Trayvon Martin shooter makes first court appearance

News_Editor

Trayvon Martin shooter makes first court appearance

2012-04-13 08:42:06 GMT+7 (ICT)

SANFORD, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) -- Florida neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who shot and killed unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in February, made his first court appearance on Thursday after being charged with second-degree murder a day earlier.

Zimmerman, 28, wore a one-piece gray jumpsuit as he entered a small courtroom at the John E. Polk Correctional Facility (JEPCF) in Sanford just after 1:30 p.m. local time. He appeared before judge Mark E. Herr who was not in the courtroom but was speaking through a closed-circuit TV connection.

During the brief appearance which lasted a little more than four minutes, Zimmerman stood up straight, looked straight ahead and said "Yes, sir," twice after being asked basic questions about the charge against him and his attorney. His hair was shaved down to stubble and he had a thin goatee, which appeared consistent with his booking photo from the day before.

Judge Herr said he found probable cause to move ahead with the case and that an arraignment will be held on May 29 at 1:30 p.m. local time before another judge. Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, did not ask for bail during the hearing, reportedly to avoid arousing fervor.

Also on Thursday, a three-page court document provided new details about the prosecution's case. Zimmerman has claimed he acted in self-defense when he shot 17-year-old Trayvon in Sanford on February 26. The neighborhood watch volunteer had told a 911 operator that Trayvon was acting suspiciously and, despite being told to stay in his vehicle, got out of his SUV after which a confrontation ensued. Zimmerman claims he was being attacked by Trayvon when he fired the shot.

The shooting prompted allegations that Zimmerman, who is half Hispanic, was motivated by racism, a claim which has been denied by Zimmerman's relatives, friends and supporters who say he has been unfairly vilified by the media. The investigation has also been complicated by Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force when they believe they are in danger of being killed or suffering serious injuries.

In the affidavit of probable cause released on Thursday, the prosecution alleges that Zimmerman followed and confronted Trayvon after profiling the teenager. "[Trayvon] Martin was on the phone with a friend and described to her what was happening," the document read. "The witnesses advised that Martin was scared because he was being followed through the complex by an unknown male and didn't know why."

The document adds: "Martin attempted to run home but was followed by Zimmerman who didn't want the person he falsely assumed was going to commit a crime to get away before the police arrived. Zimmerman got out of his vehicle and followed Martin. [..] Zimmerman confronted Martin and a struggle ensued."

The document alleges that Zimmerman disregarded instructions from a police dispatcher to stop following Trayvon. "Witnesses heard people arguing and what sounded like a struggle," the document read. "During this time period witnesses heard numerous calls for help and some of these were recorded in 911 calls to police. Trayvon Martin's mother has reviewed the 911 calls and identifies the voice crying for help as Trayvon Martin's voice."

If convicted of second degree murder, a murder that is not premeditated or planned in advance, Zimmerman could face a prison sentence of up to 25 years to life. Zimmerman's new attorney, Mark O'Mara, said during a news conference in Orlando on Wednesday that his client will plead not guilty.

"I think he's troubled by the fact that the state decided to charge him," O'Mara said on Wednesday when asked by reporters how Zimmerman reacted to the charge and arrest. "I think anyone who would be charged with second-degree murder would be scared. So yes, certainly he is frightened."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-13

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it seems 50/50 as to guilt or innocence. The information has been very confusing so far.

How do you find a jury who have not swallowed loads of soundbites from the press based on conjecture, supposition and quite frankly distasteful political opportunism?

One report described Zimmerman as a 'self appointed' neighborhood watch volunteer.

How can this racist be allowed to carry a gun.

Zimmerman was chosen as the neighborhood watch coordinator by his neighbors in the homeowner association where the incident happened. Zimmerman is also licensed to carry a firearm.

The February 2012 homeowner association newsletter requested that crime victims "call our captain, George Zimmerman" after calling the police. “He (Zimmerman) once caught a thief and an arrest was made,” said Cynthia Wibker, secretary of the homeowners association.

He tutored black youth for free and is not a racist.

http://dailycaller.c...artin-shooting/

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

One report described Zimmerman as a 'self appointed' neighborhood watch volunteer.

So all Blacks who carry a gun are racist too eh!

If it was self-defence it was not murder and there is not enough evidence to judge yet.

He'll be convicted of something. Bank on it. Maybe not 2nd degree murder though.

The Time Scale of the actual charge being brought to bear will be "exploited" to the full by the defence which IMHO is perfectly legimate ,Lets face it the deceased family are not interested in "justice" only revenge ,of course the "race card" will be undoubtedly the"order of the day", and played to the full by people who strangely refer to themselves first as Africans and secondly Americans !!

If it was self-defence it was not murder and there is not enough evidence to judge yet.

He'll be convicted of something. Bank on it. Maybe not 2nd degree murder though.

The Time Scale of the actual charge being brought to bear will be "exploited" to the full by the defence which IMHO is perfectly legimate ,Lets face it the deceased family are not interested in "justice" only revenge ,of course the "race card" will be undoubtedly the"order of the day", and played to the full by people who strangely refer to themselves first as Africans and secondly Americans !!

Oh, please. You're playing the race card here and it smells bad. That's what Americans do:

Irish Americans

Italian Americans

Arab Americans

African Americans

Chinese Americans

Filipino Americans

Mexican Americans

etc., etc., etc.

The family wants JUSTICE!

Not too many people identify as Canadian Americans though ...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Oh, please. You're playing the race card here and it smells bad. That's what Americans do:

Irish Americans

Italian Americans

Arab Americans

African Americans

Chinese Americans

Filipino Americans

Mexican Americans

etc., etc., etc.

The family wants JUSTICE!

Not too many people identify as Canadian Americans though ...coffee1.gif

Wrong, they want the guy to be found Guilty irrespective of the Evidence.

Wrong, they want the guy to be found Guilty irrespective of the Evidence.

That might be true and you can't expect the family to be objective. They want someone to pay. The man who shot the gun would be the obvious suspect, yes? I agree with the idea of having the trial, of course. Bring it on. I bet he's convicted of at least manslaughter.

Who you gonna believe? JT or

Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz: Trayvon Martin Affidavit So Thin It Won’t Make It Passed a Decent Judge

Believe this. He'll get at least a manslaughter CONVICTION. Edited by Jingthing

Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz: Trayvon Martin Affidavit So Thin It Won’t Make It Passed a Decent Judge

Believe this. He'll get at least a manslaughter CONVICTION.

Would you count a plea bargain as a conviction? The guy is a dummy. I bet they can con him into accepting a plea.

It would indeed look politically embarrassing for some people if you are wrong. huh.png

It would indeed look politically embarrassing for some people if you are wrong. huh.png

A lot of Florida crackers in Florida.

Would you count a plea bargain as a conviction? The guy is a dummy. I bet they can con him into accepting a plea.

Of course that would be a conviction. If he thinks he can avoid that in trial, its his choice. I also don't expect a 2nd degree murder conviction.

Of course that would be a conviction. If he thinks he can avoid that in trial, its his choice. I also don't expect a 2nd degree murder conviction.

Ya, I thought you would say that. I was going to offer you a friendly wager that a jury never convicts him of anything but I don't think a jury will ever see this one.

Let it go to trial. If he is proved innocent, so be it. Yes, there will be riots if that happens, but that shouldn't influence the jurors.

I don't know or care if he is racist. I do know a boy is dead and Zimmerman murdered him.

You know?

None of the facts have yet been established. The accused is entitled to a fair trial.

It pains me to argue with you, because I appreciate your point. I am not going to defend the gun toting culture or the profiling even if understandable. You and I are on the same page. However, there is far too much haste in rushing to judgement. All I know is that a young adult was killed tragically. We do not know what type of person the deceased was. What if he was prone to violent outbursts? I, like probably millions of others look at a picture of the deceased and see someone that is non threatening and not to be flippant, but a nice looking kid. However, in the dark and under the circumstances, one doesn't know what happened, yet.

I sincerely doubt that Mr. Zimmerman went out on that night with the intent to kill a young man, nor do I think it was his intent to kill anyone even when he fired his gun. Hence, the use of the term "murder" is most likely inappropriate. Negligent, most likely, criminally negligent, perhaps, but a murderer, sorry, probably not in law.

Let it go to trial. If he is proved innocent, so be it. Yes, there will be riots if that happens, but that shouldn't influence the jurors.

A court does not establish innocence. The finding is either guilty or not guilty. It is up to the DA to prove guilt.

The shooter wanted to kill the boy that is why he disobey's the dispatcher and went to confront a kid talking on his cell phone.

Ulysses and a few others, imagine this scenario. The gun went off and killed the vigilante, what would happen to the kid. Will the police just say we asked the fattie to stay in his car and stop following or the police claim trayvorn was acting in self defense?

Why would a teenager walking around a nice neighborhood talking on his cell be a cause for armed assault?

• Like 1