 'planted' to get up and go when needed. I think I managed about 145kph at one point but wasn't quite flat out. It happily lays rubber from a standing start as well.

Hi Guys, my 2010 PJS or Montero Sport as it is known here in the Philippines is fit with stock Bridgestones and i'm inclined to replace them with Thai Michelins 17, prefer thai because I know they are super long lasting, Yoko's out of the question cause my experience with them is that they don't last as long as even the Bridgestones.

Can anyone point me out as to where and how much these would cost in Thailand? any english speaking dealers you can refer me to?

I'm in Manila and wouldn't mind shipping them over, they're hardly available over here, and I do travel to BKK occassionaly, many thanks in advance.

Recommended retail price from Michelin Thailand, 265/65 R17. The Latitude Cross Manufactured in Poland is 7,690 Baht, which i think is the best choice. Tha highway Tyre is 7,500 Baht. Have a look at Michilin THAILAND SITE.

I have rented three Pajero Sports from TRAC over the past couple of months (waiting for the Ranger), all brand new and red-plated. I haven't any history with this model since TRAC had Fortuners before but they are replacing them with Pajero's. Great choice IMHO. I found that they had plenty of power, especially for overtaking and getting away from bumper riders. I managed to top-out around 160kph on the elevated when leaving the Asoke office at 5pm for a 6:10pm flight from Suvarnabhumi... nailed it! I was pleasantly surprised and would suggest there's enough power for the OP. I had also rented Spacewagons from TRAC and they are also fast but a gas guzzler when thrashed IMHO.

Took my new Ranger XLT for a run from Udon to Khon Kaen yesterday, plenty power from the 2.2, stressless cruising at 120kph and enough power when 'planted' to get up and go when needed. I think I managed about 145kph at one point but wasn't quite flat out. It happily lays rubber from a standing start as well.

There's a couple of videos online showing the acceleration to 160/180 km/h for the 3.2. I found a similar run for a 1.8 honda civic, and the time to 160km/h was identical between the two, at 26 seconds. I think that's pretty impressive, but not sure about how your 2.2 would compare. However I think the 3.2 would pull faster times from 80-120 (7 sec); I think my honda civic 2.0 is 8/0 second range. Good for overtaking!

There's a couple of videos online showing the acceleration to 160/180 km/h for the 3.2. I found a similar run for a 1.8 honda civic, and the time to 160km/h was identical between the two, at 26 seconds. I think that's pretty impressive, but not sure about how your 2.2 would compare. However I think the 3.2 would pull faster times from 80-120 (7 sec); I think my honda civic 2.0 is 8/0 second range. Good for overtaking!

The 2.2 wouldn't be in the running IMHO. When I was clipping along at +140, the back end was dancing a wee bit on the rough patches. But it is a base model pickup, with no fancy underpinnngs, no load in the back and new tires at 40psi on a hot surface. The plan is to change up to the 3.2 with all the fixin's next year if I want to but we will see. I have a run over the mountains from Udon to Bangkok and Pattaya next week so we will see how knackered I am after that as an indicator of how hard I needed to push it.

I opted for the 2.0 CR-V after a friend who had purchased the smaller engined unit commented that it lacked the guts after many road trips he made to Chiang Mai from Pattaya and back. Haven't had any complaints with the 2.0 CR-V and I have done the Mitraparb about a dozen times now.

PS. OK, the wife complains.... it's her CR-V!

Edited by NanLaew

The 2.2 wouldn't be in the running IMHO. When I was clipping along at +140, the back end was dancing a wee bit on the rough patches. But it is a base model pickup, with no fancy underpinnngs, no load in the back and new tires at 40psi on a hot surface. The plan is to change up to the 3.2 with all the fixin's next year if I want to but we will see. I have a run over the mountains from Udon to Bangkok and Pattaya next week so we will see how knackered I am after that as an indicator of how hard I needed to push it.

I opted for the 2.0 CR-V after a friend who had purchased the smaller engined unit commented that it lacked the guts after many road trips he made to Chiang Mai from Pattaya and back. Haven't had any complaints with the 2.0 CR-V and I have done the Mitraparb about a dozen times now.

PS. OK, the wife complains.... it's her CR-V!

I must say that the 2010 CR-V 2.0L that I drove from Udon to Chiang Mai, though otherwise a sweet riding 'city' car, was wholly underpowered: so much so, that it almost didn't make it up one particular mountain grade! For a few moments, I thought it was literally going to roll backwards! I was really sweating bullets.....it's 'passing gear' was weak, too! I told myself, 'Never again'!

I do wonder how much better the 2.4L would have been. I am use to 3.0L powered SUVs - I literally go up and down those mountains like it's a day at the Grand Prix!

• 1 month later...

I just bought the 2012 quartz brown 4WD PJS. But I was wondering is there any pajero sport dakar in thailand? because when I ask about dakar version to the seller, they told me that mine is the top version. and also where I can buy the honey comb grill and other accessories for PJS in bangkok?

I just bought the 2012 quartz brown 4WD PJS. But I was wondering is there any pajero sport dakar in thailand? because when I ask about dakar version to the seller, they told me that mine is the top version. and also where I can buy the honey comb grill and other accessories for PJS in bangkok?

Have a look at R styleracing shops on the net. They have a good range of extras including the Metal grill with Day lights incorporated, this looks great and protects the intercooler from being damaged by stones.

• 2 weeks later...

tian28, I saw some Pajero Sports on a recent visit to Jakarta with the honey comb grill, sunroof and disc rear brakes. Not sure if this is the Dakar model you referred to but the grill looked very similar to the one in the Triton Plus in Thailand. The Triton has different headlights so I wonder if the grill is the same part.

Pity we don't get those rear disc brakes like Indonesia and Australia.

tian28, I saw some Pajero Sports on a recent visit to Jakarta with the honey comb grill, sunroof and disc rear brakes. Not sure if this is the Dakar model you referred to but the grill looked very similar to the one in the Triton Plus in Thailand. The Triton has different headlights so I wonder if the grill is the same part.

Check with Runstop and see if they have or are developing a rear conversion kit.

Check with Runstop and see if they have or are developing a rear conversion kit.

they have...