Visa In Old Passport

Can someone help me on this? I checked the board but the most recent posting appears to be Dec 02.

My passport is due for renewal (that’s expired not out of pages as you can add pages to a US passport) about 2 months before the expiration of my “Retirement Visa”. Can I use/show the old passport until it is time to renew the visa or do I have to reapply?

Get the new passport from your Embassy together with a standard letter and bring that letter plus old and new passport to immigration. They will transfer the current visa, TM card and entry stamp to the new passport. Free of charge at your local Immigration office!

Agreed Lopburi, I have heard getting a new passport from the embassy can take quite a while too as it all gets sent to the US and then the new one sent back to the embassy. Best to contact the embassy and ask them how long it takes to get a new passport here in Thailand.

just a note about 'visa in old passport':

Immigration is no problem. I never got a letter from the embassy (German), just took old (voided) and new PP to Suan Plu and they transferred the visa within a few minutes at no cost. Done this five times over the past 20 years, last time in 2001.

BUT:

The Land Transport Department (at least the Bang Kun Thien, Thonburi branch) REQUIRES to see the ORIGINAL visa when you apply for or renew a driver's license.

so keep your old PP which has the original visa.

opalhort

And do it before it gets down to six months as replacement passport has to be issued in USA now and most countries will not accept travel with a passport that has less than six months remaining.

hello,

Do you know what happen if you're still in LOS when your password has less than 6 months of validity, and you want to make a visa run in a close border like Malaysia, Cambodia, or Laos ?

Do thai custom impeach you to come back to Thailand because your passport has less than 6 months of validity?

Thank you.

you won't be able to get a new visa with a passport which expires within 6 months but you may be able to get a new entry stamp on a current multi visa or 30 day stamp, but it is a very big MAYBE! you could well be refused entry with a passport like that.

get a new one first, if time is short most emabassies issue a one year emergancy passport for this purpose which can be obtained within 1-2 days.

opalhort

• 3 months later...
Get the new passport from your Embassy together with a standard letter and bring that letter plus old and new passport to immigration. They will transfer the current visa, TM card and entry stamp to the new passport. Free of charge at your local Immigration office!

hello,

Do you know if it is possible to transfer a 2 entries tourist visa when the first entry is already used? (didn't know that passport was about to expire when paid for 2 entries visa!)

thanks for help.

hello,

Do you know if it is possible to transfer a 2 entries tourist visa when the first entry is already used? (didn't know that passport was about to expire when paid for 2 entries visa!)

thanks for help.

the old stamp type visas stated "visa must be utilized by........if passport remains valid"

the new sticker type visas only state "valid until...."

in any case, immigration can only transfer an entry stamp to the new PP, if it is possible to transfer an entire visa it would have to be done by the Ministry of foreign affairs.

opalhort

Staple the old passport on the back of the new passport? That would work, but don't quote me on that...

this is what I did 10 or 11 years ago and it worked, had double Non-Imm-O, first entry used but the German embassy voided only the inside of the front and back covers (not the visa pages) and cut off the corners. The reason that I got a new PP was because the old one was full but had not yet expired!

I did get in on the second entry of the visa in the old PP but the entry stamp was placed in the new PP with a handwritten reference to my old PP number.

Not sure if this would still work today.

opalhort

• 2 years later...

I have a similar query which may affect some board members.

My extension to stay and work permit are issued in Songkhla as that is where the company's registered address is. However, i work a 7 hour bus ride away from Songkhla.

Do you think i will be able to get everything moved over from my old passport to my new one at my LOCAL office or will i have to go to SOngkhla?

My extension to stay runs out in April 07. If i do have to go to Songkhla, is it worth just waiting until April 07 to do it or will i get into trouble for that?

• 2 weeks later...

My extension to stay and work permit are issued in Songkhla as that is where the company's registered address is. However, i work a 7 hour bus ride away from Songkhla.

Do you think i will be able to get everything moved over from my old passport to my new one at my LOCAL office or will i have to go to SOngkhla?

My extension to stay runs out in April 07. If i do have to go to Songkhla, is it worth just waiting until April 07 to do it or will i get into trouble for that?

Well i went to my local office, Phuket, and they had a minor head fit, saying that only the Songkhla office could do it. Bah.

Anyone know if this has to be done in person or can i get the girls in the songkhla office to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i went to my local office, Phuket, and they had a minor head fit, saying that only the Songkhla office could do it. Bah.

Anyone know if this has to be done in person or can i get the girls in the songkhla office to do it?

On a similar note:

Does anyone know if Pattaya immigration (Jomtien) will transfer a non-imm 'O' into a new passport?