North Korea Admits Rocket Launch Failed

News_Editor

North Korea admits rocket launch failed 2012-04-13 20:53:25 GMT+7 (ICT) PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA (BNO NEWS) -- North Korea's state-run news agency admitted on Friday afternoon that the launch of its long-range rocket to put a weather satellite into orbit was a failure. It came after hours of complete silence from the North's government about the launch.The Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said the rocket was launched at 7:38 a.m. local time on Friday but 'failed to enter its preset orbit.' "Scientists, technicians and experts are now looking into the cause of the failure," KCNA said in a brief news report, giving no other details about the failure.According to U.S. officials, the Taepodong-2 ballistic missile, which carried the Kwangmyongsong-3 (Bright Star-3) weather satellite, was launched from the Sohae Satellite Launching Station in Cholsan county of North Pyongan province. "The missile was tracked on a southerly launch over the Yellow Sea," the U.S. Northern Command said in a statement.Both South Korean and U.S. officials believe the rocket failed about a minute after takeoff, after which the debris landed in the Yellow Sea. "Initial indications are that the first stage of the missile fell into the sea 165 km (102 miles) west of Seoul," U.S. Northern Command said. "The remaining stages were assessed to have failed and no debris fell on land."The international community, including countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Russia, France, South Korea, Japan, and other countries, quickly condemned the attempted rocket launch, calling it a violation of United Nations (UN) Security Council Resolutions and a threat to regional security. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-13

So they admitted it went wrong in public. I think this is a significant move on their part.

Look, just like our hosts here, they cannot be seen to lose face, but I think in their own way they are trying to put out feelers....

So they admitted it went wrong in public. I think this is a significant move on their part

Am I correct in thinking that the food aid programme has ceased?

Possibly this admittance of failure is a calculated move so as to qualify for the, ''Creep of the Week Award,'' and thus food aid is restored due to super grovel mode being in place.